Great British Bake Off - Netflix Collection 8 - season thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

So, fans of GBBO on Netflix might not have noticed that a new episode popped up last Friday. Last season and this one, the makers of the show are releasing each episode individually to Netflix, rather than making fans wait until the entire season/series is done before getting an opportunity to watch.

It's nice because you can't get spoiled over information, but you have to wait every week like a regular OTA show.

That being said - on to the seasonal discussion

Putting the entire series into a bubble, rather than the weekly coming and going is interesting. The foundation of the show usually allows competitors to practice the week before. Instead they are staying together for a shorter period of time in order to minimize risk of Covid. They are there for 7 weeks, which makes me think that they do get a couple of days practice prior to the next "weekend" of competition. It's typically 10 episodes, which would make me think that they would quarantine for 5 weeks while allowing cleanup, staging, and rest periods. Instead, they are quarantining for 7 weeks, which gives a couple of days practice for each episode.

Who can leave their jobs for 7 weeks so that they can film a tv show? Is it big enough in Britain that no one would really argue? Or did they choose people specifically who could leave their jobs for 7 weeks. There is always at least one young person, who is usually a college student, so I would hope that he would still be able to do his schoolwork online, but maybe it was filmed in the summer break (or he took the term off).

That being said, I haven't learned their names yet and probably won't until further into the season, as repetition is required for me to learn them. I did like the fact that the young guy really killed it. He's such a cutie.

2. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Sometimes I wonder if they throw darts at the wall trying to come up with the descriptions for these people. "Lottie (or however her name is spelled) produces pantomime sketches, and in her spare time listens to Viking metal while doing Yoga." I love it.

3. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    That was awesome. As was the dude who was walking his dog (one of the Marks?) along with his wife and the dog suddenly darts to the side, yanking the dude off screen. I just lost it. I love that they kept it in.

4. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Love this show! I like how the structure never changes year after year. And, opposed to American competitions, the contestants are so friendly and helpful to each other while the hosts, regardless of who they are, make it a good time. Each year when it's over I always think it's never coming back and then I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Agatha Mystery likes this.
  5. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

I completely agree. US shows seem to think that drama must be created through conflict with each other, rather than conflict over the topic. Top Chef has conflict with contestants, but there are plenty of times where they help each other out. I like those seasons better. Some people found them boring. The respect that the bakers give each other in GBBO is what makes me enjoy watching it time after time.

lalouque and jr461 like this.
  6. lpamelaa

lpamelaa Member

May 3, 2004
    Los Angles, CA
    I'm so happy this show is back! That being said, I'm not a fan of the sculptural-type challenges. I like it better when the task is more focused on baking skills.

7. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I agree. Sculpture type stuff like this is problematic when it's not something you do often. However, they really didn't judge them for perfection on it. They just wanted to see if it evoked who they were. Peter was smart in choosing a head that didn't really have a face or hair (the Sir Chris Olympic dude).

I think Bob Marley would have worked had she gotten more of the face.

In reality, the task is to see if you can support multi-tiered cake without it falling apart and falling over. None of them used rice crispies in order to lighten the load, so I'm guessing they weren't allowed. Same goes with supports between some of the layers. I think that was the real challenge. They were allowed some supports, but not a lot.

8. Oct 4, 2020 #8 of 29
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So week 2 - I pulled out names, but will still give some descriptions to try to remind who is who.

My thoughts so far - Matt Lucas is growing on me. Aside from the intro last week, his schtick felt a bit forced. He was funnier this week. It seems like the technical bakes are easier this season than last - at least, so far. I love the mix of accents. And I think I have a crush on Peter.

Mak (serious dark hair and silver beard with a very short forehead) goes home. Not a surprise, really. He didn't follow the brief on what was required. You were supposed to mold your biscuits and he just built them out of squares. Rowan bothers me. His vests are cute, but he is way overboard on what he plans, and it never looks good.

I still love Peter (youngest in the tent and who got star baker last week). He's going to be a force to reckon with in the tent. He seems quite skilled in comparison to many others.

Noel was teasing Sura quite hard over her mistake of knocking over Dave's pineapple upside down cakes last week. She took it well and kept laughing, which is good.

