Gordon Ramsey: Cookalong Live 12/15/09

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by steve614, Dec 16, 2009.

1. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Anyone here try to actually cook along?

Not me. There is no way I can do things that fast. Maybe if I had all the ingredients chopped and ready with everything set out, but I don't have that much space.
    I do plan to transfer the show to my computer so I can try one dish at time. The appetizer could be lunch one day and the main course a dinner.
    I could take or leave the dessert that was featured. I'd rather have fresh hot brownies with ice cream on top. :cool:

At some point, Gordon said "and next week, we'll do..." which lead me to believe there will be other episodes, but none are scheduled in the guide.

During dessert...
    Gordon: LeAnn, do you like it thick?
    LeAnn: (muffled chuckle) Yes, I do!

:D:D:D

I think this would be a good show if you like to cook.

ETA: Did anyone experience a couple of audio dropouts? I did, and I was wondering if it was due to 'blanket' censoring due to the show being live.

2. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Can't believe this even made it air. Could only take 5 minutes of it...about the same amount of time those celebrity chefs have when they cook on Leno, Dave etc. Send it back across the pond and don't let Ramsey back until next season of Hell's Kitchen.

3. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    You mean till Kitchen Nightmares... unless that isn't on anymore.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'll stick with Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the original one, from Channel 4).

5. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York

Advertisements

I had a dropout during Cedric's segment, after which Ramsay was chuckling and saying something like "wow, Cedric". I assumed something got censored out.

The show seemed frantic and rushed but I enjoyed it anyway.

6. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I TiVoed it and will "skip" thru it tonight. I could not take watching it live but I like a couple of the celebrity cooks so I will give it a look tonight.

7. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Of which new episodes are airing on BBC America (just an FYI to those interested).

8. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    According to the press releases, it was intended as a one-time special.

It is possible that this was planned as the pilot for a cooking show (they need something to replace So You Think You Can Dance? in the summer...unless Fox is going to surprise everybody and move that show back to summer, considering how much of a mess it was in the fall; it's possible, as the next season's auditions start in January), but I have a feeling it was just a joke. Either that, or some wishful thinking by Gordon.

-- Don

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    A check of Wiki indicates that the two new episodes they've aired are the only two new episodes produced since Series 5 in 2007. :(

10. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    That was the funniest part of the show. Overall I enjoyed the show but it was definitely live and a bit rushed. I bet people might use their DVR and pause it to follow along later.

11. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    Ramsay seemed off to me during the beginning. I noticed that he kept saying "amazing." It was almost like a nervous twitch for him. Anyway, the show was mildly entertaining at best.

12. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    got the audio drops several times too.

i thought Whoopis' daughter saying they would not be doing this again was funny.
    i bet a lot of viewers would not watch this again either.

13. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I enjoyed it overall. I did skip around a bit but the celebrity chefs and all the cuts to others cooking added to it. I would watch another one like this as long as I like the guest chefs.

14. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    Amazing! Incredible!! Flambé!!!

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    At the very least, it gave America more Alyson, which is never a bad thing.

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I found it rather odd and uncomfortable. I like GR, and that is the one reason I recorded it, but it just had an offness about it for me. I like Steak Diane and it did make me want to prepare that item (at a later date), so I made it through the entire episode but just barely. I wanted to bale a couple of times.

I suppose for one who needs to learn to cook it might be a good type of show, however. I already know how to cook.

His plastic surgery came out great. I don't know why he didn't do that sooner!

17. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    We didn't care for it here. It's just not the type of show we want to watch here on a week night. It felt more like a daytime or weekend type show. Besides, I've seen this premise done to death so many times already. The "cook along" idea just wasn't enough to make it interesting. After seeing Ramsay in his "other shows", all the "niceness" just seemed fake to me. :D

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    He really is a pretty warm guy... the FOX shows turn him into a caricature. Watch some of his British shows; he'll still be a bit of a hard-ass, but that's usually because he cares so much about the people,and/or the restaurant where he is.

19. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Oh I've seen the British shows. I'm actually a pretty big fan of GR. Well I was more of a fan before he did the American Versions of his shows. :p

I'm still a fan, but I think he overdoes it on the American versions and I've said the same thing you said to me, to my wife. The Gordon Ramsay you see on Fox isn't the same Gordon Ramsay. I had SP's for most all of the British variants of Kitchen Nightmares and I liked all. I'm just not a fan of him on this particular type of show. I know he's probably a nice guy, but I also know he doesn't suffer fools gladly. There was more than one occasion where I could tell he was biting his tongue, where the Gordon I know, would probably have made a sarcastic remark. :D

20. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Stupid Fox. The F Word on BBC is 1000X better than this. Why does Fox keep trying to take what is a good show and make it silly. I am pretty sure when he made the tiramisu, it was the same footage from the F word, only redubbed into his faster paced speech on this show. He clearly cooked all the dishes in his kitchen, and even ended with his signature "done" when he was finished.

This was just another example of Fox failing to just port what is a good show already and instead turning it into garbage.