Google is raising the price of YouTube TV to $50

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by skypros, Apr 10, 2019.

1. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
  2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Thanks for the post, this is the first I've seen of this news.

An important point to note is that, although the price is going up from $40 to $50 (a 25% increase!), YouTube TV is finally filling some big gaps in their channel line-up by adding Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, MotorTrend and EPIX. Those channels aren't worth an extra $10 though (unless EPIX is included in the base package, which I assume it isn't), so the increase to $50 is at least partly a move by Google to make the service (more) profitable.

Just as regular cable and satellite packages go up in price every year or two, I expect we'll continue to see these streaming alternatives continue to creep up too. At the end of the day, cable TV is expensive not because the distributors are making a ton of money off of it but because the content providers are.

mschnebly and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Well, that does suck. Puts it at a price that makes me think a little more...

4. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    A lot of folks combine YouTube TV at $40 with the $16 Philo package in order to get those Discovery/Scripps, Viacom and Hallmark channels that Philo offers but YTTV lacks. But that's not as attractive a combo now that YTTV costs $50 and includes the most popular Discovery/Scripps channels.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, getting to be about the same price as cable with a bundle. And they're not the only ones jacking prices recently.

No one shouod be surprised that pay TV aint cheap no matter where it's from.

ClayKY, tenthplanet and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  6. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Adding these ever increasing streaming provider prices to the price of an internet only Comcast subscription is definitely a no go for me. I'd much rather just get a $120-160 Comcast Double or Triple Play.

7. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I wish there was a cheaper option where you could pick say the 10-15 channels you want. I really only care about very few channels.

Noelmel and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  8. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Given the delivery costs for live streams, (especially at the quality YTTV is offering) vs. cable or satellite, I'd say they might still be losing money on average, depending on how much people just "have the TV on" while doing things. Streaming really makes traditional broadcast methods look cheap.

9. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    The only way you really save any money with these streaming services is with the equipment costs. When I had Verizon Fios I was paying over $50/month just to rent a DVR and 1 box for another TV. The cost of the TV package itself is pretty much the same between streaming and traditional cable.

trip1eX likes this.
  10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, I'd generally agree. The streaming services don't charge for equipment (since you use your own) and they all allow at least 2 simultaneous viewers. Plus they don't upcharge you for HD versions of channels, they don't have separate broadcast and RSN fees, and some level of DVR service is automatically included in the base price (except with Sling TV). So you have to include all those extra charges with traditional cable TV when comparing to the streaming services. Of course, on the other hand, those traditional services tend to offer discounts when you bundle TV in with broadband.

If you're already saving money on DVR service and hardware rentals by owning a TiVo, you probably won't save much, if any, by switching to a streaming cable TV service. But for the vast majority of cable TV subscribers who don't use TiVo, yeah, they could save at least a little by switching to YouTube TV (assuming it has the channels they want).

tenthplanet and giomania like this.
  11. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I suspect that cable and streaming will converge toward a common value over time. I left streaming almost a year ago when the cable company made me an offer that put them within $15/mo with more channels. Plus, having multiple sources was confusing for my wife.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  12. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Now that we have the Caavo, my wife handles shifting to different sources pretty smoothly now. Lifesaver!!!!!

tenthplanet likes this.
  13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Chicken Little looking up, screaming as he runs: "The sky is falling, the sky is falling...the sky...AHHHHH" sound of Chicken Little falling into ravine. Bystander: "Do you think we need to get a bigger BRIDGE OUT sign ?"

dlfl likes this.
  14. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    There's some truth to that, I use high speed internet without a data cap and work remotely a lot, so some of streaming economics make sense for me. If I didn't need the high speed internet the economics change. Ultimately it's whatever works for you. Which is why we got Tivos in the first place. :)

15. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    And streaming services can be turned on and off for a month at a time via a website, so much easier than dealing with cable companies and getting, activating and returning equipment. Cable channels only have so much New scripted tv each year, so little it hardly seems worthwhile if they are just going to show up on Netflix or Hulu or Prime.

16. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Having choices is always a very good thing!

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    This, and also: streaming services have fixed, publicly known, prices not subject to the time-wasting used-car-salesman bargaining it takes to get the best price from a cable provider. In my last go around with Spectrum I learned that just threatening to cut cable isn't enough. I didn't get the bargain until I actually instructed them to drop the cable service. Of course they act this way because it works, i.e., because of the typical consumer's behavior. (Same reason as for the sleazy behavior of our politicians and "news" media -- they give us what we respond to.)

mschnebly, skypros and jth tv like this.
  18. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I agree with this. I cancelled cable 2 years ago. I had signed up for Philo streaming service for a while but found that I was rarely using it, so I cancelled even despite the cheap ($16) cost. I use an antenna and Roamio DVR for all my network TV, plus Hulu and Netflix. This gives me more programming than I ever have time to watch at a small fraction of what I was paying for cable.

jth tv likes this.
  19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm still expecting Comcast to spin off their TV service into an OTT package and offering it nationwide. I'm actually surprised they haven't already. Unless there is some government regulation that prevents it. It seems like maybe the future of pay TV is an OTT package like this combined with OTA antenna for locals. (bundling locals into OTT is complicated because of the various franchise rules)

mschnebly likes this.
  20. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Spectrum actually offers that if you're a Spectrum internet subscriber.