Goodbye TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by skiajl6297, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1 of 172
    skiajl6297

skiajl6297 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Kind of a sad day here. I just got off the phone with TiVo CSR to cancel service. Been with TiVo for 9 years. I don't recall the last time that I made a decision to cancel a product I have been using and actually felt sad about it. I have loved TiVo since I was in college. I introduced it to friends and family. I bragged about it, showed it off, embraced the culture. I have viewed forums like these for years. I'm moving on to fios dvr with img1.9. I'll save money, never have to buy hardware again, and will have an innovative product that is regularly updated and attended to. Not to say it will ever be as pleasurable to use as TiVo, but I am ok with that. I want a modern, easy to use, updated, functional box that I don't have to buy on top of my cable service. TiVo just isn't there anymore.

I want TiVo to succeed and to come out with the next big thing in TV. Sadly, I think they never quite got it, nor did they adjust to the changing times. I hope fios works out. If not, maybe, someday, I'll fire up the old tivo box. But until then, adios TiVo. You were good. Just not as good as you could have been.

2. Nov 11, 2011 #2 of 172
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    That's doubtful, unless you're going to be renting hardware from now on.

3. Nov 11, 2011 #3 of 172
    skiajl6297

skiajl6297 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I will be renting my hardware from fios from now on.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #4 of 172
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I saw img 1.9 today for the first time on my mother-in-laws TV, the guide was so blury i could barely make it out. Reading on other forums the software is very buggy as is all FiOS software updates.
    I have been a FiOS user for the past 6 years. I have had every DVR FiOS uses except the cisco box and thats the one my mother-law has. I currently have a Moto 7232-2. You are going to be very disapointed leaving a TiVo for a Verizon DVR.
    First thing you are likely to notice, with img 1.9 is the blury guide font, next the inconsistant guide data. Next the fact the FiOS DVR's miss recordings and due to the guide data even when you set them to only record new you get new and reruns....sometimes. Next will be video stuttuers and audio drops but dont take my word on any of this, cancel TiVo, go solely with a FiOS DVR and see for yourself..you'll be back..Vaya Con Dios

5. Nov 11, 2011 #5 of 172
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    If it works for you, then good luck. I personally hate renting hardware and would rather own it.

Hate to see you go. Not sure I could ever leave Tivo at this time, I did it once and regretted it.

6. Nov 11, 2011 #6 of 172
    skiajl6297

skiajl6297 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I have the new cisco box, and haven't had any issues with a blurry menu. I also have a very large tv, so perhaps it is less viewable on < 50" screens. Definitely something I'll keep an eye out for though. Been using the 1.9 for about a month and haven't had any audio/video hiccups yet, but knock on wood, they won't start now that you mention it. (I will be watching closely! Thanks for making me paranoid!)

One important factor here is that I don't watch as much tv as I used to. It is important for me to get real value for my money. And TiVo has dropped to a niche add-on kind of product for me. Sure it has some perks and does things really well, but the other guys do similar things just well enough (and in some cases better) to legitimately compete. And unless you REALLY care about your DVR, I don't see any benefit to a TiVo for the majority of consumers. And at the end of the day, I'd venture to say that's why TiVo isn't exactly flourishing financially. I don't want to invest in hardware being built on a slowly sinking ship. (again, just my two cents on TiVo's future, consult your financial adviser on determining the sinking ship's status on your own).

Ultimately, I am not here to bash TiVo - I loved it, and would keep it if money were no object and I could outfit all of my tv's with TiVos, but for me, in my situation, it was sensible to move on. Just had to share with some folks that might appreciate the fact that I am actually feeling a tinge of sadness for leaving a stupid hunk of electronics behind.

7. Nov 11, 2011 #7 of 172
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Good luck, I couldn't justify paying $200 a year for something I wasn't going to own.

8. Nov 11, 2011 #8 of 172
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    Best wishes, take care.

9. Nov 11, 2011 #9 of 172
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Didn't you at least try to get the $99 lifetime deal on whatever you were cancelling to increase its resale value?

10. Nov 11, 2011 #10 of 172
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm with you on this, even though I know it makes more financial sense to lease depreciating assets and own appreciating assets.

