Great American Road Trip - Whole Season *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1 of 55
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Did anyone watch this new show on NBC last night? I enjoyed it, but then I like shows that showcase geography. The premise is that the families travel from Chicago to LA on historic Route 66 in customized RVs. They are not racing on the road. However, at the various stops along the way, they have to compete in challenges. The winner of a challenge will become "King of the Road" for the next day and win a special reward, while the bottom three finishers will compete in another challenge to see who has reached the "End of the Road."

Last night, they started at Wrigley Field in Chicago, then drove to Springfield, Illinois and the home of Abraham Lincoln. Then they drove to St. Louis and the End of the Road challenge was performed in the shadow of the Gateway Arch.

Not a great show, but decent for the summer. Some of the contestants are pretty funny, and at least one is very nice to look at. ;)

2. Jul 8, 2009 #2 of 55
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I forgot this was on, NBC repeating it? Like you, I also enjoy shows that showcase geography (and history). If not, I'll have to hulu it.

3. Jul 8, 2009 #3 of 55
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I found it to be too much like Survivor - lots of bickering, reward challenge, more bickering (which gets old fast), elimination/immunity challenge, somebody goes home. Also, the families all seem to be playing to the camera (and I wonder how much of it was restaged and/or "suggested" by the producers - for example, the protests over the first challenge) - and why does every family have to fit the same pattern (husband, wife, teenager, pre-teen)? (Normally, I would ask, "How did they cast this show, anyway?", but I'm pretty sure NBC's site has a "casting upcoming shows" page for something like this.)

There isn't much geography to be seen out of the windows of RVs, especially if you're following Route 66.

Note about the first episode: I thought the host said that there was only one path through the arches that would get the ball through all of them without running out of rope, but there were definitely two different ones used.

-- Don

4. Jul 8, 2009 #4 of 55
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought that too, but didn't care enough to rewind and check. Pretty surprising that it took one family over 40 minutes to do what it took another family less than 3 minutes to do.

And what about the host? That guy seemed like the most unlikely TV host I've ever seen. If he can get a TV hosting gig, maybe there's hope for me. ;)

As for the casting, I'm sure their rules said that there had to be two kids (in order to make the teams even). Then I'm sure the youngest ones had to be at least a certain age (probably 12) in order to comply with child labor laws and so the kids could actually participate in challenges. Finally, they probably had an upper limit on the age of the kids to prevent the families from having two 20+ year old boys that would be able to excel in certain challenges. Once you incorporate those restrictions, it's pretty hard not to get teams that consist of "Mom, Dad, Teen, Pre-Teen."

5. Jul 8, 2009 #5 of 55
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

The host was Andy Richter's evil twin.

6. Jul 9, 2009 #6 of 55
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    How much of the Mother Road did it show? My family used to use 66 to get from California into the Midwest when I was a kid so this show intrigues me but I don't have time to watch it right now.

7. Jul 9, 2009 #7 of 55
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    It's a pale imitation of The Amazing Race, but good enough to keep my interest. I don't want to turn anyone off but it does remind me of the family edition of TAR - but it's better than that.

8. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Because The Amazing Race - Family Edition screwed it up so bad. They had "families" of 4 20-something relatives versus Mom and Dad and two little kids. It wasn't even a contest.

The best thing about TAR-Family was that the African American family's last name was Black. So every time they came to the Pit Stop, Phil had to say "Black Family.... you're team number" whatever. :) So sad. :)

I'll watch this Road Trip, but with liberal fast-forwarding!

9. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
  10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's exactly what we thought!
    It's similar to the Family Edition of TAR in that they're driving around the U.S. but that's about it. There really is no racing. They are free to enjoy the sights as they drive at their own leisure. The competition only begins once they've arrived at the pre-determined destination and the rules have been explained by the host. In that respect, it's very much like Survivor.

11. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The only reason I am going to watch is that we drove from Missouri to California using Route 66 when I was a kid.

12. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    just saw the 7/13 episode, i thought the stalactite was the one that came from the ceiling... pretty sure the jesse james actor said that wrong as they were walking out of the cavern

13. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Correct. I remember being taught as a kid to remember it by the T. As in stalacTite comes down from the Top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalactite

Overall, a boring episode and cringe worthy for much of the performing in Branson.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly what I was thinking...

15. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    If the RV company is a sponsor, they must have been pleased that one prize was a night in a hotel "with comfy beds and hot showers".

It seemed a bit early in the game to have an non-elimination but I suspect it was because the judging was subjective and somebody could protest.

Overall, I think the challenges aren't that interesting, although I did like rolling the ball because they had to think and work as a team.

Is that deSalvio guy for real? How much is for the camera?

16. blogan

blogan New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I could've sworn that during the talent contest, the mother wasn't in the group of 4. I think afterwards, you could see five family members. Maybe I was wrong....

But I didn't get why they would do things, like stop by the ice cream place, and just get ice cream. That's it. No challenge. I would say product placement, but it's the worse product placement ever. I can't even remember the name of the place.

17. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Haven't seen the episode .. but was the ice cream place Ted Drewes in St. Louis?

18. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    Yes. It's not "outside" St. Louis like the announcer said, it's in the city limits. Maybe only a few hundred yards from the city limit, but it's within :)

I only watched parts of the first 2 episodes online just to see the St. Louis stuff. I live just a few miles from Drewes, so it was cool seeing the area and hearing road names that I drive every day.

It's been years since I've been to Meramec Caverns, but I used to go all the time for school field trips. My wife has never been, so it's on our list of things to do before we move out of town.

The father from NY annoyed the hell out of me. I think his whole personality is based around New York, so it's impossible for him to think or say anything without it being about NY. At Ted Drewes, when he said "So this is what it takes to get the midwest excited", I wanted to *****-slap him. The whiney pre-teen girl on one of the other teams is more mature than him.

Nice to see the father take his sons fishing. I'm a sucker for father/son moments.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    How have people already seen the second episode? According to my TiVo, it's on Tuesdays and therefore it hasn't aired yet.

20. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The way I first heard it (in Australia of all places) was, "stalaCtite, Ceiling; stalaGmite, Ground".

It aired on Monday night (in the Deal or No Deal slot, I think).

-- Don