Gray Screen when Playing music on TivoHD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Airkat, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Airkat

Airkat New Member

Jun 29, 2005

Advertisements

I searched (even used Google to search this site) and didn't see any specific mention of this. If it HAS been, please point me in the direction of that thread -- thanks.

I'm sure many have noticed that the TivoHD has a default ugly gray screen when changing channels and loading data. Well, on the other Tivos, when I connected to Tivo Desktop to stream my music (just for relaxing or background noise when I go to bed) the screen was black as the music played.

Now it's this hideous gray, which apart from being much brighter than black and making it harder to fall asleep to, doesn't even dim out over time to kind of soften the effect of its brightness.

Slowish menus I can deal with, but is this something wrong with my unit or just software that hasn't been (or there is no plan to) updated yet?

2. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Nothing wrong with the unit. Go to Settings, Video, Letterbox Color and change that from grey to black. You should get a black screen when playing music, as well as when changing channels and loading data. Worked for me.

Jeff

3. Airkat

Airkat New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks, I'll try that. Weird tho, the ACTUAL letter boxing I get on non-HD channels is black. whys this unit come default to gray? Looks pretty ugly, especially with the shinier new UI.

*edit*, worked perfectly. Thanks man :up:

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Gray doesn't produce burn-in like black does on some displays.