Grey's Anatomy 3/27 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DavidTigerFan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Wow, recorded this and was pleasantly surprised. The lead character is a great actresss and very cute too. She could use some meat on her bones though. Love the green eyes... :)

Reminds me of the newness I felt when I watched ER for the first time. I certainly hope it does well. Wiht luck the lead in from DH does it well.

-D

2. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    I figured that the guy she slept with would turn out to be somebody at the hospital.

For a while during the morning after scene I thought the lead was Erica Durance (Lois Lane on Smallville).

I didn't see the little "twist" coming at the end, although the hints were there in hindsight. I was thinking maybe her voice over narration was a letter she had been writing to her mom. :eek:

3. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought this was pretty good. I knew as soon as George promised the wife of the heart patient guy that he would be fine that he would die. It was an interesting show, and I think it will do well.

-Rose

4. sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I watched the first half, but the medicine is so bad and ridiculous that I couldn't watch any more.

5. zync

zync Long live TiVo

Feb 21, 2003
    I really enoyed this show. I'm not sure which part of medicine sneagle felt was "so bad". If this show does welll, ABC is going to have one heck of a line up.

NBC - are you paying attention? Hello? Anyone?

6. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    The ad's for this looked interesting so I set TiVo to record this episode. And I wasn't disappointed. I knew Patrick Dempsey worked at the hospital because in one of the promo's they showed him in scrubs.

But like Firerose said, as soon as 007 promised the family he would be ok, you KNEW he was dying. But the scene with 007 doing the operation, I really didn't know what would happen. I was hoping he would pull it off and was disappointed when he didn't.

J

7. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Explain yourself. What was so bad?

8. sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I stopped watching after the interns took copies of the chart, but here is what I recall...

1. They are supposed to be surgical residents...why did they respond to the girl having seizures in the ER. The ER should have handled that and contacted PEDIATRICS not surgery

2. The surgical attending asked the interns for help for the seizures. Why not a Neurologist and ideally a Pediatric Neurologist.

3. The Nazi resident is still just a resident...she should not have an atittude about being woken up by an intern in the middle of the night.

4. Having a intern perform a surgery on Day 1 (July 1st?) is silly. He would have no idea what to do and the attending would not just be standing there and watching. More realistic would be the intern being at the table and holding a retractor.

5. The interpersonal relations are so far from reality that it is absurd. Particularly the ideas that interns are slaves in wrong. It may make good TV, but it paints a poor and inaccurate picture of physicians in training.

6. The same attending does an appendectomy and open heart surgery?

7. If informed consent before open heart surgery consists of 'well, it's surgery, there are risks' then we are all in trouble.

I am sure there is more, but I think that should be enough. I agree that some of the 'soap opera' was okay, but the poor medical stuff is a distraction and makes the show unwatchable (IMHO) I wonder who their medical advisors are.

9. sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    One more thing...surgical training is FIVE years post medical school.

So, how is an intern supposed to perform an appendectomy day one out of medical school?

10. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Okay, I only watched it because of the name. My ex-wife is an Occupational Therapist (remedial physical therapy). We were together during her med school years and well, one of the books was Gray's Anatomy. It was the hardest book she had. I was curious what the show would even be about. But yes, it's kinda Scrubs meets Chicago Hope.

11. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I guess I'm going to have to be hooked on this show. All the staff are walking around with my initials on their white coats SGH......

12. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Two words:

Katherine Heigl

I'd watch her read the phone book.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm willing to give the show some more time... it's a pilot, and pilots tend to be universally fairly weak. The writing had a little flavor of Aaron Sorkin, and the editing seemed very J.J. Abrams (the parts with the musical accompaniment especially).

It's a refreshing change of pace from what ER has become. I still watch ER, but it's not the same as it once was.

14. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I have never been one to let technical errors ruin a story for me. I'm not in the medical field (although my wife is an RN), so I wouldn't know what was right or not. I recently watched the making of Top Gun and the technical advisor was talking about some of the inaccuracies and he mentioned that it took him a while to accept the fact that they were making a movie and not a documentary.

Bottom line, I liked the show and will continue to watch.

15. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I'm a little freaked out by Sandra Oh! The long face tiny eyes and high eyebrows, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

16. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    Isn't her character's name in this show the same name as her character in Roswell? Well first name at least, not sure about the last name.

J

17. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Yes, my wife pointed her out (she watched Roswell, not me) and indicated that she was also Isabelle on Roswell .. but didn't ask people to call her Izzy there.

She's tall.

Overall, the show was "OK" ... some of the character and plot predictability (you know Meredith was going to be better than the rest, that 007 would promise everything would be OK [and it wouldn't], Dempsey's eventual position in the hospital [and of course, he's also really good]). The dialogue was pretty good, especially considering i felt the plot writing was weak. And the 'twist' of the mother at the end was extraneous. But as others have said, pilot episodes are forced into corners sometimes. I'd rather have Boston Legal back, but I'll watch this for now.

18. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    But worth the climb as we used to say.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Cute show - watchable if predictable. Reminded me very much - almost character for character - of St. Elsewhere.

20. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I second that :) :) :) :) :)