I've seen some online chatter thinking that Matt and Noel were being too mean in their teasing. It seemed pretty mild to me. Maybe it's the difference between American and British sensibilities. It admonished Matt Lucas for saying they had 5 minutes left when they had 15. The writer of the article seemed to think that was cruel. However, the writer has no idea if they were telling them beforehand that it was going to be an incorrect time call. Besides that, I'm sure time calls are filmed multiple times here and there to get the funniest take.

9. Oct 5, 2020 #9 of 29
    gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I personally would have sent Rowan home over Mak, but neither of them would be long for this anyways, I'd be shocked if Rowan doesn't go home next barring a miracle.

They've played around with the time announcements in the past I'm pretty sure, so it's not really out of character for the show at all.

I also just don't get this british concept that seems to think all cookies must be crispy. Ok, yeah, the technical challenge did specify having a snap, so fine there, but otherwise, personally, I tend to prefer software cookies over crispy cookies.

10. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I agree. However, I'm guessing that the difference is that Rowan at least tried to mold his biscuit, whereas Mak didn't. I'm sure Rowan will be going home soon as well.

I'm a fan of soft cookies over crispy ones as well. I think the difference is that they only look at biscuits as the crispy ones. They do have cookies that are softer and are fine with those. But a biscuit means something very specific to them, rather than a general "cookie" does for us.

11. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Well, Rowan went out like expected this week. Putting so much polenta/cornmeal into a soda bread to make it feel gritty is just too much. He had such grandiose ideas, but they were, for the most part, bad. He's all about being artistic than flavor. They never value style over substance.

I was glad Hermine got a handshake for her salmon and cheese bread. I was surprised. I wanted her to have chive butter to go with it. Everyone just seemed to make, for the most part, plain butter (not everyone). Paul wanted something unique and she gave it to him.

I think Peter's reliance on gluten free stuff is going to bite him sooner or later. He keeps ending up in the middle of the pack because of it. I'd hate to see him as a one trick pony. He seems to know a lot about baking and has some great flavor combos.

lalouque and jeetkunedo like this.
  12. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    For anyone that really enjoys the this show, there is another british show that has started airing on HBO MAX that is by the same production company, and uses the same format with the twist that it's pottery not baking.

The Great Pottery Throw Down | HBO Max Originals

13. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Been watching it and liking it. I was surprised by the amount of nudity in season 3 episode 6 for a show like this, but then remembered England has less censoring of nudity.

14. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The 2nd season of The Great Kenyan Bake Off started last week. If anyone is interested, the episodes are available via Vimeo on their website. The first season was pretty good.

FAQs | The Great Kenyan Bake Off

15. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I do like the fact that Paul (and Prue) will participate in the introductions with the hosts. They started it last season (IIRC) and Paul isn't afraid to make fun of himself. I think they were jealous that Noel and Sandi were having all the fun.

Obviously not a lot of us are watching. Sura was eliminated last week. It really isn't a surprise after how she performed this week. I did like her, though. She seemed like a sweet woman. Linda seems to be growing into her own. The way she looked the first week, I didn't expect it to happen.

I found an article on how they are doing the series bubble. They film 2 days on, 2 days off. Everyone had to self-isolate for 9 days and take 3 tests for Covid before they could enter the hotel. The hotel houses all cast and crew alongside 20 hotel staff members, 80 producers, and around 20 children, chaperones, and dog walkers. They also built 12 practice kitchens for the bakers to use on their days off. I guess one for each baker.

verdugan likes this.
  16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I am watching. I liked Sura, she had funny interactions with Noel and... umm... the other guy.

I had read that, yeah, that they had built 12 practice kitchens for them and everyone was isolated on the hotel grounds. We saw a small glimpse of it... last week maybe it was? When the guy who had lost his leg was the star baker, his kids showed up in the ending interview.

verdugan likes this.
  17. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm always amazed at the one really young person that seems to do better than the others a lot of the time. Lottie got lucky this week!

18. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yeah that's Mark I think? They said he was a single dad so they must have given the option for his kids to go too. I don't think everyone has their spouse and kids there but I could be wrong.

19. spear

spear Member

Oct 11, 2006
    If you're looking for more fans, the GB Bake Off subreddit is pretty active:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bakeoff/
    Last episode:

It's too much for me but the people there seem very knowledgeable.

20. lambertman

lambertman Still not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Just don’t go Tuesdays-Fridays or you’ll get spoilt.