Grease: Live 1/31/2016 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1 of 54
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not that familiar with the original movie. Saw it once over 20 years ago. I know most of the popular songs just from pop culture exposure. Having said that, I thought this live production was amazing. Not necessarily the acting or singing, but the technical details of the production itself. Very impressive how much effort and creativity went into pulling this off.

Love to hear what others thought.

2. Feb 1, 2016 #2 of 54
    MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I loved it, I've seen some complaints but it's mostly people comparing it to the movie which isn't even the original. Vanessa Hudgens was wonderful especially since her dad passed away the day before.

3. Feb 1, 2016 #3 of 54
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Forgetting the magnitude of the production for the moment I am wondering how they pulled off the sound. There did not seem to be any boom mikes especially in the large scenes and I did not see any body or head mikes. It makes me wonder if most of it was lip synced.

Certainly the end sequence was but what about the rest of it.

4. Feb 1, 2016 #4 of 54
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TiVo'ed it but haven't watched it yet, but I'm not especially expecting it to be like the movie since the onstage musical came first and maybe they're doing (or at this point have done) that version.

5. Feb 1, 2016 #5 of 54
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I didn't see any body mikes but you could sure hear them when they adjusted their clothing, or hugged each other.

Amazing job by all involved. Those camera men should get an emmy

6. Feb 1, 2016 #6 of 54
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought the idea of having a live audience was a good one. The lack of an audience is the one thing I've noticed zaps some of the energy from NBC's live shows. That said, in the bit that I saw, it seemed the audience was poorly behaved, and were starting to distract from the show.

They supposedly did a hybrid, mostly doing the stage version with a few things swiped from the movie version.
    I didn't watch much of this, certainly not enough to notice where the mics were... but if it's anything like Broadway, they often weave the mic into the hair (or wig, if the performer wears one). Done well, it's almost indistinguishable. (Done poorly, it makes he poor performer look like they have a big black zit in the middle of their forehead.)

7. Feb 1, 2016 #7 of 54
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was great. My son who's only seen the movie kept commenting about how it's different and not right, but I have seen the Broadway show back during it's first run and I think they did a pretty good job of incorporating both the movie (which had a couple of songs that weren't in the original show, but have become pop culture and the show aspect.

A few comments.

To me, this felt more like the filming of a TV show than a Broadway play. Not that that's a bad thing. And it was fun.

Could have done without the Mario Lopez spots. It took me out of the show.

There were scenes in the movie that were outdoors and I wonder if they moved them indoors because of the rain. It could be that they were indoor scenes in the show, but I don't remember.

One gaff I noticed. During the National Bandstand scene, the guy who played the DJ said American Bandstand. I thought that was funny.

Ana Guystener was a dead ringer for Eve Arden. Well casted.

I thought the show was mostly well casted. I thought Julliana Hough was great as Sandy and Venessa Hudgins was great as Rizzo. Even Carly Rae was good as Frenchie. I know they were trying to be diverse, but having an African American playing Marnie (with a very Italian last name) was a bit of a stretch and this being the 1950s having a black girl dance with a white girl on national TV was very unrealistic.

All in all, nice three hours spent watching this.

8. Feb 1, 2016 #8 of 54
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I did notice scaffolding to the left of the high school during one of the scenes (the cheerleader scene if I recall. And of course using the trams, they weren't really TRYING to hide that this was on the Fox studio lot, so it wasn't a biggie.

9. Feb 1, 2016 #9 of 54
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Eve Plumb was in this?

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    That was Mario Lopez. And I noticed it too.

11. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    She was the shop teacher.

Didi Cohn, Frenchy from the movie, was the waitress.

LH

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The only parts I truly likes were the opening and close. I think they should have done it as an obvious play with the fourth wall completely down as the opening and close were. Otherwise, it was dull and felt amateurish.

High School Greasical.

13. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals but I really enjoyed this one. Hough blew me away with her dancing and singing. I thought she was better than Olivia Newton-John. Tviet was good but no one can touch Travolta in the role. Kudos to Vanessa Hudgens for going on with the show after her father passed just the day before.

Ratings were good. 7.4 and first place on broadcast for the night. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-grease-live-surges-860957

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought the guy who played Danny looked too old to be in high school.

15. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I thought about watching this, but saw that it was 3 hours and said no way. I did tune over to it 2-3 times last night. I saw the big race at the end. I wondered how they would simulate a race. They even did over head shots. Was it lighting on the ground that made it look like they were moving?

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes. They showed it at the end. Lighting and smoke machines.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's because he's 32. Hough and Hudgens are 27. Carly Rae Jepsen is 30. That's just the norm in Hollywood when casting projects depicting high school kids.

Most of the cast of the movie were mid-to-late 20s at the time, including Olivia Newton John was 29 when the movie was released, and Stockard Channing was 34.

18. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I watched this last night (pseudo-live). I enjoyed it. I give a lot of credit to the cast and crew for pulling off such a huge performance. I thought the sons were really good. Overall the cast was fine, but I don't think the guy who played Danny was that strong. I thought Julianna did OK, her acting skills weren't that great (never have been), but he singing was fine, and here dancing (of course) was great. Vanessa did a great job as Rizzo (double so with her dad passing away on Saturday night.)

All the other cast was fine. I really liked the actors who play Patty Simcock and Eugene. I am glad they got some good screen time.

The performances (especially Greased Lightning & We Come Together) were really good. The only thing I noticed is it looked like they did NOT do a true Hand Jive. (I never saw the actors cross their hands.)

Overall a solid B from me.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I get that. But they could have found a younger looking guy. He looked like a 32 year old guy who went back to high school :) The other actors and actresses could pass for teens. I always thought Stockard Channing looked too old as well.

20. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Having never seen Dancing with the Stars, I didn't know Julianna Hough was that good. Is she considered one of the best on DwtS?