Greatest Doctor Who Poll Results

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jtown0620, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    UKTV had a poll to decide who is the greatest Doctor here is the results:

1st Place - David Tennant - 8866 votes
    2nd Place - Tom Baker - 2891 votes
    3rd Place - Christopher Eccleston - 2694 votes
    4th Place - Jon Pertwee - 1527 votes
    5th Place - Patrick Troughton - 513 votes
    6th Place - Peter Davison - 392 votes
    7th Place - William Hartnell - 373 votes
    8th Place - Colin Baker - 331 votes
    9th Place - Sylvester McCoy - 314 votes
    10th Place - Paul McGann - 140 votes

I agree with David but I would have to pick Eccleston at #2. I thought Series 1 was awesome though Tom Baker is an icon.

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I think it's a matter of age. I mean age of the Fans that is. Tom Baker was THE Doctor and would have been number 1 if the poll was run in the 70's-80's. Tennent and Eccleston are fresh new faces that are remembered. They do have great personalities, but you can't forget the classics. It is sort of like saying who is better Kirk or Picard.

3. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Personally I still prefer Eccleston over Tennant. I've warmed to Tennant since he started (hated him initially), but Eccleston still has a certain 'gravitas' that Tennant IMHO lacks.

4. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's how I would have done the top few:

1st Place - Tom Baker
    2nd Place - David Tennant
    3rd Place - Peter Davison
    4th Place - Christopher Eccleston

I'm surprised anybody even voted for Sylvester McCoy. His was my least favorite by far.

I think Tennant and Eccleston had a "deeper" character to portray, as the Doctor has a darker side that was never much of an option for the other actors. I'd discuss more but I don't feel like spoiler tagging the whole thing.

5. Honora

Honora Member

Oct 16, 2006

I remember reading an article years ago that said that your first Doctor was usually your favorite.

6. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    You always remember your first. LOL

7. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'd be interested to know what percentage of the respondents had enough familiarity with enough different Doctors to make an informed decision. :)

8. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    Tom Baker is the Doctor!

9. stubbsz

stubbsz New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Probably true in most cases although I don't think many votes would come in for McCoy whenever he had played the doc.

I started watching during the Pertwee era but I'd rank him no higher than Tom Baker... although I was distraught when Baker replaced Pertwee.
    -Adrian

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    1) Tom Baker
    2) Christopher Eccleston
    3) Jon Pertwee
    4) David Tennant

Eccelston and Tennant are the beneficiaries of a more three dimensional, emotional character. Tennant seems too much like a 98 lb weakling. As was mentioned earlier, he just doesn't have the gravitas that Eccleston had.

Patrick Troughton reminds me of Moe from the Three Stooges.

I never, ever liked Peter Davidson. He was a human sleeping pill.

I assume Doctor Who was broadcast live in the Hartnell days. When I see episodes from back then, it seems like he forgot a lot of his lines.

11. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    No it wasnt. He was getting on in age and he would forget or flub lines often.

12. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    All of the pre-Eccleson doctors, quite honestly, suffered from slow, campy writing. I can definately see why people like the Tom Baker Doctor so much--but I have yet to see an episode that didn't just drag compared to television today. Maybe we've just been MTV'ed to death, or maybe TV has gotten better.

That's why, if I had to vote, Eccleston and Tennant (not sure which order, but probably Tennant on top) would be at the top of my list. Other Doctors did a great job with the character, but the implementation is just painful for me to watch.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Did they do a poll for favorite companion?

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Mary Jane Smith will always be my one true love.

15. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Ah, HEM, I assume you man your one true love is SARAH Jane Smith? Won't she be hurt.

I was in love with Romana II, as was Tom.

16. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

+1 Tom Baker was the best imo.

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think he was conflating Doctor Who with Spider Man. :)

Sarah Jane is the girl you marry. Leela is the girl you cheat on Sarah Jane with. :D

18. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    While it is true Hartnell was in his twilight years, particularly at the end of his run as the Doctor, the series was more or less live-to-tape at that time. It was very much a "the show must go on" production, with time for reshoots only if there was no other way to patch the episode together (e.g.: a complete alien costume malfunction).

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Why shouldn't how the doctor was written be a factor in deciding who was the best doctor? I find it hard to distinguish between the actor and the writers in this case, and eccleston would thus be my favorite by quite a hefty margin. I really disliked most of the doctors prior to the new doctor who series.

20. styre

styre New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Here is my list, but my favorites tend to change depending on which doctor I have watched most recently.

1)Peter Davison
    2)Tom Baker
    3)Patrick Troughton
    4)William Hartnell
    5)David Tennant
    6)Christopher Eccleston
    7)Colin Baker
    8)Jon Pertwee
    9)Sylvester McCoy
    10)Paul McGann

Also news on a Doctor who Special. These have not been very good in the past, but still interesting to see old characters return.

Doctor Who legend Peter Davison is to step back into the Tardis – and come face to face with the current Doctor.

Peter, 56, who played the Timelord in the 1980s, will pull on his famous trenchcoat once again for a Children In Need special.

Bosses are tight-lipped about the storyline, written by Who scribe Stephen Moffat.

But an insider revealed: “The Doctor is forever travelling though time so there’s no reason why he couldn't catch up with a former incarnation.

“Peter was top of the writer’s list to make a comeback."

This year’s Children In Need charity telethon takes place on BBC1 on Friday, November 16.