Gotta get a TV to complement my HDTivo! Help me decide!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by blhirsch, Feb 26, 2008.

1. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003

Advertisements

Ok, I have a big room 20'x30', sitting about 15' away from the TV, with lots of ambient light, not all of which I can easily control (i.e. two big skylights and a big octagonal window about 14 feet up.)

So I've preliminarily decided that LCD is the way to go, both because of brightness issues and reflective issues. My prior TV, a flat screen (not flat panel, regular tube) Sony tv had some serious reflection problems that makes me shy away from any kind of glass/reflective surface. Nice picture, when you could see it, though. :)

At any rate, we're goin' HD, and would like something in the 50" range. We're borrowing a 52" Samsung DLP and like the size and are loving the HD picture.

The current idea is to get the Sony KDL52XBR4. There's a nice Samsung in that range, and also highly rated, but with a reflective screen. What do you folks think? Assuming this is the TV to get, anybody have any ideas for saving money? Amazon.com has the TV for the best price (no shipping, no tax) but I'm always willing to get creative (say, open a charge somewhere, save 20%, or use coupon codes.)

We'll also be needing a receiver to drive the system, but earlier help on this matter has me centered on the Onkyo SR605. If anybody has any issues in that regard (wait for the new systems, or buy something else), now would be the time to tell me.

Thanks!

2. Moebius

Moebius Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Not there...
    You should check over at avs-forum.com. There are threads dedicated to each display type with more information than you could ever want to sift through.

3. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    I'd recommend you head over to http://www.avsforum.com
    As a side note, why not get a DLP? Do you want to mount your TV on the wall?

4. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    I do want to mount it to a wall, and hide the cables. The DLP occupies an alcove next to the fireplace that I would rather make into a reading nook.

5. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Advertisements

i picked up a 50" plasma from Costco. I'm sure it's technically not as high quality as, say, a Pioneer Elite. But for $1400, I had to ask myself...was it really worth all the extra money.

I can't tell the difference, and no one who comes over to the house says they can tell the difference. It's 1080i, not p, but hey...I can live with it.

6. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Well, that's kind of why I wanted to get a feel for things around here. Over there, the sheer volume of information makes it hard to generalize without a few days worth of effort, kwim? It's a great resource, I've used it in the past, I appreciate the recco, and I will go there, but hopefully armed with a little "off the cuff" advice from 'round these parts first. Just to get my mind wrapped around the salient issues.

7. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    The XBR you are looking to get is one of the best performers in the league. But it comes with a price tag to match it.
    You should really go to a couple of stores that allow the customer to play with a remote, or at least sales/tech staff on the floor can change the store "demo" mode to something that you will use at home, and see for yourself which panel looks best for your eyes and wallet.

P.S. Of course nothing can replicate your particular setup at home.

8. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    All the plasmas I've seen have reflective surfaces, so you definatly want an LCD. I bought a Sony SV3000 I think - about $800 less than the XBR, and I'm very happy with it.

9. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    One more thing, if you decided to get something online check the site's policy on the return and exchange. I.e. newegg.com has some good prices on the HDTV sets (bulk items), however they will not accept returns nor will they process the exchange if something is a miss after you sign that delivery paper - you will have to deal with the manufacturer's warranty replacement.
    Cosco, btw, has one of the best exchange/return policies.

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    My personal picks for the best 52 inch LCD and how they would fit your requirements:

1) Samsung 5281 LED backlighting creates best picture, but screen is highly reflective and would be a problem in your setting

2) Samsung 5271 120 hz technology great for sports, less so for 24 fps material. Reflective screen would also rule it out for you

3) Sony XBR4 120 hz technology helps, but implementation not as good as Samsung. This would probably give you the best picture for your setting

4) Sony V3000 - very close to the XBR in PQ and $800 less

11. bostlaw

bostlaw Member

May 16, 2005
    You get to borrow a 52" DLP??? Yikes.

12. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    You should get one of those new dlp with led lights. That will save you power and light replacement.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you have mis-interpreted your TVs specs. All plasma and LCD TVs are "p" when they list 1080i in the specs they are telling you it can process a 1080i signal, which is converted to the TVs native resolution. In the end if a TV is a 1080p set or not doesn't mean it actually will have a better picture than a set classified as a 720p set, there are high end 720p plasma sets that consistently get ranked as having better quality pictures than many 1080p sets.

Good Luck,

14. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    ACK! <Head asplodes> That's exactly why I don't try to worry about this stuff.

All I know is that my set is sufficiently large for my kid to embarrass me in Halo 3.

15. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Not true. there are several plasmas that have a 1080i native resolution. Hitachi is the most poular.

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    OP said he wants to mount the set on a wall. The DLP isn't the answer.

17. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Well, my parents own a beach home, and that TV is in our wing of the house. It's February, and the beach isn't so inviting right now, so I'm borrowing it for the off season, with the intention that I could then wait until after the holiday price drops and then strike when the iron was hot. That sweet spot seems to be riiiiight about now.

We got the FIOS and the HD in September--I couldn't have HD and no TV to watch it on until now, now could I? ;)

During the summer, however, that TV is just sheer overkill for the crappy analog Comcast they insist on subscribing to down there. Many a year I've wanted to drag down my DirecTV dish in a cement pot and let that TV do what it does best: show a really nice HD picture! It likes our house. It gets to have FIOS and TivoHD, which it's never had in all of its existence. It doesn't want to go back. It told me so. But back it goes.

18. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Those are, indeed, the sets I'd narrowed the field down to in my travels through the reviews.

I wonder if the V3000 is worth doing when the XBR is down to $2999. I'm going to look into that. No need to overbuy just to have the right "line."

19. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Be careful with the move. It might get angry and just pop its own bulb.

20. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    This is a good point. It's one of the reasons I'm steering well clear of the various no-name online electronics estores, though saving $600 is tantalizing. I do not trust them as far as I can throw them. And I'm a lawyer. I almost always manage to hold retailers to their warrantees just by virtue of knowing how to navigate the whole process, not being intimidated by confrontation, and knowing to what things I am entitled. But I don't want to have to fight if I can just get it at a reputable company and know that if something goes wrong, good customer service can be expected.

It's good to know newegg is not one with a very friendly policy--I would have considered them without too much reservation. I will look into Costco. Amazon.com has impressed me immensely in the past with their customer service. And Best Buy/Circuit City are no-brainers, but you just pay for the privilege, though when they have coupon codes and the like, you can really score.