grey screen on some channels after 9.1 update

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dubluv, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1 of 11
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

Advertisements

after my tivoHD rec'd the new 9.1 update, some channels are displaying only as a gray screen. is this a known issue? i tried reinitializing both cards, but it still does this on one tuner. i'm not sure if its one cc that is causing this, or tivo s/w or a combination. i dont want to call for a tech visit until i know what i'm dealing with. they told me if the repair wasnt a cable issue, i' would be charged, as i'm sure this is standard operating procedure.

2. Oct 7, 2007 #2 of 11
    NCC2893

NCC2893 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    New York
    Seems like quite a few people are experiencing this (including me, one one of my Series 3 boxes) but TiVo doesn't seem to have a response or solution yet. Rebooting does seem to clear it, but it reoccurs in a day or two. Really, really annoying.

Update: Earlier today, I tuned to an HD channel and briefly got a message on the bottom of the screen saying "HDMI connection not permitted." The screen was blank briefly, but then tuned to the channel fine. Is everyone experiencing this problem using HDMI, instead of component? Could this be and HDCP handshaking issue?

3. Oct 7, 2007 #3 of 11
    csallen

csallen New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I'm experiencing the same thing with my new TiVoHD still with software version 8.1. The TiVo menus continue to work but no channel or sound display. The only solution is to reboot the unit. I've noticed that just before the problem the TiVo Central screen goes to the blue background rather than the reddish/orange background.

4. Oct 7, 2007 #4 of 11
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    i also noticed the tivo central screen turned to gray, so it was after that i decided to reboot. after restarting, i've gotten most channels to work on one tuner, but not all. its kinda random, no animal planet (ch57, cablevision of woodbury) but other channels working but nothing above 714 (our HD channels start at 700), so quite a few HD channels are out, plus the starz & hbo hd. i called cs, and they're coming tomorrow. i'm thinking this is a tivo problem somehow related to the new 9.1 s/w update. any ideas?

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 11
    TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002

Advertisements

I have observed the same problems with my Tivo HD and version 8.1 software. If I have my screen border colors set to black then the tivo backgrounds will be black when the problem occurs on all the backgrounds.

If I have my border colors set to gray then all the backgrounds will be gray when the problem occurs.

Most of the time a reboot solves the problem but one time I had to actually cycle power to clear the problem.

6. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    I am having the exact same issue on TivoHD and 8.1. no cable cards installed yet.

7. TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Well I have had version 8.1, 9.1 and now 9.2 same problem with the screen background going black.

You can't watch live tv or previously recorded programs during this problem. But what I discovered after a reboot to clear the problem was that my Tivo HD was actually recording a program via cable card and it actually recorded properly even though I couldn't view what it had recorded until after a reboot.

I have contact Tivo support several times about this, the first time they suggested 9.1 software which didn't help.

The second time they suggested having the hardware swapped out. Which I am in the progress of doing.

I asked a second level support person at Tivo if he had seen this issue and he admitted he has and sometime swapping out the Tivo HD resolves it and other times it does not.

So I guess I will have to wait for my new Tivo HD to arrive, swap the unit out and see how the new one behaves.

So from my perspective it appears to be non cable card, possibly not software since I have had 3 versions so far and probably some type of hardware issue.

But since others have seen the same problem I wonder if Tivo has resolved the issue yet ?

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It sounds like there are several different issues mentioned in this and other 9.1 threads.

At least some of these issues are fixed in 9.2. If you don't yet have 9.2, you can sign up to get it here. It can take three business days to receive the software after you sign up.

One issue that doesn't seem to be fixed in 9.2 is a HDCP (HDMI) handshake issue with a limited number of displays. When this occurs, you get a solid black or gray screen. Neither menus nor video will display, but the tuners are still active and everything continues to record. Toggling your display video input -- such as from HDMI1 -> HDMI2 -> HDMI1 -- appears to fix the problem for some. Turning the display off and then back on fixes the problem for others.

You should not experience this issue if you are using component without a connected HDMI cable, but you could still experience this issue on component if you have a connected HDMI cable.

Tivo clearly needs to work on HDCP (HDMI) handshake compatibility in their code. But problems like this that affect some displays and not others can be difficult to diagnose. That's probably why it wasn't fixed in 9.2. If you see this problem, I would suggest you list the make and model of your display.

9. TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I am running my Tivo HD in component connection and I have had versions 8.1, 9.1 and 9.2 software and still have the same issues.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    So you can display menus and recorded programs, but not view live channels..

Have you checked whether the issue affects both analog and digital channels?

11. markw365

markw365 New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Just noticed this today. Looks like mine upgraded to 9.1 on Wed. No live TV except for the HD channels. :( It's also incapable of recording anything but the HD channels. :( Most the stuff I watch is on the weekends, and is usually racing, which isn't working right now. My weakest channel is 93 according to the Tivo channel strength meter. This is very irritating. Reboot/power cycle doesn't clear it.