Google TV and TiVo HD Set Up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Joey Bagadonuts, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1 of 52
    Joey Bagadonuts

Joey Bagadonuts New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Hello,

Can someone either walk me through or direct me to a video or website that explains how to set up Google TV with TiVo HD please?

Thank you,
    Joe

2. Sep 3, 2011 #2 of 52
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Nothing much to set up, I did it without any instructions. How I would recommend setting it up would depend on which Google TV device you have and whether or not you will use an AVR for audio or video processing. You may get some recommendations to return it but I am using the Logitech Revue Google TV with TiVoHD and it works great for my needs. I just wanted web browsing and access to internet video streaming to supplement OTA with TiVoHD as part of my solution to cut the cable cord.

3. Sep 3, 2011 #3 of 52
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Chris, when you say "using with" do you really mean side by side using two different inputs on your AV receiver?

I suspect so because as far as I can tell there is very little integration you can do with the two devices.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #4 of 52
    Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It depends on what he has. The Logitech Revue and Sony Blu-ray/Google TV have HDMI pass through which can combine internet with cable or OTA in a usable manner and he may want to run the HDMI output from the TiVoHD through the box. The Revue has some Harmony remote controls built in so he can use it to control his TiVoHD and switch between TiVo and Google TV. I don't own the Sony version but it has faster processor, 1.66GHz Intel Atom although I don't know if processing power allocated to Google TV is much greater than the 1.2GHz Intel Atom used by the Revue.

If he has a Google TV HDTV, I haven't really paid any attention to what can be done but he will just run the TiVoHD to the display HDMI input, either through an AVR or switcher first or directly. How he handles audio will depend on what his audio setup is.

I may be in the minority but I love Google TV, I have a queue of internet programs to stream, not unlike my TiVo now playing list and all I have done when using Google TV for viewing for days is just choose something to watch from the queue. I am not using it in a system with HDMI audio processing, I am running optical audio out from the Revue to my AVR. I do have HDMI audio processing in my home theater but that isn't where my Google TV will reside, at least not most of the time.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #5 of 52
    Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Very sorry for the delayed response. Got ordered into work. Should have included in the opening post that I have the Logitech Revue. As luck would have it, my partner at work has had the Revue for about 3 months and he walked me through the set up. Came home, followed his instructions, and voilla, 15 minutes later, it's working perfectly!

Your comment that I may get recommendations to return the Revue is bothersome. Is there something I should know? :confused:

6. Sep 3, 2011 #6 of 52
    Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have read a lot of complaints from people, including some here at this forum, some at AVSForums and some at Google TV Forum. Most complaints make little or no sense to me and I decided to make up my own mind about the product and my intended uses for the product and it works just as i hoped it would before I bought it. Some complaints are abusrd to me, the expectations for a $100 product seem to me unreasonable. You should be able to find lots of complaints online.

7. Sep 3, 2011 #7 of 52
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    My complaints about the Revue is that the GoogleTV user interface is very disjoint. It seems like every app has a different look & feel. The whole thing just seems like 10 different on-line services that got glued together.

8. Sep 3, 2011 #8 of 52
    Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    OK, thanks. Thought I did my homework before purchasing, but maybe I missed something. I know a lot of networks refuse to let GTV access their stuff but, like you, I bought it mostly for web access on our big screen TV as well as a way to stream Amazon Premier. Pretty good deal for 100 bucks, far as I'm concerned.

9. Sep 4, 2011 #9 of 52
    Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't know what apps you are talking about but for the most part, I use it to access web sites which are often very different. I don't call going to a web page and playing video through the browswer an app but if that is what you are talking about, yes it would be like hundreds of online services glued together. I don't think we are going to see standardized web sites, except to the extent there are many different ways to play video at a website and each site will be limited to one of those ways. ESPN3 just changed to requiring Flash player 10.2 or greater, the Revue has 10.1 installed, I am waiting on an Adobe update.

10. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Would you guys recommend a GoogleTV (Revue) + S3 Tivo + Digital Cable setup? I am tempted to go for it since the used prices of Revue units are going down more and more.....

11. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I looked for a used Revue for a few weeks before giving up and just purchasing a second Revue new. Where are you seeing these used Revues at significant savings compared to new?

12. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I just bought one from eBay for $70 free shipping

13. hooverf16

hooverf16 New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Just bought a Revue and hooked it up. Setup okay but after returning home after a few hours, my Tivo HD box had a flashing yellow light on it and had a grey screen on the screen. Feared a hard drive issue but rebooting the Revue fixed the problem temporarily. I reseated all of the cables and disabled the Anynet feature on the Samsung DLP TV. That seemed to fix the problem but when using the keyboard, the issue recurred. At that time, the right LED on the Revue flashed and the screen again went grey. My suspicion is that the Revue is trying to control the Tivo via IR. I think it is trying to power down the Tivo or some other feature that is locking up the Tivo. If anyone has any ideas on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Yes, it appears that pressing the STB button on the keyboard of the revue will put the Tivo in standby mode.

15. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I bought one from Amazon a week ago and got a separate $5 and $10 discount, so it only cost $84.99. No tax and free shipping. It took them 4 days to actually ship the item and then another day for the item to actually be delivered.

16. hooverf16

hooverf16 New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Any ideas on the flashing of the LEDs and the grey screen? It is really more than just a standby mode. It appears to lock the Tivo up until the Revue is restarted, sometimes multiple times. I don't want to damage the Tivo because of conflicts caused by the Revue. Please help...I think this has great potential but the Tivo will take priority over the Revue.
    Thanks

17. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Wasn't it a $300 product when it first went on sale? I don't think it's worth $300, but for $100 it's not bad to have a browser on the TV with a small set top box and wireless keyboard controller. It also seems like everything is up-scaled to 1080P

18. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Have you tried pressing the STB button on the keyboard to see if the Tivo is brought out of standby mode? You also might want to turn off the keyboard for the revue when you're not using it to avoid inadvertent button presses.

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Logitech says the Revue has apps for Netflix and Amazon videos. Can it put these full screen HD on your TV? I'm wondering if it's just putting a browser window on your TV. IIRC, Netflix won't stream videos in HD to browsers.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Logitech system requirements for the Revue state:
    I assume "set-top box" would be replaced by "TiVo HD" in my case. If this is really necessary it would be a major problem since I have to use component from TiVo to TV. If I use HDMI, the TiVo frequently locks up and reboots.