Green Screen of Death

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Woch2331, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL

Advertisements

Yes, I have it too...

I've talked with Tivo about replacing my unit, but I was wondering if I could use my backup image (it's 3 year's old) and put it on a new hard drive and proceed from there?

I've download and created a bootable CD of mfstools, placed a new drive on the PC (slave settings) and then tried to copy the backup over.

I'm using the Tivo.upgrade instructions and getting confused when my commands aren't working.

mount /dev/hda /mnt

and then

mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hda

1. Is this worth the effort? Will it work?
    2. What commands should I be using?

I've been searching the forums and just getting more frustrated... thanks for any help.

Mike W

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Let's start with you telling us how your drives are hooked up to your computer, where the backup image is stored, size of original drive, and size of new drive. Might also be helpful to know manufacturer and model number of your TiVo unit.

3. starks9630

starks9630 New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    i just got the green screen, i've had my tivo less than 2 months...what should i do?

4. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    1. I have the 'new' drive hooked up as the slave on my other computer
    2. Backup image stored on a CD
    3. Original drive was 60 GB and the new one is also
    4. Tivo - 140060

Is idea even possible? If I get a new box, I guess I'll have to update that one too. Just thought this might save the hassle?

_

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005

Advertisements

So far you have provided partial info only. Your computer has two channels onto which to connect drives, a primary and a secondary. Each channel can have a master and a slave. It appears from what you have indicated so far that the computer's hard drive is the primary master (default) and your new Tivo drive is the primary slave (on same cable as computer hard drive) correct? Your CD drive is either a secondary master or secondary slave and we need to know which to indicate correct mfstools commands. Please confirm that the backup image on your CD was made from a 60GB hard drive as far as you know.

6. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    Sorry,

Wasn't sure exactly what you needed. (Thanks for your patience)

Primary Master - PC hard drive
    Primary Slave - Tivo drive
    Secondary Master - DVD drive
    Secondary Slave - CD-RW drive

As far as I know the image was created from the original Tivo drive (60GB)

7. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    Bought a new 160GB drive last night. If this doesn't work, I'll use it to upgrade the new box that's being mailed to me.

_

8. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Assumes you have removed Linux Mfstools cd and put CD with image into CD-CDRW drive:

mount /dev/hdd /mnt

and then

mfsrestore -s 127 -zxpi /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

then follow unmount directions and reinstall in Tivo

9. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    Trying to figure this out and reading the tivo-upgrade instructions.

Looks like I have to 'mount' my CD drive first? I have my tivo.bak file in my CD-RW drive which is set as Secondary Slave. Is this correct:

mount /dev/hdd /mnt

I received the message:

tivobootdisk kern.debug kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device idel(22,64)
    mount: block device /dev/hdd is write protected, mounting read-only
    tivobootdisk kern.debug kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
    tivobootdisk kern.debug kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root

I have a new 160GB drive attached as Primary Slave and entered:

mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdd

I received the message:
    /mnt/dos/tivo.bak: No such file or directory

I must need to configure the source and target files/directories... any help?

_

10. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You did not enter the restore command I gave you above:

mfsrestore -s 127 -zxpi /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

then follow unmount directions and reinstall in Tivo

Your tivo drive is hdb not hdd and your backup directory is /mnt not /mnt/dos

11. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    Sorry,

Didn't even see your response...

Unmount instructions:

umount -f -a -r

Then power down your PC (press Ctrl-Alt-Del and wait for the 'No more processes ... ' message or the system starts to reboot, then power down.)

Good?

_

12. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    Successful... well, sort of.

My current configuration had #1- original Tivo (60GB) + #2 - new drive (120GB)

I added #3 - newly backed up drive (160GB) in place of the #1 - Tivo unit and it booted up! But, I'm not 'seeing' drive #2 and my total viewing time is 167 hours.

Is there a way to reformat #2 to increase viewing capacity?

I'm still having issues with watching Live TV, but I'm starting a new thread for that.

_

13. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You need to attach both Tivo drives to the computer. Since you are working from a CD image you don't need the primary hard drive computer for this manuever so attach Tivo drive #2 to primary master. Make sure to get jumpers set correctly for master and slave on the two tivo drives when in computer.

mount /dev/hdd /mnt

mfsrestore -s 127 -zxpi /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hdb dev/hda

umount -f -a -r

One thing I am not sure about is the 127 swap file. For total of 280GB it should be 140 instead of 127 but then you have to run another command using tpip and I am not sure about the syntax. It is covered elsewhere on the forum. If the swap file is too small the built in Green Screen of Death fix utility will not be able to run and fix any problems detected by the software.

14. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    I guess I have 2 options:

1. Attach both drives and use the 'old' backup and then reinstall and update software as needed.

or

2. Make a 'new' backup of my current drive and then backup to both drives.

Recommendations? What about commands to create the new backup?

I guess I would have to do this with any new Tivo upgrade, correct?

_

15. Woch2331

Woch2331 Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Bloomington, IL
    Think there is any way to 'save' the programs already saved to the 'old' drive. Obviously, if I use the backup, I'll be rewriting over them. Was hoping that I could still get them, but that seems unlikely.

Mike

16. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    At this point are all the programs you desire to keep on the original 60GB drive and have you gone forward with trying to add a second drive? If you still have a one drive working machine then there may be hope in adding a second drive and preserving the programs already there. FYI once a drive is upgraded to a larger drive, the larger drive cannot be upgraded to an even bigger drive without using the original small image.

Since basically I am upgrading Tivo's for resale I am not into preserving anything on old drives so have not bothered to learn the commands necessary to do this but they are all covered in the notes that accompany the Linux software. Somebody else is going to have to come along and help you the rest of the way. Feel free to PM me for help as I will not be looking at this thread anymore.