Grey Screen After Power Outage

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RobynCee, Jun 26, 2011.

1. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Hi,
    We just had a power outage, and the TiVo HD now shows the welcome screen for a second or two, and then goes to a grey screen. We've tried it several times and no change. Sometimes the Welcome screen doesn't even show. What happened? Is there anything I can try? It was fine before. I've tried web searches, but I don't seem to find anything useful. Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a late production HDXL that still goes to grey screen about once every month or two when I go to bring it up. It's an upgraded, but still does it, 2TB workout room and backup unit that I don't use every day. Annoying, but I live with it.

Bedroom HDXL delays responding to commands for about 15 seconds after initial command. Annoying, but I live with it.

LR PXL works perfectly.

3. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for your reply, but this isn't something intermittent. It doesn't work. We've tried it a dozen times or more, and we get the welcome screen, and then the grey. That's all it does. I'd really like some advice on this if anyone has any to offer. The TiVo is only about 2 1/2 years old. I can't believe a power interruption would kill it.

4. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Your hard drive is corrupted due to the power outage possibly causing a head crash or something similar. There are kickstart codes that, I believe, cause the Tivo to do a drive check/repair, but they come with warnings. You'll either need to call Tivo or search on this forum to find out how. Sorry. I don't know. If that doesn't work, you will need to get a Tivo HD image and redo the drive via the upgrade thread. Once you have that, get a UPS. I've had one since my first hard drive crash due to a power outage; never had a problem since.

5. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I have a UPS and a surge protector. A UPS is fine for those intermittent power flickers, but my power was off for two hours and the TiVo had to be shut down. I searched this forum and everywhere else for answers and found nothing that made sense, that's why I asked for help... I have no idea what a TiVo HD image is. I guess I will look for those codes. I will also call TiVo soon. I try to avoid tech support, I have no real faith in them.

On another note, if this thing is broken, am I going to lose the remaining 6 months on my paid year or will they apply it to another unit? Thanks again.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    "a TiVo HD image" is a copy of the TiVo software that can be installed on a new hard drive.

It does sound like your hard drive is dead. Don't know what killed it since it is normally power flickers that kill them and your TiVo is connected to a UPS.

Any of your friends computer savvy? You need to get the existing drive tested to verify that it is the problem. If it is the problem, there are several options available for getting it replaced.

If the TiVo is damaged, you can either get it repaired or replace it. If you decide to replace it, talk to the TiVo CS and you should be able to arrange for a transfer of the service contract.

7. vio2112

vio2112 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    South of Heaven
    Huh? Weaknees has step by step instructions for all of the codes.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

8. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Believe it. I agree, hard drive issues. If you really need/want to save what was on it, contact Weaknees. They may be able to recover the data. Otherwise just buy into a preconfigured replacement drive.

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    From what I understand, all subscriptions except the lifetime are always good for the entire period. If the Tivo is broken, another like unit can replace it to resume the subscription.

If you cannot ultimately get it to boot, or even get it to run the kickstarts, that is probably going to be enough evidence that the unit is broken. If you purchased the unit new, I believe it has a one year waranty from Tivo. If you are not so technically inclined(opening up and troubleshooting Tivo's, computers, etc), your best option is to probably deal with Tivo for warranty support. I believe they will replace it with a like unit for $50. Of course they cannot replace your recordings.

Unless you can do the work yourself, and are very lucky, it may be from very expensive to impossible to recover the recordings.

Good luck.

10. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Well, I just wanted to post a follow-up for anyone that was curious. The kickstart codes won't work. The welcome screen doesn't stay up long enough for the light to flash. I called TiVo last night and the tech said there was nothing he could do and the unit was dead. He did say that there was several other things besides the hard drive it could be, but I have a hunch they're told to say that so as not to encourage people to do their own repairs. :)

So he offered to replace it for $150. A preconfigured new hard drive would cost $140, but what if that isn't the issue? Then I'm still screwed AND out some cash. So I found a brand new one on Amazon for $117.00 with shipping. I had a $25 gift card, so $92 and everything's brand new.

