1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got to complain, poor customer service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jml, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Dec 9, 2017 #1 of 18
    jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I know there is nothing anybody here can do to help me, but I've gotten such poor treatment from Tivo lately, that I had to come here and complain. I've been a member of this forum, and happy Tivo customer, since 2000. I rarely post, because I've pretty much never had a problem with my Tivos.

So, the story:

My inlaws have an old 2-tuner Tivo, and they constantly have conflicts. I wanted to take advantage of the recent Thanksgiving sale to get them a 6-tuner Bolt and a $99 year of service. I contacted Tivo support to find out if I could buy those things, and transfer them to my inlaw's account. They told me, "no problem, just call in to activate it."

We plugged in the Bolt, and called to get things transferred. They said, "no problem," and we thought that was it. Turn on the Tivo to find it has no service plan. Call back and discover they have canceled the $99 year of service, and it will take 3-days to move the Tivo to my inlaw's account. I tell them that I want to pay for a year of service for my inlaws, and they try to charge me $149. I tell them no, $99, so they say it will take another 2-3 days to get that approved, assure me my inlaws won't have to pay, and take my credit card number. A week later, I find that my inlaws have been charged $99 for service. I've not yet received a refund.

Despite advertising that shows can be transferred from their old Tivo to the new one, it isn't working. Call to find out that it's supported on their old Tivo, but it's not actually working at the moment. In order for this to work in the future, if it's ever fixed, both boxes have to be in service. They have no need for two Tivos. Sure anybody on this forum could flip back and forth between Tivos to watch old and new shows, but as we know, some people have a very hard time with things like that.

Anyway, I don't rant well, so it doesn't seem too terrible, but the whole thing ended up being over a week, and 4+ hours on the phone at this point. Customer service reps repeatedly lying and telling me what I wanted to hear just to get me off the phone, then having to call back to find out things weren't the way I was told.

What should have been an easy gift: plug in the new box, move the cable card, call to activate, and click to transfer a few shows, instead turned into a week of calls to customer service during which my inlaws had no way to record shows. (I guess they could have called to transfer the cable card back, but that means dealing with Comcast).

This has left me with a very low opinions of Tivo, and guarantees I never buy another one as a gift.

Thanks for reading this.

computersteve, CZBrat and kpeters59 like this.
  2. Dec 9, 2017 #2 of 18
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Clearly there was some crossed wires with TiVo csrs. However, the failure to transfer [shows] was on you for not understanding the rules. A box without service is not capable of much, especially recordings, transfer, etc. Moat folks have them overlap a few days for transfers. If the old box is a premiere I would put it on service, transfer, and cancel, which would be free. If it's a S2, you would be out of luck.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #3 of 18
    jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    How was this on me? Before buying the box I asked them if I could buy it with service and transfer ownership, and I was told, yes, no problem. That was not the case.

Do you mean transferring recordings? Yes, I understand both boxes need service to do that, but the transfer feature does not work on the old box due to Tivo bugs, not because it is without service. In fact, Tivo's recommendation is to keep service, and hope they fix the problem sometime in the future. Great $15/month to Tivo indefinitely...

4. Dec 9, 2017 #4 of 18
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I have no issues transferring recordings from a S2 to a Bolt. Do you have the options for each tivo set correctly to allow transfers at tivo.com? Is the new Bolt running with the new hydra UI?

5. Dec 9, 2017 #5 of 18
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You don't say what model the old 2-tuner TiVo is or whether you kept the Hydra interface on the bolt or downgraded to the gen3 HD interface. If it's a Premiere and you kept the Hydra interface (or gen3 interface), you can transfer shows with TiVo Online and it should be easy enough to do. If you downgraded to the gen3 interface and had service on the older TiVo (Premiere or older models, then you can transfer from TiVo to TiVo directly but you do have to do it show by show but that's always been the case. At the moment, the new Hydra interface cannot do TiVo to TiVo transfers except through TiVo Online.

Scott

6. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks for the info. It might be the problem that the transfer has to be done through Tivo online. Unfortunately all I can report is what my inlaws said. They couldn't get the transfers to work, called Tivo, and were told it was a bug. Perhaps the old to new is the bug Tivo was referring to. I don't know why they didn't just tell him to use Tivo online.

I'm not 100% sure what model Tivo they have. The interface is somewhat different that the interface on my Roamio. The interface on the Bolt is much different from the Roamio, so I guess that is the new hydra interface? It will be great if it's just a matter of doing it with the online interface.

I'll be able to try tomorrow, and if transfers do work, then I can get them connected over ethernet, so things are fast.

7. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They can revert back to the gen3 interface if they prefer it as being closer to the old SD interface (assuming they don't want or have the VOX remote).