11. Nov 11, 2011 #11 of 172
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It' hard for me to justify using anything (for personal purposes) I don't own. I don't even have a screwdriver or wrench in my toolbox that I have not modified for superior performance and to better meet my needs. I refuse to run an OS on a computer (or a DVR) that I cannot easily modify. Why on Earth would I ever pay a large sum of money for a device that only meets the needs someone who will never even meet me thinks I should have, rather than the ones I do have?

Absolute deal killers:

1. No way to replace the hard drive with a larger drive.
    2. No way to backup the hard drive in case the internal drive fails.
    3. No way to replace the OS Kernel or any of its applications.
    4. No way to add 3rd party applications.
    5. No ftp or telet access.
    6. No pyTivo (an inferior app does not count).
    7. No TiVoWebPlus (again, an inferior app does not count).
    8. No kmttg (again, well, you know...).
    9. No vidmgr (again... yeah).
    10. No Galleon (again... ahem).
    11. Does it support uploading to an external device in any form or format?
    12. Does it support downloading from a local device in any format (this I think maybe it does)?
    13. No wishlists.
    14. No Suggestions.
    There are also a lot of other features that are not deal killers, but the lack of even one of the above is unacceptable.

12. Nov 11, 2011 #12 of 172
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It makes the most financial sense not to have a DVR, CableTV, or a TV at all. If money were the only consideration, I would own nothing but a 1 room shack with a stove, a refrigerator, and a bicycle parked out front. It's also not true leasing depreciating assets makes more sense. It is only true if the cost of leasing is less than the average cost of the life of the purchased asset. We have a pickup truck that is over 40 years old with more than 500,000 miles on it. Leasing pickups for 43 years would have cost vastly more than the $5000 purchase price plus the relatively modest maintenance costs on the vehicle. The personal vehicle I drive every day (a Camaro convertible) would have cost much more than the $14,000 I paid for it in 2005.

13. Nov 11, 2011 #13 of 172
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    You may even decide you want to use the Tivo to get the off air stations at some point. I'm using Time Warners DVR's because like you I had decided the same thing a couple of years ago, but since then I have been getting free DVR service from them so I hooked the Tivo's back up to get the off air programs I want to watch, and use the TWC DVR's to record the cable shows. Who says you cant have 4 tuners without buying an Elite! :D Also I like to transfer stuff to the Tivo's with pyTivo so that was something else I missed.

14. Nov 11, 2011 #14 of 172
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You've been paying monthly for 9 years? Should have gotten lifetime!

(or even if you had 2-3 Tivos in that time, should have gotten lifetime!)

15. Nov 11, 2011 #15 of 172
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Any bets when he'll be back?

16. Nov 12, 2011 #16 of 172
    Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    If the cable companies offer the Tivo Q I will rent it.

17. Nov 12, 2011 #17 of 172
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Verizon isnt going to do that..

18. Nov 12, 2011 #18 of 172
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    While you may never have to buy hardware again, it's doubtful that you'll ever save money renting a cableco's DVR. Depending on which Tivo you have, your monthly fees may be lower than the DVR you're renting. Also, with a Tivo, you can at least get something back by selling it when you're done using it. You have zero equity in the box you rent.

There are other options to both Tivo and the cableco DVR that won't cost you anything in monthly fees other than the TV package, although there can be a sizable initial investment and it's not a plug and play solution. Some level of technical expertise is required, but you don't have to be a guru either. I'll just leave it at that rather than get on my soapbox again.

19. Nov 12, 2011 #19 of 172
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been with FiOS 4+ years. If I had been using FiOS DVRs all that time instead of TiVos I would have paid much more money. The FiOS DVRs cost more in the long run and from what I have seen in my area with my neighbors, are not as reliable(They are always complaining about missed recordings). And of course you can't save the content like you can with TiVo Desktop either.

20. Nov 12, 2011 #20 of 172
    Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    One would think that with success that Virgin Media is having with TiVo that it send both Verizon and AT&T running to TiVo with suitcases full of money. Can you see the number of people who drop Cox, Comcast and Time-Warner if Verizon and AT&T both change all their boxes to the TiVo-Q and advertise and supported the TiVo the way Virgin did.