gray snow screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rbc047, Oct 27, 2011.

1. rbc047

rbc047 New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    i am getting a snowy grey screen right out of the blue then it is fine for awhile and it happens again. any ideas?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It could be the TiVo losing communication with the hard drive.

The reason why?

That's a tougher question, but you might want to pull the drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostic software on it and while you've got the TiVo open closely inspect the power supply for capacitor disease.

Go to badcaps.net and lcdalternatives to learn what to look for.

3. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I still get that very, very occasionally on one HDXL with a 2TB drive. Usually right after a daily update. Rebooting clears it and it hasn't been intrusive enough to worry about further as it's my back-up unit.

That aside, this seems to have been a rather common problem on late production HDs. Usually related to/blamed on the WD Green drives. Two HDXLs in succession with the problem that needed to be returned is the only reason I have a PXL.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That helps bolster my theory that the gray screen is caused by the TiVo being able to tell that a drive is there, but not being able to have a conversation with it, as opposed to the "stuck on the welcome screen" you get if there's no drive at all.

5. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Teach me to post anything....happened this morning for the first time in months. This particular unit is in my workout room and I also use it as a redundant backup to my other Tivos for stuff I really care about. What makes this problem noteworthy is that this one has a 2TB WD Green drive with Intellipark disabled. Theoretically shouldn't happen. My only other HDXL is late production stock and has never had this issue.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On second thought, how snowy, and how gray? Is it uniform, or do you have a lot of little white specks jumping around everywhere, like an old analog TV tuned to a non-existent channel?

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you have the original drive? If the original drive was in working condition, and stored away, it is a great way to troubleshoot if the issue is related to the hard drive.

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 14
    TivoDoctor

TivoDoctor Member

Mar 7, 2003
    This happens to my Tivo HD intermittently. If I unplug the the HDMI cable from the TV and plug it back in the picture comes back. I thought this might be due to the Tivo losing HDCP sync with the TV.

9. rbc047

rbc047 New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    just got a refurbished S3 and it is doing the same thihg as my old S3 gray snow all of a sudden then it works fine. what could be the problem?

10. rbc047

rbc047 New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    the S3 is stock from tivo.

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    How is it connected to your tv?

Just as a troubleshooting method, you might test what results you get when using alternative connections. For example, if using hdmi, try component, or composite, or S-video. Obviously also, check connection cables.

Maybe also check your video or display settings in "Messages & Settings".

Do you have alternative signal sources(other than the Tivo) to compare, to see if you still get the same symptoms?

Good luck.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Having recently acquired an HD after just having had S1s and S2s, I've discovered that there's a uniform gray screen that happens when an OTA channel isn't present or strong enough, and I think it does the same thing if tuned to a non-existent analog cable channel.

It's a different shade of gray from what I've seen on S1s and S2s that were having trouble talking to the hard drive, although I haven't yet seen that screen on the HD (knock wood), so I don't know if the S3 platform has more than one shade of gray in its palette.

13. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Sorry...late....been away for a bit. No troubleshooting necessary. One, probably the primary, reason this unit has one of DVR-DUDE's drives in it in the first place is that it's late production and with the original one TB WD Green drive I was spending half my life clearing freezes and grey screens. So, just dealing with a sample of two (same frustration with the other is why I have a traded for PXL) I'm guessing the drives in their original configuration were only 99%+ of the problem. Obviously(?) exacerbated by the HDXL tuner/interface/software since I'm still having the occasional issue.

Every other day on the primary was a real problem. Once every two months on the back-up/archive/workout room TiVo isn't.

14. VideoGrabber

VideoGrabber New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    If it's sold gray (regardless of the shade) then it's something else. But if it's snowy gray, as the OP reported, then definitely try unplugging your HDMI cable and replugging, as TivoDoctor suggested, so it will renegotiate the handshake.

The other method you can try from your (TV) remote is to flip to any source other than your TiVo, then back again. The same handshaking will take place that way.

I run into this a lot now (never used to, say a year ago), when I use web services like Pandora on my S3.