Grace and Frankie (Netflix Season 1) Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, May 9, 2015.

1. May 9, 2015 #1 of 51
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Grace and Frankie.
    It's kindof like watching a really good really long movie.

Jane Fonda is 77, Lily Tomlin is 75, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson are both 74.
    When did 70 become the new 50?
    I should look so good at that age.

2. May 9, 2015 #2 of 51
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I added this to my watch list today, but have not yet been able to watch one. Maybe later tonight? I am very hopeful about this. Looks like it could be interesting.

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    They need Dolly Parton and it would be a 9 to 5 reunion.

I just read the show's description on Netflix. Seems like an interesting show. Added it to my list. I have a million other shows to watch. So, we'll see if I ever get around to this one.

4. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Jane Fonda looks fantastic.
    Martin Sheen does too.

5. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I just finished the first episode and I loved it! I'm in.

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I have this one on deck but I'm just up to season two of Breaking Bad so I will be a late starter. So many shows - so little time. *sigh*

7. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I'm on ep 4 and loving this show. The cast is great. Lots of funny one liners.

8. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    I watched the whole series in three nights. Fantastic. Funny, funny lines for all the characters. And thank goodness a TV show that shows older women as being regular people with hopes and dreams and lives rather than just jokes, ala "Betty White said a bad word....*giggle giggle* isn't that shocking?" :rolleyes:

There was a scene in a grocery store where Lily wanted to buy cigarettes and they were being ignored - then a pretty young woman comes up and the sales clerk jumps to helps her first, ignoring the two women entirely. All women of a certain age learn that they are invisible to society and that scene demonstrates it perfectly. She screams, "I refuse to be irrelevant" and I just cheered.

Both Tomlin and Fonda are wonderful. There was a scene (this is not a spoiler) where Fonda was doing a vlog and she started crying, and then she said, "Oh, I look pretty when I cry" and then did a cute little sob admiring herself....only a master actor could have pulled that off the way she did.

Sam Waterson and Martin Sheen are also wonderful although their chemistry didn't pop right away. It took me a while to believe Waterson in the role - not the gay part but the part where a high-powered attorney is so ditzy and emotional. We haven't seen his working side.

Also, I particularly like Jane's daughter, can't remember the actress right now. (Is her name Jane or June or something?) Anyway, she is really great. I don't know if I've seen her before but she's very funny on the show.

There are some very good lines. Hey, who hasn't wondered about Ben & Jerry? :)

It is amazing that Fonda is 77. She looks 15 years younger. Tomlin does too but Jane has totally kept her figure, her flexibility and strength. I guess I better buy a Jane Fonda workout tape - seems to have helped! She's been very open about her plastic surgery so we know what she's done and it's not as much as you would think. She said she didn't want to look young, she just wanted to look as vital as she feels. And, the doctor has done an amazing job. She is just beautiful but still has wrinkles, still looks like herself.

If you are on the fence about this show, watch it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I sure hope there is a season 2.

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Reviews are pretty mixed so I had kind of discarded the idea of watching it, but this thread is pretty glowing. Might have to check it out. Thanks, folks. And/or, [angry diatribe].

10. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I watched it. I especially enjoyed the very first episode where Fonda sort of took off the movie magic makeup. Of course she still looks great. It moves fast and I fully expect a second season especially with how it ended.

11. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I enjoyed the whole thing in a binge viewing and was surprised to come to work a few days later and have a co-worker tell me he couldn't get through the first episode because the writing was so bad.

I suspect it is not everyone's cup of tea.

12. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I watched half of the first episode. Everything seemed good except Jane Fonda is so annoying that I can't continue watching. I haven't really seen her in anything, but she killed this and not in a good way.

13. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    We watched the first episode and part of the second and then bailed. I wanted to like it,
    and I like the actors and actresses, but it seemed too trite and formulaic - honestly - the
    writers were all coasting here ...

14. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm enjoying it. Some good zingers in there. I wonder which character decided to restore and drive a vintage Studebaker? (At the very end of episode 4.)

15. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Enjoyed it. I'm in.

16. moedaman

moedaman Member

Aug 21, 2012
    If you spent as much money on trainers and make-up as Hollywood stars do, you'd look great at 80 too.

17. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    I binge watched it this weekend. I thought it was terrific.

18. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Netflix just announced they have renewed it for a season 2.

19. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Good! They left things hanging with that last episode.

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just started watching it. Already burned through 6 episodes. It's really good. Netflix is producing some real quality content. Well worth the $8/mo.