Goodbye Xfinity

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by reneg, Feb 18, 2020.

1. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Today, I dropped off three cablecards at the Xfinity store and canceled my service. I contemplated dropping Xfinity last year, but wound up with a discounted year contract which just expired. During my contract, Xfinity dropped TCM, Cinemax, & Starz from my package and raised fees outside my contract. Enough was enough. Fortunately, I have a choice for ISPs and have been with ATT fiber.

My setup is not typical and is now more complicated than with Xfinity+Tivo, but I'm paying significantly less on a monthly basis. I installed a rooftop antenna for OTA stations. I'm still a Tivo customer with OTA having a Roamio, Bolt, and an old Premiere. I also bought a HDHomerun Quattro for OTA. I tried Plex DVR, but the spouse vetoed it. I went with Fubo TV for "cable" channels though YouTube TV was a close second. Fubo only carries three of the six main local stations in my zip code. I'm running Channels DVR on a PC to aggregate the OTA stations (from the HDHomerun) & Fubo TV stations supporting "TV Everywhere" under a unified Channels DVR UI for the spouse. I use the Tivos to record and archive OTA shows to my Plex server running on the same PC as Channels DVR. Channels DVR allows me to record and archive most of the "cable" channels I care about. On the client side for the various TVs, I standardized on Firestick 4K's with wired ethernet connectivity.

One complication is that TBS and History channels are not available through "TV Everywhere" on Fubo so Channels DVR cannot see/record those channels. We have to use the Fubo app to watch/record those two channels.

I picked up three months of Starz for .99/month through Amazon, and will probably add HBO on Amazon while it's on sale. Planning on adding/dropping premium channels on Amazon when there's content I like.

Between Fubo TV & Channels DVR, I'm running ~$62/month. That is less than half of what I was paying Xfinity per month.

2. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    So you had just Xfinity TV without internet before and that was like twice the $62 you now pay Fubo and Channels DVR? How much is the ATT fiber?

3. janitor53

janitor53 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I know that everyone is different and has different priorities...but some of you have such complicated TV setups, it doesn't make much sense to me.

page7, dishrich and trip1eX like this.
  4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I guess everyone has their stress points and money is one of them. For me, in reading about this setup, I'd gladly pay 62 bucks more. How do you like the Channels DVR? I was going to try it out but then found out you can't record premium channels with it. Dealbreaker for me.

5. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I'm paying $60/month for 1gbs symmetrical up & download speeds, no data cap with ATT.

6. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    So far, I'm liking Channels DVR, I've had Plex setup for years. Channels DVR seemed like the best fit for me in archiving recordings and having a UI that the spouse accepted. I like that it aggregates multiple sources into a single UI presentation. I like that the developers are very active in the support forums. I like that I can archive non-premium channels. Not recording premium channels was not a deal breaker for me, but I understand your position.

PSU_Sudzi and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I was going to try to do away with Comcast TV but when I called in Dec about getting some type of discount if I renew they came up with a good deal. Even though I am still paying a lot each month, They lowered my monthly cost by $70 and upped my internet speed to 1 g, added more channels and the sports package and gave me free Netflix. I haven't switch my cell phones over yet because I want to see how their system works out. That would save me another $50 a month on my Vz cell service.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    So you were paying like $120-130 just for Xfinity TV before?

9. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    My last Xfinity bill after the latest fee increases was $150 but included premium channels, HBO, Showtime, Starz (Now Epix). Next month, if I did nothing, my bill would have increased another $40 as my discounts expired. I could have played CSR roulette, downsized my subscription package or bundled in another service I didn't need. I've been dealing with Comcast/Xfinity since they took over from Time Warner in our city many years ago and I need a break from them. A lot depends on how well Channels DVR works for my spouse as she mostly watches linear TV. I'm going to hold onto my cable only Tivos for a while just in case I have go back.

Adding in current premium channels from my Xfinity package from Amazon would add HBO ($15), Showtime ($11), Epix ($6) or another $32/month. I plan on being more choosy about which premium channels I add and for how long. Even adding in another $32/month on top of Fubo + Channels DVR, it's still not an apples to apples comparison with Xfinity because I now get about half the channels I had with Xfinity. On the plus side, we're more rightsized to the channels we watch and not paying for as many channels we don't watch.

10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Sounds exhausting; but I get it. I could not have a set-up that is complicated as I have household members who would not handle it.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    I am trying to do the same but am finding the move to be difficult. The only way I truly see I can save money is by removing TV period. Our economical situation is getting difficult which is what's driving me more than anything else to do this. My current services are 220+ channels with 200 mbps internet with Xfinity for $140 a month. I use my own modem and a tivo roamio pro with these services. In October my contract and discounts will be up, but in 14 years with them they have always given me deals signing new contracts.

