Got 14.9.2 and now my Premiere XL reboots every 5 minutes

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mvnuenen, Nov 20, 2011.

1. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Anyone else seen this?

Copied from my post in a different thread (which seems to suggest it was an Elite issue only):
    The moment my Premiere XL received 14.9 two days ago it started rebooting EVERY 5 MINUTES. It is now in a continuous loop. Initially it would even hang during the reboot (and reboot within the reboot - which was "solved" by unplugging the network cable). Now it actually reaches a full reboot but after 5 minutes... crash

I did notice one tuner has 0 and 0 for RS corrected and RS uncorrected. The other tuner had 138 and 256. Yet, mu PQ has always been outstanding with the Premiere and it only started after receiving the firmware upgrade

2. DBLClick

DBLClick Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Yes, just purchased my Tivo Premiere Elite and it begin to download from the server and boom. Every five min.

3. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Just spoke with Tivo tech support and they suggested Kickstart 57 (Media File System (MFS) check). I don't know what i am supposed to see but after the welcome screen it is all black now... (with only the green LED on)

Update: after pulling the M cable card the rebooting stopped. I still can watch the unencrypted channels as well. Might have found the culprit....

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually, it sounds like a hard drive issue. Tech support was right to have you do a kickstart. Each software install uses a alternating partition and there is probably an issue with the one in use right now.

5. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Well, in my case the Kickstart 57 didn't do anything. Pulling the M-card, however, did. Currently the rebooting stopped but of course I lost my encrypted channels. Hopefully a new M-card will solve the issue

6. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Just to close this thread: problem got solved by exchanging the M-cablecard

7. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Howdy. I think I'm having this same issue, though, I can't be certain if I have 14.9.2 or not - my TiVo just rebooted and is now stuck in a reboot loop.

If I go through this process, doesn't removing the cable card unpair it from the TiVo? Or can I just stick it back in and retrieve my encrypted channels again. (I don't want to have to pay for a $40 cable guy visit to repair the card).

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It will not unpair it unless you put another cablecard in the TiVo. And there isn't a major cable provider that doesn't let you pair the card over the phone.

9. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I'll give it a shot, assuming the SMART test comes back clean (it should). I tried moving the card from TiVo "A" to TiVo "B", and the back to TiVo "A" and it didn't work, so I'm kind of leery of making another mistake.

Not completely correct... BrightHouse (at least in Orlando) won't do a cable card over the phone. Stupid? Yes.

10. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Ok... pulling the cable card and the tuning adapter didn't resolve the issue. I'll finish the SMART test, and then go back to TiVo...

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You will probably lose pairing information putting it in another cablecard host but I am not 100% sure.

I did say major cable provider :). Anyways, according to their own website, you can pair over the phone: http://support.brighthouse.com/Article/What-Is-A-CableCARD-989/

12. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    Unless something has changed in the last month and a half, Charter won't let you do it. Requires a truck roll with a technician to re-pair cards.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I've paired cablecards on Charter at least 10 times over the phone and the internet. A simple email to umatter2charter these days will get your card paired correctly.