Gotham 110 - "LoveCraft" (11/24/14)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by getreal, Nov 25, 2014.

1. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth

Advertisements

Nice interactions between Bruce and Cat as he starts to experience the world of crime from a different perspective than just as victimized bystander. I was hoping that while they were being chased by the baddies in Wayne Manor and they popped into the closet, that this would give the first glimpse of a hint of a bat cave. But it wasn't to be so. :(

Alfred is quite the butler ... as in kicking butt-lering! And he seemed to charm Fish with his proper Britishisms. :cool:

And now Gordon goes to Arkham Asylum. I'm gonna' hafta' dig out the old Arkham Asylum Xbox game to get a feel for that place again.

2. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Love Love Love Alfred in this ep. He's a true badass.

I'm really beginning to warm up to Kat.

3. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    As a person not familiar with Batman, that sure is one gigantic asylum. You got to have a lot of crazy people to fill that thing up. :D

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And there was the scene where people were lined up for miles, coming off the buses. Like a scene from a prison camp, people everywhere.

Lots of crazies in Gotham.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Just got caught up on this show. Binged five episodes this week. I'm really liking the way they're able to combine both procedural and serial elements into the plot and keep it all interesting. And I'm liking the way they're fleshing out the characters. I do kind of wish they weren't focusing so much on Bruce and that it was more just about Gordon rather than about the way Gordon helps Bruce.

6. Dec 2, 2014 #6 of 28
    aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    This is more the fault of the original comics rather than these writers, but why introduce two characters with the first name "Harvey"?

7. Dec 2, 2014 #7 of 28
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They're from different eras...by the time Harvey Bullock came along, Harvey Dent was pretty much just Two-Face. And I doubt anybody suspected at the time that Bullock was going to turn into a fairly substantial character in the Bat-World.

8. Dec 2, 2014 #8 of 28
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    At least they could just call him 'Harv' or something. :)

9. Dec 2, 2014 #9 of 28
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Do none of the people in your life have the same first name?

10. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    My life is not a scripted TV show. On a TV show, it's cumbersome to have to deal with and write around. So you avoid it, because you get to control what everyone's name is.

When Steve Buscemi was on the Sopranos, they gave his character the first name "Tony." I never understood that.

11. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Is that any worse than James & Barbara having kids named James & Barbara?

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    This is more like George Foreman naming all his kids "George." :)

13. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Great in real life. Possibly confusing for TV if they go that way.

14. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    And I like it when they do things like that. It's more realistic.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It can be confusing when you have a lot of interchangeable look-alike characters you haven't gotten to know, but by the time the show introduced Dent, Bullock had been around and prominent enough, and they are distinct enough, that I doubt anybody's too confused...

16. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I'd rather see a story about Gordon and how the other criminals got their start too. We've seen the Bruce/Batman story lots.

But from what they've shown of Bruce it not totally terrible to see it again. I just don't want it to become the "little" Batman show.

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    [​IMG]

I agree with aindik & realityboy, it might have been less awkward to have one named Harry and the other Harvey, but once Dent becomes Two-Face it will become mostly redundant. As writers, they get to play God and create characters and names and having two Harveys seems like the less obvious creative choice. Oh well!

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    When I was reading the comics, Bullock was usually referred to with his last name.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But again, the two characters were created 40 years apart. And there were probably thousands of characters in between. Eventually, you run out of first names!

20. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Which they could do here.

But in this episode, when they barge into Fish's place, she greets him with a big "HARVEY!"