Green Screen of Death

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by brewcrewfan, Nov 11, 2016.

1. brewcrewfan

brewcrewfan Member

Jun 27, 2010

Advertisements

I received the infamous screen on my Tivo Series 3 HD (attached). I am optimistic that it is not my internal hard drive but my external hard drive.

I bought the 1 TB My DVR expander in late 2011. It worked great until April 2016. It caused lots of pixelation and caused tivo to slow down. So I unhooked it. After a while I bought a new Esata cable thinking it might help. I hooked it up last night. It appeared to work just fine last night saying storage device now ready for use with this Tivo.

This morning I noticed the Tivo was very sluggish and pixelation. So I unhooked the hard drive and attempted to restart the tivo (I've done this before thinking I'd get the message that it could not detect external storage please do this to continue w/out using it, bla bla).

Now I was told it's been on the green screen.

I'm hoping it's the external and not internal. Any way to get out of the green screen?

Attached Files:

2. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I just got this on mine today...any help?

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you pull the drive and test it?

Scott

Teeps likes this.
  4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I've never had a TiVo recover, for any length of time, after a GSOD.
    Probably time for a new hard drive.
    That said; have you checked the power supply for failed or failing capacitors? search capacitor plague.

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

I've also never had GSOD complete on a drive that had issues.

If you didn't have an external drive in the picture, I would have said pull the drive and run extended tests on it to see if there are any errors. Many times they can be locked out and the drive still works. If there are bad errors that can't be avoice, do a bit copy onto a new drive and stick that back into TiVo. It should be able to complete the GSOD on the new drive.

Never having looked into external drives, I don't know how that affects the situation. Perhaps the same advice would hold.

6. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    It cycled through and corrected itself. I've had some freezing issues for the last year or so. My plan is to eventually just order a power supply and hard drive from weaknees and replace them both.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you have shows you want to save, get the same size drive and do a bit copy onto the new drive.

8. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I've already transferred the shows to my new 1TB Bolt. So just a Drive and power replacement is all I would need to spend on. I think Weaknees will put all the software onto a drive and then I can just replace it...

9. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I got an upgrade drive for my 648 S3 from DVR_Dude off ebay much less expensive than weaknees.
    However, I don't know if he sells power supplies.

10. Pachoo

Pachoo New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Having a similar problem as the original post.

I have a Tivo HD that had been working fine until just a few days ago. Got the green screen and tried to let it repair itself. Most of the time when it finished it would reboot and end up back on the green screen again after the powering up screens. But at least once or twice it has made it back to the tivo screen and it worked for a little bit until it ended up rebooting and green screen again.

I have taken out the drive and ran quick and extended test on the drive using a SATA to USB 3 and no errors showed up. Decided to backup the drive using Winmfs and it sees the drive as a tivo drive but msinfo says it is not a tivo drive and the backup just sits at processing. I am not sure if the drive is the problem or the power supply as it has one capacitor that needs to be replaced.

I am still using the original 160GB drive with no DVR expander. Thinking of upgrading the drive to 1TB as well.

Any help would be great so that I can use the tivo again.