I'd love to have good internet and Tv for no more than $110 a month but that doesn't seem realistic. Aside from saving money, my disappointments with xfinity are data caps and how compressed the channels are. Back in October when they began compressing my local channels that ticked me off. So I began experimenting with channels dvr on an old pc and picked up a apple tv 4k to play with it. Channels DVR is almost perfect. It could fill the void well if I were to sell my tivo roamio pro and the mini. I also snatched a HD Homerun 4 tuner ota box to work with channels dvr. Since October I've been testing this with the addition of TV everywhere which works well having xfinity and has most of my channels. Picture is better than with comcast qam but again some channels are missing. Also eats into that data cap except for the locals of course. Channels DVR software is beautiful and always getting better.

Tv everywhere support starts to get poor if I were to move to a streaming service. I have tried youtube TV and sling. I don't like the youtube interface too much and it's missing some of my favorite channels. I like sling and picture quality is better than comcast which says a lot. I know among the streaming services sling isn't at the top of picture quality but again it is noticeably better than comcast. They also have all the channels I want, but their TV everywhere support is at the bottom making channels dvr useless. Also to get what I want from sling is about $70 a month. Combine that with what AT&T is offering me for fiber internet 1 gig unlimited ($80 plus taxes for 1st year) and sling, it be more than what I pay now. If I go with it all on AT&T the internet being 300 mbps without caps and the TV choice package then it would be $110 a month plus fees and taxes for 12 months. Then it jumps to about $180 a month after. There are some flaws as there are just a couple of channels I wouldn't be getting and the streaming box is for one tv. I am not sure there's an app I could install for the TV in the bedroom to access the service which means another $10 a month for 2nd box.

This is why I agree with those that say this may not be worth it. I've been doing my homework since October and looking hard the last two weeks to make a move and it's tiring. Typing this up is also frustrating. I'd miss my sports but maybe I should do away with cable tv period in any form whether it be linear or streaming. I'll keep digging for the rest of the week for a solution.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  12. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Yeah everyone says they save so much money, but just watching tv becomes so complicated. The user interfaces are not good, switching back and forth, on and on. Eventually all the streamers keep raising prices. OTA in my are is not good and having stations cut in and out and worrying about antenna positions, etc is too much hassle. I don't like cable prices, but you have to pay for things in this world.

NashGuy likes this.
  13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I'm paying Xfinity $153/mnth (recent increase) for 250mbps internet and digital preferred. Recently lost WE and TCM among others...Starz Epix which I didnt subscribe to. My initial 2 yr contract is up in June. I probably will try for a decent internet along with YTTV but if Comcast can "wow" me, I will stick with them...and my 2 Tivo boxes. Picture quality is also a big issue. Anything will be better than this horrible 720p on all channels--yes my locals have been down rezzed. If it comes down to $15-$20 one way or another I will probably go with YTTV simply for the PQ.

14. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Last month I signed up for the new Preferred Pro+ Triple Play for a 24 month $130 deal and 1 year contract. Normal price is $160.

It includes Gigabit, 220+ channels, HBO/Show and voice. I don't use voice but having it helps get a better deal.

I have the X1 DVR for $5, $10 for 2 Tivo cablecards after discounts, and a Netgear CM1150v modem.

My total Comcast bill is around $190 a month.

15. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    so $190/mo for triple play not $130? ;)

16. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Yes, there are about $45 in taxes and fees with Comcast. I don't mind $200 or less total. If it goes
    above $200 in 2 years I will try another deal or drop down a tier or something.

17. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Taxes and fees in a typical Comcast package (i.e., BTV, RS, and Franchise fees plus sales tax) should amount to somewhere between $25 and $30. VoIP service will add more fees (e.g., 911 and Universal Connectivity charge), but I can't imagine that those would be as high as $15.

Out of curiosity, could you share the particulars of your invoice with us and tell us your geographic location?

18. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I think he's right in the ballpark with taxes & fees. With just cable TV, my taxes & fees broke down as follows:
    HD Technology Fee - $10
    Additional Outlet Cablecard - $9.95 minus $10.00 customer owned equipment
    Broadcast Fee - $14.95
    Regional Sports Fee - $8.00
    State Cost Recovery Charge - $0.74
    Regulatory Cost Recovery - $0.07
    Sales Tax - $11.43
    Total Taxes & Fees - $55.14 minus $10 for customer owned equipment or about $45 dollars.

This is why I'm no longer a Xfinity customer.

mdavej likes this.
  19. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    For one thing, the HD Technology Fee is a thing of the past. All of the current TV packages include HD with no additional fee. Anyone still paying that fee is on a legacy subscription deal and should see about getting it removed.

Secondly, that sales tax of $11.43 is abnormally high IME. Either you had a very high retail price subject to sales tax or you live in a very high tax area or both. But even so, your taxes and fees as listed above (and less the HD Tech fee) came to $35.19. In most cases, it should be under $30--which is, of course, still unconscionably high when the basic service is advertised at a price that fails to account for the add-on costs.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  20. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Broadcast TV Fee $13.70
    Regional Sports Fee $8.25
    Franchise Fee $7.16
    Public, Educ & Govt Fee $1.38
    Regulatory Cost Recovery $0.07
    City Amusement Tax $10.51

That’s $41.07