Google TV buys Sage TV maker of HTPC software

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Jun 18, 2011.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  2. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    You can certainly bet that this will end up in Google TV at some point. If I were Tivo I would be very worried when that happens. Google TV may not be up to par now but just like Android before you know it it will be a huge gorilla in the ring.

I had hoped Google might just buy Tivo now that seems very unlikely and Tivo doesn't have a shot in hell of taking on Google in court.

Tivo better get rolling on some serious updates. Their time in very quickly coming to a close.

3. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah it should be interesting. I always heard good things about the Sage TV extenders.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If/when cable cards get replaced I believe there are a number of players that will be very interested in being the "one Box". This appears to show that Google believes the "one Box" will need to included or at least offer a DVR. Along with Google I see Microsoft, Apple, Sony, Samsung and maybe Nintendo all looking at ways to be in control of the eyes in our living room.

Lets be Honest it is about time some of this devices get combined. Who really wants individual STBs, DVRs, Gaming consoles, Internet Streaming devices, blu-ray players and receivers attached to their TVs. Seems like it is time to combine some of these platforms (which of course everyone is doing by adding streaming to their DVR, TV, Game console, receiver, or blu-ray player). If Cable cards gets replaced with something that works well I am sure more devices will build that in which is a natural lead to including a DVR.

Thanks,

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    It would be sadly ironic if TiVo's ultimate downfall was that they neglected their stand-alone business in favor of pursuing MSO deals only to have someone like Google succeed in popularizing retail DVRs.

6. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Google will of course have the issue of attracting hardware makers to the market though based off their past performance with google tv. Of course technically they do pickup some hardware via the sage extender.

I wonder if things like the play ready license transfer. Some people thought sage was going to possibly add cable card support when they grabbed the license but nothing ever came of it.

7. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    It is a good question, will Google start directly manufacturing GoogleTV? Or will they just incorporate the Sage DVR software into GoogleTV's android source code? I think its the latter given what they've done with phones and they don't seem to be too interested in hardware.

8. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    The new Cloud Xfinity UI that Comcast showed off, where it goes to the cloud for everything, is right up Google's alley.

Combine with the Sage TV pickup. Tantalizing.

The only problem being the retail DVR market is nearly closed. Tivo is barely floating. And that's your only choice at retail.

So...would they really get into that business? Maybe.

I mean they wouldn't have to take the hardware risk. Their partners would do that.

They could provide the software and subsidize it through search. Wouldn't have to have monthly fees then like Tivo.

But customers don't like paying alot up front. RAther pay more in the long run and less upfront.

Cable cards can be picked up starting in August? Yet the average customer probably wouldn't touch a cablecard with a 10' pole.

More likely they make an OTA DVR. Combine that with internet streaming. As a cable substitute.

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It's possible Sage TV could just die on the vine, like Moxi support and development did.

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It could, but I don't see it. Moxi wasn't doing well where Sage TV while not huge had a pretty dedicated following and I don't think Sage was struggling.

I could see Google possibly killing off Sage to incorporate it, but it seems smarter to do the opposite and incorporate Google TV into Sage TV. I could see them dropping the Sage TV name, but still releasing a desktop version. It would possibly even make sense to include it in the Google OS. It just seems like it would be a good central server for all the Google TV devices to play off of where any Google TV device could be an extender.

11. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Cloud storage is not the answer when most carriers are putting in data caps and drives are cheap, huge and reliable. End of story.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I agree with this.

Just for the record Cloud storage = Internet Streaming.

I know that many people think Internet Streaming/Cloud storage will replace DVRs and OTA/CAble/Satellite services. In a perfect world this could be true. But the current reality for many people is that Internet streaming is a supplement to be used with a DVR recording form OTA/Cable/Satellite not a replacement and in my opinion it is going to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Cloud storage will be perfect for something like the Xbox. They are supposed to implement could storage to keep track of game saves, avatar things etc. Things that don't use very much bandwidth. But for TV content it would be a bandwidth hog.
    Although I ahve FiOS and they currently don't have a cap. But that can still change in the future.

14. Krandor

Krandor Active Member

Jun 9, 2004
    I really don't think anybody else (including google) will get into the DVR market right now with the current mess of CC and TA. If and when something better like Tru2Way actually becomes a reality then they may get in, but I wouldn't expect it in the short term.

15. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    FYP (maybe?) - I don't think Tru2Way is being considered anymore.

16. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    With Google's track record when it comes to consumer products Sage is as good as dead, not right away but slowly, and for what, Google TV can't be saved. Someday Google may actually do market research, but until then....

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    on the other hand - if Google finally makes a market for stand alone DVRs and sics its gorilla on the FCC to get ALLVID to actually do something useful for common access to cable feeds then TiVo has a market to sell to and a reason to shift some resources back to stand alone retail boxes

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I agree - these types of things come in waves and the current wave of streaming has hit simply because there is enough size in the pipe but the total infrastructure is not there yet to handle all media by IP streaming.
    However, the broadcasters are figuring out better VOD solutions that to the consumer is the same benefit as streaming. Eg - I missed a show and did not record it, what do I do -- oh cool I can watch it via my cable company VOD included in my cable bill already.
    With this strategy the broadcasters are going to keep in the game and be around for some time to come. Despite all our fussing about service and billing, broadcasters are still the easiest way to get media

19. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Well Google is part of the Allvid alliance that TiVo is also a part of along with Best Buy iirc.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    exactly - and if Google had plans to really make use of Sage TV then it could compel Google to put more money, guns and lawyers into the alliance