GoT "The Rains of Castamere" 6/2/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1 of 367
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    What a beautiful wedding!!!

Oh wait.. It's a blood bath!

2. Jun 2, 2013 #2 of 367
    jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    Wow. That was brutal.

3. Jun 2, 2013 #3 of 367
    magaggie

magaggie Limabean Fransisco

Apr 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I was completely unspoiled for this episode. The room cleared, the song started playing, I got sick to my stomach, and my jaw fell open. I asked Demandred "did that just happen? Is Robb dead?" He gave me a sympathetic frown and nodded.

What the F, George R. R. Martin!!?!?!?!?

4. Jun 2, 2013 #4 of 367
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    That was something that I thought was missing from this season (Characters getting killed). I wished it hadn't been him, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

5. Jun 2, 2013 #5 of 367
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    My wife sat for a whole minute during the silent credits seething. I told her Arya would make it to the Twins where Robb and Catelyn where at. She assumed that meant a happy ending. She was none too pleased.

That being said, she now wants Daenerys to bring her army over and whoop some Lannister butt.

6. Jun 2, 2013 #6 of 367
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I am blown away. Especially since I have not read the books. Curious what happens Edmure and his "bride".

7. Jun 2, 2013 #7 of 367
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Holy crap! Did not see this ne coming. Kinda bummed. I was looking forward to Robb taking casterly rock. A shocking twist. Clearly, nobody is safe.

I guess that thing with stannis' witch and the leaches and kings blood really meant something. Who were the other two people she cursed?

8. Jun 2, 2013 #8 of 367
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Jeoffery, and Danny Greyjoy Sr.

9. Jun 2, 2013 #9 of 367
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Balon Greyjoy (Theon's father) and Joffrey Baratheon.

In that order.

So, do you believe in magic, or was Robb's assassination just bad coincidence and Tywin just pulled off a master stroke?

10. Jun 2, 2013 #10 of 367
    Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    <music>it's a nice day for a.........red wedding!</music>

11. Jun 2, 2013 #11 of 367
    Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    Oh, my gosh. I cried when Catelyn was just standing there waiting to have her throat cut. It was all so shocking.

I had expected them to kill Robb's wife, but before the wedding so that Robb would marry one of their girls. Once the wedding went through and all seemed well, I relaxed. That was a mistake.

12. Jun 3, 2013 #12 of 367
    mostman

mostman Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Boston
    OK non book readers - help out with a discussion that those of us who have read the books have been talking about ALL season. When Bolton does the deed on Robb, did you feel betrayed and outraged? Or was it more like, "Oh yeah - that guy...well, that sucks for Robb..." See, in the books, Bolton is a MUCH more developed and important character. In addition, Robb himself is more fleshed out. So when the Red Wedding (as this will be called) happens, its just absolutely gut wrenching. My first copy of the third book met its death in a swimming pool. My wife was seated behind me reading it when I saw the book fly over my head and land in the pool. "Red Wedding, huh?" I said to her. Luckily, there was a nearby book seller. It has been an ongoing discussion if the events would register the same for TV viewers as they did for those of us who read the books.

Fun fact - as many of you know, these books are written in third person POV. The interesting thing is the POV alters between chapters, hopping from one main (or sometimes minor) character to another, sometimes not returning for hundreds of pages. The Red Wedding scene was told from Catelyn's POV. You get her POV as she hears the Rains of Castamere start and she realizes the gig is up. Her POV as Robb is run through. And her point of view as, obviously, she is killed. Just superb writing on Martin's part - probably one of the best chapters of the entire series.

13. Jun 3, 2013 #13 of 367
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    It's just unfair that a show that's this good is only an hour long, and only 10 episodes a year.

Unfair, I tell you!

14. Jun 3, 2013 #14 of 367
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003

This!!!

Wow! Just......wow! I don't even know what to think.

15. Jun 3, 2013 #15 of 367
    tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I'm all over the place with this one, on one hand I realize that there is still a lot to go in the series, but to me it seems like Martin consistently takes the characters away from anything resembling a conclusion. I'm not saying that I want all the dead characters to stand up at the end and start singing "Happy Ending, Happy Ending", but at the same time things just seem to keep spiraling farther and farther out of control. There are people who stopped watching after the first season who said "If no one is safe, how can I get invested in them?" I'm not there yet, but I'm now closer to that mindset.

Now commentary on the eposode:
    When Winterfell was burning in the opening credits, I pondered "Will it burn all season?" -- I guess that is a yes.

I know the Lannisters always pay their debts, but does Frey really think that he is going to come out ahead relative to where he would have been if he backed Robb?
    I didn't recognize Bolton as the one who finished off Robb, but it makes sense in retrospect.

We've now had 2 episodes without Theon -- hopefully that gets resolved next week, I'm going with Bolton as his captor, it makes sense now, assuming he was the double agent in Robb's camp all along.

If the Red Queen's magic had a hand in Robb's doom, does that mean that Greyjoy Sr, and Joffrey will meet their end next week? (Greyjoy Sr -- yeah he might as well die, Joffrrey is a "gots to go" situation, it won't totally remove the bitterness of Robb's death, but it will help).

Once again, a Stark's pet wolf shares a fate with its owner (which makes me wonder where Ghost is)

Is someone going to write the song "The Snows of Winterfell"?

16. Jun 3, 2013 #16 of 367
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Was that really even one of Frey's daughters?

17. Jun 3, 2013 #17 of 367
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I'm hoping Joffrey suffers some humiliation of some sort, but gets to continue living for a bit longer. He's a character that I love to hate.

I'll be surprised is Greyjoy Sr is killed. He's been absent the season, bringing him back for an episode only to kill him would have to be done carefully not to feel like his treatment was rushed. I suppose they could toss his head into Theon's room as yet another means of torture. (As an aside, it really feels like they stuffed 15 episodes of material into 10 episodes this season. The episodes keep rapidly flipping between characters to jam in way too much breadth per episode without enough depth)

The Daenerys storyline confused me this episode. Our three amigos go into the enemy city to stealthily kill the guards open the city gate from the inside. Fabio kills 3 guards according to plan as expected. Then a dozen guards rush into the scene and are battled by Fabio, Grey Worm, and Jorah. A bit of a stretch of credibility, but our heroes defeat the many guards. Then what seems like 50 guards rush into the scene and I figure all is lost. They showed so many guards to convince us that Jorah, Fabio, and Grey Worm could not possibly win.

Later in the episode, the three return to Daenerys victorious. I couldn't clearly understand the audio, so I don't know the explanation. Fabio was carrying a cloth... a flag of surrender maybe? Why? Like everything else this season (well, except Theon's torture scenes), the Yunkai plot felt rushed.

18. Jun 3, 2013 #18 of 367
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It was a little unclear to me as well, but apparently the slave guards were persuaded to lay down their arms, and without the slave guards, the city fell.

19. Jun 3, 2013 #19 of 367
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Yes. They were persuaded to join Danny's army for their freedom.

20. Jun 3, 2013 #20 of 367
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I guess having an army composed of slaves is a really bad idea, particularly when fighting an army composed of freed slaves.