Green Screen Always Bad HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by twelliott, Apr 13, 2006.

1. twelliott

twelliott New Member

Jul 20, 2004

Advertisements

So my 4 month old Series 2 just presented the Green Screen of Death (GSOD) upon a restart and I've tried all the tricks in the forums to try to get it back in working order to no avail. It just keeps rebooting every once in a while and gets to another GSOD. Called TiVo support and they said since it was a month out of the initial warranty, I would need to pay $50 for a replacement unit.

So my question is are GSOD always caused by a bad hard drive? If so, I can get a bigger drive and upgrade the recording space for about the same money as getting another 40 HR replacement unit from TiVo. I did an upgrade of my Series 1 box, so I know how "easy" this process is.

Thanks!

2. shagnscooby

shagnscooby New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    My hard drive just died after the last tivo upgrade. I have a series2 and just upgraded to a 200gb hd. I paid $99 but after rebates it's only $60. This is the link I used for the upgrade. http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com Now My tivo works great and I have 229 hours.
    Good Luck
    John

3. Moebius

Moebius Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Not there...
    It's the most common cause. Usually if it's something else, letting it go throught the reboot/gsod for a while will let it fix itself. Do a search for KickStart. You might try those instructions.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    There's no other reason I can think of, apart from corrupt software, that would cause repeated GSODs.

Of course, how you'd get corrupt software without any kind of drive fault is a mysery anyway. I guess you could get a corrupt block due to a power outage, but a single GSOD should fix that, so my money would be on the drive.

Upgrading a Series 2 is pretty easy, AFAIK (although I've not tried it as we only have S1s here in the UK :()

5. twelliott

twelliott New Member

Jul 20, 2004

Advertisements

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded and let you know that it was a bad drive after all. Since I don't have a disk image and I didn't want to bother with trying to get one, I just bought InstantCake . For $20 I have to say that this is a great way to upgrade your TiVo. It's dumb simple and works without changing drives around and running geeky Linux command lines that way I remember doing the other upgrade. I had a spare 120GB Seagate drive laying around, so I installed the software to that and have a functional TiVo again now in the process of getting back in use.

Thanks once again for the information and encouragement.

6. twelliott

twelliott New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Another note for those using the InstantCake software for this upgrade. Whatever image they use is the lowest common denominator version which DOES NOT have the Ethernet drivers when you run Guided Setup the first time. If you are like me and do not have a plain old phone line, you are out of luck. Or are you? A search of these forums turned up a few stories of getting Vonage to work, but results seemed mixed. A Google search turned up this link from the MAKE blog . It was for the DirecTiVo but I thought it was worth a try with my stand-alone box. It didn't work the first time, but looking down the comments I found a solution. The following setup worked for me with Vonage and a Linksys WRT54G router running the latest Linksys firmware (v4.20.7):

Set-up your TiVo to dial like this:
    Dial Prefix: 12122773895
    Call Waiting Prefix: *99,,*70,,
    Phone Available: Off
    Dial Tone Detect: Off
    Leave all the other settings as they are.

Yes, you have to hook up that long telephone cable that came with your TiVo for these calls. The first call is short and gets updated dial-in numbers for New York City. These don't make any difference because the number in the dial prefix is the actual number dialed. Once you get these, pick any random number and dial in for your software update (the long call). It took two times for me to get the software download, but other than that it worked fine; YMMV. Once the TiVo restarted, it automatically detected my USB Ethernet adaptor and set it to use this for connecting in the future. Once everything finished loading, I forced a network connection and the TiVo worked as expected. I now have a 132 hour TiVo :)