It's a shame about my recordings, but a lot of it was stuff I had transferred from my computer, and I can get them back. And a lot were nature programs, and they rerun those all the time. I lost a few movies, but I'll get over it. It's not worth the expense and/or bother to try a recovery.

Oh, and transferring the service is no problem as long as it's the same model. The tech said if I was going to upgrade to a Premiere, I would lose the remaining time on my year, because the pricing is different. (How screwed up is THAT?) Otherwise, I would have gotten one, but $19.99 a month for service is insane. It's close to double what I'm paying now, and I don't get anything extra, near as I can see.

So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that offered advice, it was really a help. :)

Oh, and as an aside, when the power went out, I first heard popping from outside, ran out just in time to see a tree branch RIP through the power lines in my neighbor's yard as the transformer blew up. Then the lines yanked free from the pole in MY yard, and then my OTHER neighbor's yard. OMG you should have seen the light show. Unreal... As this was happening, my husband says, "Hey, the power just went out!." My response: "Gee... Ya THINK??"

Have a great day, everybody. :)

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Something I am still curios about - You said you have a UPS and a surge protector. To which one is the TiVo connected?

12. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    The TiVo is plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into a UPS. (Which is also a surge protector in itself.) It wasn't really planned that way, I just happened to have the surge protector and it had the number of outlets I needed for the purpose. :)

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you can possibly arrange it, I would plug the TiVo directly into the UPS.

14. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I can do that, it should have an extra outlet in it. Could I ask why? It just doesn't seem like it would matter... Thanks!

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not being an EE, I don't know for sure. I do know that the way you have it now is generally discouraged. I also know that your TiVo was damaged.

I assume you have it plugged into a battery backup outlet and not surge protection only outlet.

Most UPSes have guarantees against equipment damage, but only of the equipment is directly connected to it.

Something else I just noticed. You said "the TiVo had to be shut down". How did you shut it down and how did you bring it back up?

16. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    There's a power switch on the surge protector. I used that. I've always done it that way. Not that I make a habit of interrupting the power to the TiVo, but sometimes it's necessary. Like when there's a power outage. :) My PS3, TV, and some other stuff is plugged into the same strip. Everything has always functioned well, and the UPS has always done its job. And I get a LOT of little power outages. This just happened to be a big one.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Do you know whether or not the TiVo was still working when you shut off the UPS?

18. RobynCee

RobynCee New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    My husband did the actual switch flipping while I shut down my computer in the next room. He says he believes it was on, but we were both kind of freaked out by what we had just seen, and the UPS beeping was maddening. :) But there's really no reason to think it wasn't. That setup has always served us well in the past, and my computer has the identical setup.

19. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    DON'T DO THAT. Tivo has a restart now that it didn't used to have in the Settings & Messages menu. Stopping any PC (and Tivo is a linux PC) without stopping things can corrupt things as you don't know what exactly it's doing when you pull the power. Tivo's and PC's have no reserve power to do a clean shut down; that's why a UPS is recommended. A Tivo is ALWAYS recording to the hard drive and abrubt shut downs are prevented by a UPS. That is what we on this forum have learned over the years. Always do a clean shut-down. Go into the restart (which we thankfully have now) and right when you do the three thumbs down and you hear the Tivo fan change, then (AND ONLY THEN) cut the power. That way you ensure that the hard drive is not being written to. It's just the nature of hard drives. You just never know when you interrupt it.

20. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Turning off the power is a perfectly fine way to shut down a TiVo. You will lose what is in the buffer but so what?

From personal knowledge, TiVo has had "restart" at least since the TiVo 2. Probably always had it. The reason for having an UPS is not so you can do a clean shutdown. It is to prevent momentary power outages. That is what generally causes disk damage.