Got mine ... first Tivo HD purchase at retail?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jfh3, Jul 25, 2007.

1. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I just bought a Tivo HD box at my local Circuit City ... am I the first retail purchase?

The clerks hadn't even gotten them to the shelves yet ... straight from the palette to my shopping cart. With a 10% off coupon and a $25 gift card and my latest Tivo was $268 out the door. :D

(If anyone else in the Denver area wants one, the Thonton store had one left about 45 minutes ago ...)

I might even be patient enough to copy the hard drive to a 500GB I have sitting around and keep the 160 drive as a virgin image ... and I have to figure out how to answer my wife's question "Why another Tivo?"

Anyone else get a box today, without having paid for overnight shipping yesterday?

Update:

1) No, I'm not patient enough
    2) I don't have an answer for my wife
    3) Got the coupon in the mail from CC a couple weeks ago
    4) I have S3s (both original orange and new improved yellow) to compare it with, as well as an S1, S2, S2DT and various DirecTivo flavors

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you have a S3 currently to compare against I will be curious to know about picture quality comparisons.

3. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    I see online that my local Circuit City in Ann Arbor has them as well as Novi. I wonder if I should go get one tanite for fun :)

4. MichaelMI

MichaelMI New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Cool!

Does anyone have a 10% online coupon to share for Circuit CCity? Thanks inadvance!

5. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Yes I second that, did you get it from a mailer? Or online?

6. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Congrats on the thrifty/timely purchase - I hope it works out well for you and if it makes your wife feel any better, just let her peruse my salutation.... I hear it from my wife all the time!! :eek:

7. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Crap, I had that very same coupon. Expires 7/31. I pitched it before I knew the TiVo HD was coming out.

8. bigusmfan

bigusmfan New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm sure you or others beat me but I got mine at a St Louis CC around 12:30 today. Being first is overrated anyway. Right S3 owners? ;)

9. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Nope! Happy as a pig in **** with my S3s!! :D

10. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    What about the pictures?!?!?!?! I don't beleive it until I see it in someone's living room. :)

Congrats on the purchase.

11. Ishma

Ishma New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Go Hokies...

Why are you such a doubter? I see product available in-stock on circuitcity
    Is it so hard to believe TiVo could have product available at launch? Wow what an achievement

12. bigusmfan

bigusmfan New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Yikes. Maybe I'm taking your tongue in cheek response out of context, but if not, you are certainly taking his too seriously.

GoHokies: I'll try to snap a shot sitting in my box tonight which is where it is staying until Charter comes in the morning with 2 cablecards for the install. We're moving this little baby isn't getting banged up.

13. jhershauer

jhershauer New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ...
    How about a crappy picture from a camera phone of the box in the back of my car? :)

(Purchased from Circuit City in North Scottsdale, AZ)

Attached Files:

14. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Awesome - I'm just excited that these are here now and not in 3 weeks or so, and am looking forward to hearing some first hand reports of how these boxes operate and look (not that I don't trust reviewers like MegaZone, but it's always good to hear what others were saying).

And yeah, chill TFO there Ishma (although I am honored that you used one of your 5 posts in the past year to make fun of me). You must have missed the big :) at the end of the sentence, I have nothing but faith that Tivo is going to fill the distribution channels chock full of the THD ASAP).

15. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    What! No seat belt for your beloved TiVo? :eek:
    Shame on you! ;)

16. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Actually, you would've picked yours up before I did. I had placed an order with CC through their phone line (the web site wouldn't allow me to use the coupon and my gift card) - I will NEVER order anything over the phone from CC again - what a hellish experience - almost two hours to do what should have been a trivial process.

Anyway, when I had started the order process, none of the local CC stores showed any in stock. When I was done, they did and off I went ... :) By the time I got home, the phone order already generated a shipping notice and I couldn't cancel it. I'll probably return it when it arrives, since I really don't know what I'll do with 2 THD boxes at this point, given the sad state of OTA in the Denver area and that I have two expanded lifetime S3s.

But, I've noticed the same thing as with the S3 launch - CC has them ready to go; Best Buy - nope.

During the day, it looks like most other stores in the Denver area showed stock, so it may be easier to get a TivoHD at retail early on than it was for the S3.

Just wait until next year when we'll have a bunch of people complaining they paid $299 when others are paying $149 ... :)

17. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    For what it's worth....you can typically buy CC 10% off coupon codes on ebay for about $1.50 or less. I've done it several times in the past year.

18. ldc3000

ldc3000 Member

Jun 24, 2004
    NC
    I purchased mine online from Circuit City and when I tried to use the $15 off any purchase $99 or above coupon it and it wouldn't work. I called customer service and was told that they are not taking any discounts off this item and it was at its absolute lowest price for the time being. Maybe I'll try again on a second one.

19. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I suspect it's because the TivoHD box is so new. I had the same problem when I first tried to use the coupon online and then over the phone. The phone CS folks verified that I should have been able to use the coupon, but I had to pay full price and then get an adjustment when I had an order number after the fact. What a horor.

It was *MUCH* easier when I went to the customer service desk in a real store - I used the coupon, a gift card and a CC credit card with no problem, all of which were issues online and over the phone.

20. sammydee

sammydee New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Waah...none in stock at the local BB or CC ... I checked. At BB the guy had heard of it but it wasn't even in their system...and they had S2 for sale but no S3s. At CC they'd never heard of it, but they had both S2s and S3s for sale.