Scott

8. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Oh well, no luck using TiVo online to transfer files. A transfer can be initiated from the web, but it never happens.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    So, what model do they have? Does it hve service?

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You don't see it in the ToDo or History on the new Bolt (looking for a reason it might not work in the History)? The 2 TiVo's can see each other in Devices?

Scott

11. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Reviving this thread from a month ago. Things have just gotten worse. I got a ~$250 charge on my credit card from Tivo, and find out it's a "Non-returned equipment fee."

I have no idea what's going on with my account now. They transferred the Tivo to my inlaw's account, and canceled the year of service. Despite multiple followup calls, they never refunded the year of service to me.

It turns out, that somehow today they tried to refund me for both the Tivo and the year of service, and then charged me for a Non-returned equipment fee. Here is the billing record direct from my account.

Code:
    Billed     01/12/2018     Non-Returned Equipment Fee     $249.99     $7.25     $257.24
    Settled     01/12/2018     Charged to: Card ending XXXX     $249.99     $7.25     ($257.24)
    OTHER     01/12/2018     TiVo Package, Annual     ($99.99)     $0.00     $99.99
    OTHER     01/12/2018     TiVo Refurb BOLT 500 GB     ($99.99)     ($2.90)     $102.89
    I can call regular support this weekend, but they've consistently messed up. Does anybody have any elevated support contacts? Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it in the open.

12. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    first, out of past experiences, i suggest not dealing with serious billing issues over the weekend, during nighttime hours, or on holidays, even if it's inconvenient. while it may not make a difference with international call centers, i've found the experienced, seasoned agents (in u.s. call centers, at least) are generally scheduled mon-fri, 8am-5pm.

second, it's high time to (politely) demand a supervisor to fix this. you may also wish to co-ordinate a time when your in-laws are available for a conference call, just in case they're needed to relay information you can't provide.

sorry to hear of your troubles, but it can be worked through, it just may take more time and effort - good luck, and let us know how it goes.

13. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    They use a foreign call center, in I'm guessing India, based on the accents. I don't have a problem understanding the support people, and they are always very polite, but clearly they're just kind of doing random things to my account, which are related to, but not exactly what I've asked them. Because they are so polite, and keep saying "yes I can help you" it makes it very difficult to figure out when the support person is confused and doing the wrong thing.

It looks like there is a form to contact the executive relations team. I'll try using that, and see where I get.

14. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    And publicly posting on Twitter also has a way of getting attention, too...

-KP

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Philippines

16. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I tweeted at them, and they just told me to call support...

17. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Some progress, I hope. I received a call from executive customer service, which is probably just a supervisor at the regular customer service center. And, as mentioned, I was wrong as he clearly did not have an Indian accent.

Anyway, he seemed to understand what I wanted, and understand what was wrong, but is going to have to investigate what can be done to fix it. He also said that they may refer some of the agents I talked to for further training. I'm not sure if that was intended to placate me, or if it's serious.

Has anybody else given a Tivo as a gift? Was this just some aberration on what should be a simple process, or is it always this messed up?

18. jml

jml New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Finally, a resolution to all of this (I really hope). I got in touch with Tivo executive customer support through this form. They called me back, and then after taking a week to research the problem they understood what happened and what needed to be done to fix it.

I've finally received a refund for the inappropriate "non-returned equipment fee" and for the service which was canceled. As far as I can tell I am square with Tivo.

If I'm understanding correctly, this is what happened:
    1. I bought a Bolt and year of service for about $200.
    2. The Bolt was automatically activated on my account.
    3. Tivo transferred ownership of the Bolt to my in-law's account.
    4. The service could not transfer so it was canceled.
    5. When the service was canceled the Bolt was automatically also setup for a return. I was never told of this, and never received any emails with an RMA, etc.
    6. I called Tivo 4 times to track down my $99 refund for the canceled service, and was still never told the refund was waiting on return of the Bolt.
    7. I received a $250 charge from Tivo for failing to return the Bolt.
    8. I contacted Tivo executive support
    9. They refunded me the appropriate amount ($250-99 for the Bolt).
    10. They promised to retrain staff to override the automatic equipment return which is generated when canceling service within the 30-day return window.
    So, Tivo's two failures were the front line customer support not being aware of the automatically generated equipment return, and failing to notify me that the equipment was expected to be returned.

I asked the executive support person how they recommend buying a Tivo as a gift. My takeaway from the conversation is don't buy a Tivo as a gift. I was told that the only service which can be transferred is lifetime, so to give a Tivo as a gift, buy it with lifetime service. The other option is to buy the Tivo without any service, but giving somebody a gift and saying, "BTW this will cost you," seems pretty lousy to me.

sfhub likes this.