Gossip Girl 9/19/2007 (S01E01) "Pilot"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Sep 19, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I have to admit going into this show expecting, if not actually desiring/looking, to hate it. But if future episodes hold up as well as the pilot, I'm gonna enjoy this series quite a bit.

Dan Humphrey, Serena van der Woodsen, Erik van der Woodsen and Jenny Humphrey are why.

Right off the bat there's a sibling connection that's well established between the brothers and sisters. I hope that's explored more as well as finding that the attraction between Dan and Serena is reinforced because of that.

I'm a little put off by the over-emphasis on gossip distribution via SMS. But I can ignore that for the most part.

2. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I'll admit it. I'm hooked. For many of the same reasons you've already mentioned. I became a Blake Lively fan with Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and I'm glad she's a "white hat" in this show. She just lights up the screen.

The Kristen Bell narration is already getting annoying, but I think I'll be able to overlook it.

3. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I was about ready to give up about half way through this show. Looked like another show about spoiled kids acting like adults and the spoiled adults who act like kids who raised them.

The last 15 minutes saved it for me. I am a sucker for an underdog/outsider theme and as Doug said the sibling connections help out.

I am not completely sold on it yet but will give it a few more episodes to see which direction they take.

4. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Blashphemy!!!!

So far I like it and will get a couple more episodes before I make a decision.

5. Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs Go Blues

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern...

Advertisements

Yeah, this one is a keeper. B & S are two of the finer pieces of eye candy. ;)

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Okay. Favorite line of the episode:

"You will never be more beautiful or thin or happy than you are now. I just want you to make the most of it."

Funny.

7. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    I enjoyed it more than the leaked Lipstick Jungle pilot (hardly the same concept, but they are both more female oriented than most shows I watch). The Kristen Bell narration was fine, although not having read the books, I was expecting some sort of subtle nod to who Gossip Girl might actually be. I like the outsider siblings and my, has little Taylor Momsen grown up from little Cindy Lou Who.

The youthful cast is a little jarring since the parents are so young looking and the kids so mature looking. I looked up a couple of the parents and the actors are in the 36-40 range, so they could have teenage children.

I like some of the background connections, although I'm sure the ages and timelines are a little blurry if Lily is supposed to have slept with Trent Reznor before having Serena. I suppose it is possible for all the kids to have been born before that particular situation, it just plays awkwardly if Rufus and Lily were supposed to have had something going on.

8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Had some people over to watch another show, and we watched about 10 minutes of Gossip Girl before giving it up. I still have it on my tivo but am not convinced it's worth finishing. Does it get a little less snotty and OC-ish?

9. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    No but that is what made it great. I like the snotty and the OC type stuff.

10. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Watched the rest of the episode. It did get less snotty and more interesting. The main thing I want to see out if this show is less melrose place / oc and more realism. So far it's right on the edge and could easily tumble down into obnoxiousness. But it hasn't yet.

I'm not really sure how much "gossip girl" adds to "gossip girl" at this point. Hopefully in future episodes it will become more central to the plot and not feel like added on sarcastic narration.

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I got enough room on the TiVos to give this one an SP for a few weeks. I also like the sibling relationships. Leighton Meester (Blair) looked a lot better on "Surface" than she does here, though.

12. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    This show is awesome. Its part mean girls and part OC. Awesome.

13. TiVoKate

TiVoKate Cue the circus music

Nov 14, 2003
    Natick, MA
    After reading this thread, I am setting up a season pass. And they're replaying the Pilot tomorrow (Sunday) night. Woo! Can't wait.

14. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I really enjoyed this pilot, and am looking forward to the next show quite a bit. I was hoping this would be good since it was by the creator of O.C. I thought he delivered with this one, but will have to see how the next episodes go. I wouldn't be surprised if they get even better.

I agree with the above that Leighton M looked good but looked much better in Surface. Better outfits in Surface I'm sure had something to do with that. But, I thought Kelly Rutherford (of Melrose P) was looking good.

A few things that got me wondering: how these high school characters were able to freely sit at a bar in a major hotel and drink one martini after another; or, drink freely in the Limo or drink freely at the "Kiss On The Lips" party building. Not to mention that some 16 year old (17 at most) kid whose parents apparently own the major hotel goes into the kitchen and shuts it down early and sends the ktichen staff home so he can force himself on some high school girl. Even with all this, I thought the show was entertaining, and I'm really looking forward to seeing ep 2 and more.

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    So far, good enough to keep me going.

Certainly has some The O.C. themese in it. A dad trying to be hip, rich beautiful, etc. etc.

The connection between artist dad and Serena's mom will be interesting. Wonder how long it will take before the kids/parents see the connection themselves.

Chuck is a total *********. Will he be this show's Luke?

16. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Damn, Luke tried to rape a chick on The OC? Don't remember that one. ;) Now, if Chuck gets in on with Serena's mom, that would be very Luke Ward of him...

As for this show, TiVo'd it only because of Josh Schwartz and it didn't disappoint. I hate to be negative - really! - but, like The OC, I can see this losing steam quickly. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I feel way too old to be watching this... :)

Never saw Surface, but how good did Leighton look there?!? I think she looks fantastic as a brunette here...

17. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

No.. He didn't. But he was a real jerk. ("Welcome to the OC, *****! This is how we do it in Orange County!) :rolleyes:

Then, he became buddy buddy with ryan and seth. I'm just wondering if Chuck will quickly shed is bad guy persona was quickly as Luke did. But he has more to go. He tried to rape TWO girls in the first epsidoe.

18. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Not a bad show but Serena (despite being only 20 i real life) looks way outta HS. She just looks lot older than the rest of them.

The whole "check cell phone IMs in unison" deal was sort of corny too.

Frank

19. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    maybe that is what kids are doing these days? Have you seen those ads where everyone uses their sidekick to coordinate some sort of public "stunt".

Heck, I see adults doing pretty much the same thing. Always on teh Treo/Blackberry/etc. Just go to a TC Meet. :)

20. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wasn't trying to be snarky. At least to me, it's almost like when creating Chuck, Josh Schwartz was like, "How do I top Luke and all the ill s**t he did? I know, I know! I'll make him a rapist!"

But the text thing is SO true to life. That's all teens do nowadays (email lists are so 2005).