Got Bolt Vox refurb to replace dead bolt, but Not remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by permanentpress, Jan 4, 2019.

1. permanentpress

permanentpress New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Phoenix,...

Advertisements

So my second Bolt+ died at 10 months just like my First Bolt+ ... but that's another angry story that took all my recordings without warning....
    Anyway tech said they were "out" of Bolt+ so it will be a Vox. I asked if it was a refurb (gunshy about refurbs, and about the bolt design really). He said, New actually. Cool!
    But, NO Actually. The shipping email says Vox without accessories. So ....
    Going to ask about getting a Vox remote at least for my troubles, but expect little help.
    Is there any other way to talk to the Tivo without the remote*? (I had the Echo and Google stuff set up and will move to this new one, but the IFFTT doesn't include some of the cool search stuff, hence my question.) Any alternate microphone hacks?

* And have it hear me; yeah I've been talking to it for years and will be swearing at Hydra (until I downgrade) but I sure set up that joke....

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you downgrade from hydra to encore, the voice remote functions are not available.

3. djones18

djones18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    If you ask TiVo may very well send a free Bolt VOX remote. When my Bolt+ died after 16 months (and out-of-warranty), I received a new Bolt VOX unit for $49.00. Written instructions for replacement procedure stated no new remote was included. So, I asked CSR to include a new free VOX remote for my trouble and she readily agreed. It was shipped separately and works great with my replacement Bolt VOX. Doesn't hurt to ask when replacing a broken Bolt for a new or refurbished unit.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Meaning, if you think of what you paid as being mostly for the remote, the box replacement was almost free. :) :clapping: