Google TV needs to work with TiVo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by doctord, May 20, 2010.

1. May 20, 2010 #1 of 263
    doctord

doctord Member

Dec 17, 2004
  2. May 20, 2010 #2 of 263
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    That video is bogus.

First, Tivo has made it possible so you don't have to know what channel or what time your show is on for the last 10 years.

Second, I know Google's press release says now you can have millions of channels by combining the internet with TV. Well that really solves the television hardship the video says we all suffer from. Not.

Also I think people watch internet on TV because it is free (and on-demand) more than they do because it is easy to find. And tv shows on the internet are only free because they are viewed as a secondary (really third or 4th) money stream.

The real money (for content providers) comes from the cable and satellite companies.

Anyway Google TV seems like the same thing Tivo is doing. Probably no coincidence Tivo released the Premiere before it was ready for primetime.

Before I forget, do we really want to surf the 'net on our TVs? No one has made a great interface for that yet.

I'd rather surf with an Ipad or laptop on the couch and watch TV on my big screen. It would be great if my iPad could talk to my TV to find content etc. OH wait, Comcast has an app for that in the works. Apple has their own Remote app too. Tivo needs to get on board this as well.

Imo Google is a bit naive about this thing. Good luck signing up those content providers and working with the cable companies.

edit: Hell this GoogleTV isn't even a DVR. I watched on Engadget and they were controlling a Tivo with some of the logitech/GTV software on the iPhone. This is just another box to buy. Basically Google search hardware.

3. May 20, 2010 #3 of 263
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    There may be too much of an over-lap between the two products. But there is a possibility that the two can be melded. Between Google TV, Android and Chrome OS, they might provide much of the systems infrastructure that TiVo's software sits on.

Currently the file system that TiVo uses seems very limited and inflexible.
    TiVo also appears to be spending resources on LAN driver performance -- to the point that they can only support a very limited number of actual network interface chipsets/devices.

There also seems to be an inordinate amount of resources required to port to non-TiVo hardware (E.g., Direct TV, Comcast hardware etc.) Linux should be very portable, but Google's OS's may eventually be just as portable and provide a more comprehensive set of services. Further, TiVo's HD-GUI might be able to use some additional help on the systems software/API side.

So there might be something to gain from TiVo's perspective. TiVo currently sits on Linux. So, it may depend on Google TV's ability to sit on Linux or Android/Chrome OS's ability to support Linux APIs and easily allow any required customization. Since both Android and Chrome OS are based on Linux, that may not be a major issue.

Additionally, Google TV and the rest of the Google suite support Flash. The TiVo HD-GUI is written in Flash (or a variant). So it may be fairly easy to port.

However, Google TV currently supports only Atom processors. TiVo hardware uses Broadcom chips. Google will probably need to port its code to Broadcom before anything happens. And TiVo will need to have the capital to invest.

4. May 20, 2010 #4 of 263
    RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    I think it has a lot of promise. Of course, in it's first release it won't be the holy grail. The only real piece it seems to be missing is a DVR and it looks like it will attempt to integrate with TiVo on some level to get there for now.

It's only a matter of time till someone builds a GoogleTV box with DVR functionality built in.

The concept is compelling since it's an open platform where anyone can play. You buy the box and then you don't have to pay Google anything.

5. May 20, 2010 #5 of 263
    somecut

somecut New Member

May 7, 2010
    Isnt Tivo being run integrated with Google TV here in this video?

engadget.com/2010/05/20/logitechs-google-tv-companion-box-includes-smartphone-apps-we/

Looks to be some overlap with the youtube, netflix, amazon on demand, etc...but i think it was mentioned in this thread that the google tv doesnt have DVR (although i thought i saw a non tivo looking 'record show' graphic. Tivo can be this DVR, and looks like it is in the above posted video.

6. May 20, 2010 #6 of 263
    RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    It appears to be integrating with TiVo but it begs a lot of questions:

How is it integrating with Tivo?
    It appears to be a Premier. Did they right some piece of software that talks to TiVo over the network? Will they be able to integrate with earlier Tivos?

I bet the earlier Tivos will integrate via IR blaster and I have doubts if an IR blaster experience will be seamless enough for folks (especially if you tivo is controlling your cable box with another IR blaster!)

7. May 20, 2010 #7 of 263
    bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    Yeah, they are really counting on IR blasters to work. Because it has the whole Logitech Harmony remote internals inside, this thing should be able to control almost anything. But, with that said, IR blasters are not reliable in my experiance. Good luck with that google... My take: You've taken the crappiest parts of the Premiere (web video search & apps that on a PC would take 10 secs, but from your couch an hour, etc.) and made it into a seperate box. Thanks but no thanks.

8. May 21, 2010 #8 of 263
    nexus99

nexus99 New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    If the Google box could talk to the Tivo over the network and understand what its recording... and then be able to control multiple Tivos... basically truning them into a quad tuner logical TIVO system... that would be HOT. I'd buy it. 2 tuners is not enough for me.

9. May 21, 2010 #9 of 263
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Dish Network/Echostar has been partners with Google on this from nearly the beginning and the "missing DVR" will be all Dish Network ViP STB's. Best Buy is also a partner as well as a few others I can't recall, but the DVR that will have the Google TV is Dish Network's by software download sometime this fall.

10. May 21, 2010 #10 of 263
    jwagner010

jwagner010 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Google TV will be successful because it is an open development environment. Its the Apps running across Google TV and Andriod Phones that will (over time) make this successful. Tivo needs to wake up and move away from its proprietary standards and get a real SDK out there with an App store and then adopt open standards like DLNA. By enabling a community Tivo could be successful but the track Tivo is on today leads to no where with their walled garden approach.

11. May 21, 2010 #11 of 263
    cranbers

cranbers New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Google is excellent at coming in to new markets, and causing a whole lot of chaos. GPS, browser market, phone os, even desktop os. Now its google tv.

This company has the money, publicity and market power to make almost anything successful, especially for a free product.

Everyone dismissed Android, and these big companies like microsoft, apple etc are paying close attention now.

Tivo better pay close attention, nothing has ever been a threat of this magnitude before.

We might be looking at the final decade of traditional over a cable based tv. at which point tivo being a single product company is going to die almost overnight.

This kind of one box front to back top to bottom solution needs to happen.

You don't need DVR capability when you have on demand. Put out a cheap box, no monthly fees and make it extremely easy to use. And some free unlimited marketing (google gets free press all the time, for almost everything it does).

And pit it up against a company who has limited resources that hardly makes any money, with a box that costs over a hundred dollars a year in service fees addition to the up front cost of the box. And what is the result?

You have a funeral to plan.

Google/logitech may have single hand idly just put tivo on death watch. Their only hope is to be bought out by microsoft or some other large company that can back it with a revenue stream and make it a better value, with no monthly service fees.

"We’re working together with Sony and Logitech to put Google TV inside of televisions, Blu-ray players and companion boxes. These devices will go on sale this fall, and will be available at Best Buy stores nationwide. You can sign up here to get updates on Google TV availability."

RIP Tivo, you have been given the "you have stage 4 cancer" diagnosis.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/announcing-google-tv-tv-meets-web-web.html

12. May 21, 2010 #12 of 263
    JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    So was that video meant to impress me? It had very little information to even make a judgement. The blog is also light on details.
    Judging from the information available, TiVo appears to be the better product.

13. May 21, 2010 #13 of 263
    trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Where's this On-Demand content going to come from? Thin air?

GoogleTV is vaporware until probably next year. I don't even think it is DVR software. It's really just a browser and search for your TV. Not sure that is going to take off. SEems to me most would rather surf on an iPad or laptop or iPhone/Touch while watching TV instead of surfing and watching on their TV.

Tivo seems to be doing enough in the video search direction and even has a nifty upcoming remote with a keyboard to keep them as alive as they've been the last few years which is to say on life support, but not any worse than usual.

14. May 21, 2010 #14 of 263
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    From Amazon, Netflix, internet video streaming, etc.

Release for the first devices was stated as Fall 2010.

I would LOVE for TiVo to get on board and integrate with GoogleTV. It would compliment the TiVo features very well.

I currently have a couple episodes of stuff that I want to catch up with that my TiVo missed or was pushed off due to space limitations. Right now, I'd find it on my laptop, connect the HDMI to my TV and watch it there. With Google TV, I'd just search, find, play...that would be cool.

15. May 21, 2010 #15 of 263
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Yawn.

16. May 21, 2010 #16 of 263
    brigont

brigont New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    JT,

Now who's making assumptions about what's a better product.

If Google's product could search and display Web Content, Local Network content available via my NAS or a remote backup, AND content recorded on my Tivo.. then it's already better than Tivo.

And - based on the video... I don't have to enter a seperate control area in order to search...

Only time will tell..

17. May 21, 2010 #17 of 263
    trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    See you wouldn't be able to do that for the same reason Hulu isn't on your Tivo. The content companies don't want you too to watch internet video on your TV. They have to protect the money streams they get from Satellite and Cable.

That was my point when I said, "Where is this On-Demand going to come from?" It ain't coming from free internet video like Hulu.

Google isn't going to be able to circumvent this.

And you can already go on Amazon On-Demand or iTunes and buy the show you missed and watch it on your TV.

btw, Comcast already takes care of your problem with something called On-Demand. It's free if you're a subscriber.

18. May 21, 2010 #18 of 263
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Maybe an alliance between TiVo and Google on this would benefit both - at least an alliance where Google TV could be an app on the Premiere. After all, Microsoft is suing TiVo (in relation to the AT&T DVR) and MS essentially has a built in competing DVR in their operating system. If Google aligned with TiVo to provide DVR functionality, they could better compete with MS and Media Center. Maybe.

19. May 21, 2010 #19 of 263
    trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    GoogleTV isn't a product yet so you don't have to make assumptions about which is the better product.

20. May 21, 2010 #20 of 263
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    How? How do I get that on my TV? If I can't do that now, why is Google TV not a good option for me?

And I don't have, and will not consider Comcast.