GoogleTV getting an update this weekend...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by news4me2, Oct 28, 2011.

1. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/28/just-lipstick-on-a-pig/

I found the following paragraph from the Tech Crunch article very interesting....

"Think of the TV & Movie app as a new guide. It attempts to bring together cable/satellite content with programming from the major paid streaming services. Better yet, it’s smart, presenting results based on viewing history and preferences. Say you want to watch Boardwalk Empire. The guide presents all the available viewing options: Your TV provider’s HBO channel naturally, but also HBO Go, and Netflix or Amazon if they’re available. This information is presented in a gorgeous grid view enhanced with cover art and additional information. During a chat I had last week with Google TV’s head, Mario Queiroz, he indicated that the team’s goal is to provide an API for this service with the intent to improve the search experience even more."

2. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
  3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

It kinda sounds like it does what Tivo used to claim to do as far as the search is concerned.

I had a Sony unit and returned it. For the price, it wasn't worth it. If this upgrade is any good, I could see getting a new one for $99.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Until they come up with new hardware that doesn't require a remote with 100 or more buttons, it's hard to pass the WAF.