Grandfathered lifetime question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Myxx, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Myxx

Myxx New Member

Feb 21, 2001

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'd love to post the URL, but the forum forbids URLs until I have made 5 posts. :confused:

It is from another post on the forum though.

It says:

Does this mean the one-time transfer is free, or will it still require the $199 VIP transfer? Or does the VIP offer mean the same thing, like extending the Grandfather to only S3 units? The rep I spoke with insisted "yes, you can do the one-time transfer. It is $199." But no where I have looked concerning this Grandfather rule says anyone paid an additional cost to transfer it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. bap

bap pab

Dec 6, 2003
    North o'...
    The grandfather clause is free. Call TiVo back and reference that KDB code and they should be able to verify it.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Should be free. Many of the CSR's are not aware of the grandfather deal so you need to ask for a supervisor.

4. cfaulkner

cfaulkner New Member

Feb 16, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Very cool info. Thank you! I purchased my series 1 before that date and my series 3 was ordered a few days ago.

5. cc55cc55

cc55cc55 New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

I was shocked to see that I had to pay to continue my "lifetime" service. When I purchased 2 years ago, it was equal to about 3 years of service. So even though I haven't begun to see a positive return on my "lifetime" service, I am supposed to pay another couple of year's worth to keep my "lifetime" service?

Sorry, but I think this is bull crap. I was told I had the service no matter how many units I bought for my home. Now what..I won't be able to buy new units at all?!? unless I pay another lifetime membership essentially?

I call foul foul foul.

Plus I am moving, so I guess if they don't want to keep me as a customer, I'll have to start looking at the other options--you know, like where you can actually record one show while watching another.....

(&(&R*&&R&^*^%$*^&@_&$

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It's a freakin' subscription not a membership.
    The only reason anyone would tell you that you had the service no matter how many units you bought would be because your lifetime subscription is on your DirecTV account. D*TV puts the lifetime subscription on the account, not on the individual Tivo units like Tivo does. If that's the case, you can't transfer the subscription to the S3 at all ever for any amount of money no matter how much you beg and plead.

If you don't have DirecTivo with a lifetime subscription then you were simply given bad information from an idiot, but really have no one to blame but yourself for not reading the terms of the lifetime subscription at the time you purchased it.