Grey's Anatomy 2/12/2006 (S02E17) "As We Know It (Part II)"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1 of 101
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I so knew that thing was going to explode when the bomb squad guy was carrying it out through the hallway in slow motion. And when Meredith followed to watch, it was a done deal.

Why is this kind of stuff so predicatable?

Good episode though. If you ignore the unrealistic aspects of the explosive device.

2. Feb 12, 2006 #2 of 101
    Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004

haha no joke i saw that comming too...but right when he started walking away with it, im no expert but i assume they would put it in some kind of box to detonate it, right? thats what it looked like he was going for, why wouldnt they have put the box right near it so they could put it in n close it up...haha he had to walk all the way out there it was like ..... dead man walking

3. Feb 12, 2006 #3 of 101
    crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    "George...stop looking at my va-jay-jay."

I was also surprised that there wasn't a bomb container right next to the table in the OR. I thought that was stupid. But overall it was a good ep.

4. Feb 12, 2006 #4 of 101
    Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I'm sorry, Meredith, that close to the schrapnel and hitting her head on the floor that hard would be in the ER, not the shower...

5. Feb 13, 2006 #5 of 101
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I guess I'm in the minority so far. Even though this ep was made up of all the same stuff as Part I, which was terrific, I thought it basically didn't work. Not one bit of it wasn't predictable, right down to the bomb going off, Bailey's husband coding and then coming back, and Bailey herself coming around and delivering her baby. Of course we knew that no one significant was going to die, but last week created tension via great pacing and unexpected developments. This episode just seemed oddly slow. And a little desperate -- did the Chief really need to have an anxiety attack?

As a result, all the little missed details I didn't care about last week really stood out. Yes, like Meredith handing the bomb over and then following it out into the hall. Like the bomb squad guy having to walk the bomb 100 feet away. Like no one wearing any kind of helmet or face protection. Like Yang popping in and out of operations and hanging around the bomb, when there's no way she would be allowed to do that. Like the guy not bleeding out even though it took Meredith a couple of minutes to act after Burke opened the wound. Stuff like that.

6. Feb 13, 2006 #6 of 101
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I can see the headline now: Bomb cop redmists all over actress, emoting capability reduced.

On a "Hey I just realized" note- Did anyone else notice the symmetry between the first scene of the first half and the last scene of the second half?

7. Feb 13, 2006 #7 of 101
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Yes, I loved that.

I expected it to explode once the bomb squad guy got around the corner, then when Meredith started to walk toward the hall, I was thinking "don't follow him, you idiot", and yet, I was still surprised when it actually exploded.

For some reason, I'm now hoping that George and Addison hook-up at some point.

8. Feb 13, 2006 #8 of 101
    vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Any episode that scum alex gets over on izzy I will not like at all. If the bomb would of taken alex and meredith the show would be much better.

9. Feb 13, 2006 #9 of 101
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Count me in as one of the multitude saying: "Hey, wouldn't they have a container to put the bomb in? So why isn't it right there?"

The no helmet or face protection thing, that I can explain. It's the same no-helmet rule that made Luke Skywalker and Han Solo take off their helmets when they were in the armor stolen from the stormtroopers. If you put the stars in helmets and face protection and cover up their faces, the audience can't tell who they are. ;)

Still very lame, though.

Once again I gotta give a :up: to the scenes with George.

George and Bailey rule.

Jan

10. Feb 13, 2006 #10 of 101
    MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I said to my wife last week ... "She's going to name the baby after O'Malley, and it's going to be George Bailey. Heh heh." I knew it'd be at least his middle name.

I can't be the only one who was thinking "I know they won't do it, but this would be such a great show if Meredith blew up ..."

11. Feb 13, 2006 #11 of 101
    Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Wow... nearly an entire thread of "I called it to my wife/husband/whoever."

12. Feb 13, 2006 #12 of 101
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One reason they often don't wear helmets and face-masks is because in Hollywood, helmets with facemasks are always lit from the inside. And obviously if it's lit from the inside, while it makes it easier for us to see their faces, it makes it almost impossible for them to see out because of the reflections. So it's actually SAFER not to wear the helmet at all, unless they're in a situation where they don't have to see where they're going or what they're doing.

13. Feb 13, 2006 #13 of 101
    jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    Totally predictable, and I loved it. I knew the explosion was coming, and I still jumped and then replayed it several times.

Of course they should have had a bomb container right there, but the point is drana, not reality.

I loved the symmetry of the beginning/end scenes.

14. Feb 13, 2006 #14 of 101
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Yeah, I knew the bomb squad guy was a goner as well. Although, I did jump when he blew up. Weird how that kind of fit in with the theme of the show, though, wasn't it?!? They were saying "sometimes you just know it's your time--you know you're going to die--etc. etc." And sure enough, as soon as the bomb was in that guy's hands I just KNEW he was going to die. Not the same thing, I know, but still...

I also immediately caught, and loved, the (anti-)symmetry between the shower scenes. Although I probably would have missed it if they hadn't included the first one in the "previously on..." clips for the second one. I was half expecting them to ask George to come in and help them, although that would have been weird.

Funny, I said exactly the same thing about Meredith not being admitted. I thought the explosion was at least slightly more realistic than most in how it threw her back and they showed her really smashing her head on the floor--pretty amazing stunt. No way she'd be allowed to go home after something like that: they'd keep her for observation in the hospital. The shower part wasn't too bad--after all they're not going to let her lie there with some guy's guts sticking to her face overnight, and if she wasn't visibly altered they might let her take a shower with assistance rather than a sponge bath or something. But for her to be home in bed? Not.

15. Feb 13, 2006 #15 of 101
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Here's the thing that confused me. When the bomb went off, they weren't far from the operating room where Burke was, yet when he came downstairs, he didn't seem to know that a bomb had gone off. A bomb of that magnitude that caused so much destruction would have been heard by the entire hospital - so why no reaction from anyone? Am I the only one that caught this?

16. Feb 13, 2006 #16 of 101
    jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ

From the way McDreamy was desperately searching for Meredith, I think they knew.

17. Feb 13, 2006 #17 of 101
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I really don't think that's the case. I think he was looking for her because he knew she was the bomb girl. The bomb exploded, they cut to commercial, and then you go to the ER where there doesn't seem to be any kind of reaction to the explosion.

18. Feb 13, 2006 #18 of 101
    jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I just figured that it took a while to finish the operations after the bomb exploded - that even though it was shown right after the explosion, the scene took place some time later.

I also thought it was an awkward transition.

19. Feb 13, 2006 #19 of 101
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    No you're not. That was the first thing I said to my wife -- "How can they be walking around not realizing a live shell just exploded?" That was the most puzzling part of the whole show. And the bomb squad guy was red shirt all the way....from last week.

20. Feb 13, 2006 #20 of 101
    bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Maybe, but the whole thing was a mess from a consistency or believability point of view, just like part one. That's normal for this show, except for the magnitude of the drama. Normally minor dramas and small messes. This week and last week, major drama, big mess. Give me back the little messy dramas :)