Google Live Channels on Tivo Stream 4K

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by spiderpumpkin, May 18, 2020.

1. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    The new Stream 4K comes with Google Live Channels app installed so I checked it out. It automatically found my HD Homerun Quatro on the network and added the OTA channels. It also found the Pluto TV app and added those channels.

I noticed Live Channels has a built in DVR that can record OTA channels locally on storage connected to the Stream 4K. So I took a USB-C to USB adapter and hooked up an old powered USB 1.5TB external hard drive I had and now my Stream 4K can record OTA.

One nice thing is you can uncheck channels you don't want in the guide including Pluto TV and the makes this a better app for PlutoTV because you can narrow the selection down. I wish it could record PlutoTv because that would be awesome.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    ke3ju and Noelmel like this.
  2. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017

3. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Is it only for live streaming services? I played around with it, and it doesn't list netflix, prime or anything like that. Clicking on DOWNLOAD more sources only gets you to a TRY AGAIN/RETRY error.

4. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Yeah, it only works with things like Hd Homerun Quatro OTA and HD Homerun Prime cablecard.

5. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Hmm, so if you had a cablecard in a HD Homerun Prime, you can access your DVR recordings? Something we've been begging Tivo to do with the Tivo Stream app?

6. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    The HDHR Prime is a cablecard tuner. You'd need to run Google's Live Channels DVR to record shows on your own hard drive connected to the Stream 4K.

7. stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Do you have more then one stream? If yes do those recordings show up on the other streams or are they limited to the local attatched hard drive

mschnebly likes this.
  8. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    I only have one Android TV and it's the TiVo Stream 4K.

I don't know if Google Live Channels recordings are viewable on other Android TVs locally or remotely. If I had to guess it's just for local viewing on the Android TV box the hard drive is connected to. I suppose a quick Google search may give an answer?

I have the getchannels.com Channels DVR running on an old MacMini and that is main use for my HDHR OTA and Primes. I was just testing out Google's Live Channels app to see how it works.

I mainly use Google Live Channels app to watch PlutoTV because you can hide the channels you don't watch. So instead of 100 PlutoTV channels in the guide there are only about 20 that I watch.

Our main TV has a TE3 TiVo Bolt Vox. Another room has a TE3 TiVo Bolt Vox and a TiVo Stream 4K that is mainly a getchannels.com Channels DVR client. We have two TiVo Bolt Vox boxes because that way recordings are separated but still viewable on each TV. The Channels DVR server is for recording higher quality OTA channels mainly and series passes that I'm saving up since it can have a huge hard drive.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  9. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    I've been messing around with this too. It'll let me pause live TV, but tells me to insert a drive bigger than 50GB to record. My drive is 128GB so I don't know why that's not enough. I think it has to do with the forced encryption.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    It must not be using your drive at all. You have to do some setup to point it to your drive and let the box format it. I used Google Live Channels for a couple of years on a different Android TV box, and it was great. Unfortunately, I no longer own any Android TV devices, so I can't give you detailed steps.

11. runbadgerrun

runbadgerrun New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Another intriguing option that again takes you out of the Tivo ecosystem. I have a feeling that my Bolt may soon become irrelevant and I will go with a network tuner. Which is unfortunate because I like the Tivo UI. But it is becoming more and more important to the newer versions of apps like Netflix and Hulu which are clearly never coming to the Bolt. Let alone Disney+ or anything else new that may come along.

Chris Fox likes this.
  12. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    You need to let the box format it as internal storage.

13. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Active Member

Mar 3, 2017
    TiVo should utilize this as a way to integrate live OTA or cable channels into their TiVo Stream ecosystem, that is if they don’t integrate their own DVRs for God knows why.

14. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    i thought it constantly accessed the usb drive so hard drives would wear out quick?

15. Intention

Intention New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Is this a USA only feature?

I have a USB drive plugged in, formatted as internal storage (i can move apps to it etc) However, any programme I click on in the guide gives the message "The programme cannot be recorded"

Any ideas?

16. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    Did all that, let's me pause live TV, but no way to record, even tho in the guide, it says recordable. Seems like an experimental item that may never work right unless enough people embrace using it.

17. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    Did that, several times.

18. Rickjb

Rickjb New Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I also set up Live Channels with a 1TB externally powered drive. I recorded several shows from my hdhomerun. I had random but frequent flickering while watching the Hdhomerun through the Live Channels app that I did not have watching through the HDhomerin app. I finally gave up and ended up returning the device. Is anyone else getting the flickering?

19. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    No flickering here, I'm wired gigabit Ethernet on every device.

20. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Probably network related. Are you using wifi?