Grandparents moving to assisted living, need DVR for basic cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jcmeyer5, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jcmeyer5

jcmeyer5 Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Long story short, grandparents are going into assisted living. In this facility they get cable from Comcast without the use of a set top box. Just plug into tv and let the tv change the channels. I would like to get them a DVR that will give them on screen programming and dual tuners. I don't mind the subscription, but I won't have a cable card or need one.

What options does TiVo offer? I searched a bit, didn't see an answer. If there is a non-TiVo answer, I'll take that too :)

Thanks!

Jim

2. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You need to see if TiVo has a lineup for that facility. Used to be Zap2it used the same line ups as TiVo.

If they do, then get a TiVo. If all you need is SD, then you have to go used. If HD, then wouldn't a Premier work?

3. jcmeyer5

jcmeyer5 Member

Sep 15, 2011
    The lineup is the same as the comcast lineup... Just only the first 100 or so stations. I looked local but did not find anything but latest gen TiVo. Going to do more research

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can use the latest generation Tivo (not the NOT YET RELEASED Elite) with analog cable.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If that's analog cable, i.e., a pre-digital "cable ready" TV will work with it, search Craigslist for a Series 2 Dual Tuner (TCD649080 or TCD649180) for about $25.

If you already have a TiVo, put it on your account and get the Multi-Set Discount on it at $9.95 per month instead of $12.95

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If it is analog cable, an older TiVo with lifetime would make the most sense but try to determine if Comcast is planning to drop analog cable or planning to greatly reduce the channel selection before making the purchase. Check to see what other residents are using before making a decision as well. Does Comcast offer a DVR for residents?

7. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    I have a lifetime subscribed TiVo series 1 looking for a good home. It is non-HD (I think ok for you), and only has 1 tuner though..

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It's also possible that the TVs in the facility are digital and at least some of the channels are coming over clear QAM. You definitely need more data before making a decision.

9. jmemmott

jmemmott New Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Be sure to take everything into account. I already have a Series 2 in my garage that I thought about using with a Comcast feed in a similar situation. I have not gone forward because they do not have broadband or a landline and don't really have an additional use for either one. They have a basic cell phone plan for voice calls because that works better in the group environment than a landline. Paying for a data plan, broadband or a landline along with the Tivo subscription just to make the Tivo work hasn't seemed reasonable so far.

10. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Keep in mind that their TiVo will need a telephone connection and the ability to dial out on a (roughly) daily basis to get programming guide data and updates.

Other than that, it sounds like a S2 would work fine for them. You'd just need that, a good-quality signal splitter (so you can deliver a cable feed to each of the S2's tuners), and two short coax cables to make the necessary connections.

I have a S2 that is no longer being used, if you're interested. It does not have lifetime, though; you'd have to either buy that (a one-time fee) or start a monthly account with TiVo.

Bob

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Huh? Unless it is an S2DT, it only has one tuner. And even an S2DT has only one coax input that feeds both tuners.

These days, it's possible that the facility has wideband access, in which case you can use that in lieu of a phone line.

Any currently available non-DirecTV TiVo would work. The digital cable only version (Elite) hasn't been released. Check e-bay and craigslist.

12. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Sorry for the confusion; I was under the impression that all S2s were dual tuner units, so I didn't feel the need to clarify that.

But you're right about the one coax.

Bob

13. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I Did just has you are doing for my Aunt. I could of gave her a premiere, knowing it would be getting updates, I figured my old S2 dual tuner was much better cause TiVo is done with SW updates with it.

Not to hijack this thread...

My Aunt has a Pandigital picture frame. All would be good put the Retirement Home tests their Backup Gen every month and it doesn't come back on by it's self. It does have a remote which is a PITA to use.

I would like to get a new 10" frame which would turn on and start showing the pictures without any UI... or with a good remote which will turn it on, without it being 3 feet away and pressed for 30 seconds, then have 50/50 chance of coming on.:rolleyes:

14. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    The thing to check is whether its Comcast cable direct from the pole to the TV or is it like a hotel and goes through an in-house RF distribution system. If its the latter, it could be a mix of converted digital and analog and the channels could be remapped.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You could always get a small UPS.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    My Mom's current assisted living does this, about 20 channels all on analog on lower channel number, a Tivo would never work. Previous facility was straight Comcast out the wall, any Comcast DVR would work, Tivo's were trouble because of the lack of phone line on that side of the room and the limited AC outlets.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    A tivo *would* work. IIRC, in the past they've created special lineups for people with setups like that.

18. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I thought of that with them doing the testing and what it might do to the TiVo. However the size and the heat it would put out would most likely be an issue. With the staff & my aunt.

I'm still on the fence on getting myself one. ;)

19. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
  20. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia