Gotham S01E15, "The Scarecrow" 2/9/2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Feb 10, 2015.

1. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX

Advertisements

I'm glad I didn't make any bets concerning this week's episode based on last week's... I'd have lost big time.

Fish is in some flavor of jail... anyone have any idea what's going on with that? I get this is how she makes her comeback, but I don't see how we got from last week's "collision" to here.

"Leslie" is channeling her inner "Malcolm" from Firefly. Naughty girl. Of course, Jim is so uptight he squeaks. His facial expressions make me laugh.

Scarecrow origin story was interesting. Was his origin in the comic books? Similar?

So probably it's the Jim-Leslie-Edward triangle that sets Edward off... I would guess with help from Penguin.

Found a couple good Gotham Drinking Games ("because, what else are you going to be doing on a Monday night?") :)

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Since I've never read the comics, I'd like to better understand what happened with Scarecrow. The "fear vaccine" appeared to work on the father, so are we to understand that because the father gave the son a much larger dose, that it had the opposite effect? Or is it possible that because the dose was so large, it will just take the son longer to work through the effects, but once he does, he will become fearless like his father?

Fish was pretty bold to shiv the head inmate in charge without having anyone watching her back. What was to keep one of that guys henchmen from immediately killing her?

I loved that Alfred sat at the top of the hill and lit a fire while Bruce struggled his way up. That was a great scene to show how Bruce is being trained to be self-sufficient and that he can deal with anything.

So Penguin is protected from Maroni as long as Falcone is alive. Seems to me that would essentially be telling Penguin that he's got to figure out a way to kill Maroni before Falcone dies.

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The end scene last week of Fish and the pirate rushing together was utterly meaningless. They didn't show an embrace, a fight, or anything. It was just nothing.

The Riddler/Penguin scene was fun.

4. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    It wasn't just "fear vaccine", it was a "cocktail" of a bunch of stuff that the father was grabbing and fumbling with as they were escaping the house (the doctor in the hospital explained that).

Fish had the knife in hand (or some knife in hand), and that seems to mean a lot to the prisoners. :rolleyes:

Of course, Maroni says that Penguin is protected as long as Falcone is alive, and probably means it right now. It's a great threat (that could backfire as you said). But if Falcone dies first, does Maroni really want to get rid of an asset like Penguin?

5. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that Jada Pinkett Smith's acting has gotten better? The first couple of episodes it was like she was on the 1960's version of Batman, but she's playing it straighter now, and not hamming it up as much.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was completely wrong about Fish running towards the pirate also. Looks like she's going to be the head Fish in charge of her own gang soon.

I wonder if Leslie eventually becomes a villain.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think it WAS "just" fear vaccine; the doctor was talking about what it comprised.

The kid just got a mega-dose because Dad couldn't administer it on the prepared schedule, because of Gordon and Bullock interrupting.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The anti-vaxxers could have saved that kid.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I wonder if Dr. Crane got FDA approval for his vaccine..?

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    When we outlaw vaccines, only criminals will have vaccines.

11. Honora

Honora Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Earlier, when she asked Mace how a scrawny little guy like him has so much power, he holds up the knife and says that he has the only weapon.

Now she has the only weapon (and she killed the alpha dog), so she has the power.

12. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Re-watched and you are correct. I originally misunderstood what he said.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Prison Movie 101.

Identify the alpha dog and take him out. Become the alpha dog.

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Maybe the elder Crane should have talked to Hal Jordan or Matt Murdock first.

15. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I saw an interesting guess on another board

I'll just leave this here for you to ponder without explicitly giving the guess away

Leslie invited Jim to the circus

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Let me put it this way, when the circus dialog came up, I did wonder if it was the Haly Circus.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wonder if they have a decent trapeze act?

18. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    where they'll see the flying Greysons? Dick wouldn't be born yet though right?

19. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    In the comics does Penguin own a nightclub called the Umbrella or was this a nod to fans?

20. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    The nightclub was called Oswald's, the umbrella was simply the graphic representing the nightclub. (In the show, I don't recall in the comics if he ever ran one)