Goodbye TiVo. It's been a good run.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by emmgee, Dec 17, 2019.

1. emmgee

emmgee New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    [I hope someone from TiVo participated in this forum. If not, I send the following "out into the Universe.]

I don't remember exactly when I bought my first TiVo. Probably 2002 or 2003. My wife and I loved the ability to time-shift given our new family and we loved having a catalog of things to watch when the regular TV schedule wasn't very good.

I think I've upgrade four times. The most recent was a few months back to the Bolt. I hated the Bolt. The new software was a big step backwards. It was very confusing. I hoped that the voice search (or search in general) would increase our viewing options. It didn't help at all. My wife couldn't figure out how to use the new software and I wasn't far ahead of here. I wanted to go back to the way it was.

Then came the threat of ads that precede shows. What?!?! That's a big reason I liked TiVo – you could skip commercials quickly or in some cases TiVo inserted automatic skips. And now I'm going to have to see ads that TiVo inserts? And do I need Tivo +? No! I have Apple TV, Netflix, etc. I don't need one more streaming service and subscription fee.

The nail in the coffin came with a letter from Comcast. They announced they were increasing Internet speeds but would have to upgrade my equipment. To make a long story short I learned via this process that I could subscribe to X1, get the X1 DVR, and gigabit Internet for $80 less per month than I was paying. $80 x 12 = about a thousand bucks a year savings. I couldn't turn that down.

But was the X1 DVR any good? The jury is still out after less than a week but it's not bad. The hard drive is very noisy. It doesn't have the skip feature. But the UI is logical and as far as I can tell they aren't trying to put commercials in front of shows that I record. I miss some things about the old TiVo UI but I miss NOTHING about the new UI.

I am willing to pay for a better DVR. Unfortunately TiVo is no longer a better DVR. I stuck with TiVo for over 15 years but they have let me down. I sympathize that TiVo has struggled vs. the cable TV DVRs. I understand that they have to make money some way. But for any product, if the features get worse and someone else has better features, then over time people will migrate to "better".

I'll keep an open mind about the future. I have been with Comcast/Infinity for a long time too and they used to drive me crazy. But I have to admit they are getting better. The Internet service is rock solid. They come for service appointments when they say they will. The guy who came last week to install the X1 was very solid. The tech support is pretty good. TiVo has gone in the opposite direction.

So I reluctantly am saying goodbye. I hope that TiVo finds a good customer base that is willing to pay their price and watch their ads. I'm no longer in their target market.

hairyblue, ncsercs, trip1eX and 9 others like this.
  2. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Member

Aug 20, 2013
    :up:

3. Bruce24

Bruce24 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston
    The X1 has what Comcast calls Smart Resume to skip through commercials. It only works on what they consider to be the most popular shows. To use it, you just hit fast forward when the commercial starts and it will resume play after the commercials. The X1 also support the 30 second skip or any time interval you set.

see:
    Smart Resume for Fast-Forwarding Commercial Breaks in Select DVR Recordings – Xfinity
    How to program a 30-second skip button for Xfinity X1

4. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I suspect, depending upon the real impact (not complaints) that cable services will start adding commercials to the beginning of recorded programs. If they can figure a way to make more money they all will.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    This angst sort of reminds me of jobs I worked at. I really enjoyed the late 90s and to some extent the early 2000s but since then its been downhill. Parties are gone. Sabbaticals are gone. Cubes and offices are gone. Heck even dedicated workspaces are gone.

kettledrum, lynncosbm and Mikeguy like this.
  6. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Yep and you can also use voice to skip commercials and it works pretty well. We would say skip 2 minutes or fast forward 2 minutes and it would skip the 2 minutes.

7. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Comcast promo pricing is appealing... till the first year is up and you pay regular price.

kettledrum and Puppy76 like this.
  8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The Bolt can be reverted to "TiVo Experience 3", which also avoids the pre-roll ads. No voice search, though.

Rey, SullyND and jrtroo like this.
  9. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Not if you get on a 2-year promo where (at least) the base price IS fixed the same...I'm in the middle of a 2 year now & while the broadcast TV fee went up $5 next month, that IS the only increase that happened to me.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    in our market, you can take advantage of this pricing and still use tivo, even though the x1 included with the pricing - just ask for tivo to be set as the primary box on your account, and you'll even get a monthly credit, too (i receive the "equipment upgrade" solicitations).

tim1724 likes this.
  11. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    One year versus two year promo varies by area. Here there's just the one year promo.

12. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I'm 10 months into a year promo with Comcast. Besides the broadcast fees get jacked up next month, in my package, Comcast has dropped MGM, TMC, Cinemax (replaced with HITZ) and Starz is slated to move out of my package and replaced with Epix at the end of this month. My Comcast bill has increased $20/month since I started this promo rate. I plan to dump Comcast and keep Tivo for OTA & Channels DVR for OTT Streaming. I wish you better luck with Comcast than I had. I'm so happy that I have a choice for Internet providers.

filovirus and Puppy76 like this.
  13. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Just downgrade the Bolt to the old software and everything will be exactly like it was.

jrtroo likes this.
  14. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    What does Comcast charge for additional outlets (TiVo mini) + equipment?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shwru980r likes this.
  15. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    For my local Comcast, they charge an additional Outlet Fee which is bundled with the second cablecard ($9.95 Outlet Fee -$2.50 Customer owned equipment credit). First cablecard has no Outlet Fee. I have two Tivo minis and no charges from Comcast on these. If Comcast could figure out a way, I'm positive they would find another fee to charge for them.

mazman likes this.
  16. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I've been with Tivo for about 5 years. I've enjoyed having it for the most part. But I recently ended service because I feel that $180 a year for a guide is simply too much. But because my viewing habits are now 75% streaming, and the rest local/network OTA programs recorded on the Tivo, it's not like I'll be missing much. All network stuff ends up online at some point anyway.

When I called to cancel Tivo, there was no discount incentive for me to stay. In fact, there was to concern about me leaving at all.

My new toy is the Fire Stick 4K that I got for $25. It easily beats Tivo's streaming apps.

17. wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    Next month my Roamio Pro, which still works beautifully on TE3, will reach the 5 years in service point. Have they stopped giving discounted All-in plan pricing? I tried calling during this summer and was told it would be $549.99 for the plan so I declined. I then read somewhere on these forums I think that they won't offer a discount until you pass the 5 year point. I am going to try next month on the 5 year anniversary and see if they offer me a good price to go All-in.

18. mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    I would pay for a better experience. All my Tivos have lifetime on them, so there is not a monthly fee for me except the cable card fee. However, I have resisted and new equipment or upgrades because I don't know if/when I will be converting to new equipment. The streaming apps on the Tivos stink compared to a $25 streaming device. I use to be excited about new innovations from Tivo, but it has been so long. (I do enjoy the automatic skip) I did upgrade to Experience 4. I am use to it now so it does not bother me like others have reported, but I don't necessarily think it's better. Although I have not been plagued with the new commercials yet.

Sorry for the stream of thought here but I really wish we had the old innovative Tivo company back

Lou

19. Rey

Rey Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Yeah,I have a Xg1v4 and that has never really worked well. In other words it stinks. I'm pretty much done with it as I was only using it for the college football games in 4k.

20. Rey

Rey Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    I'd try again. I've been with them for 4 years and got lifetime on my roamio pro for $199.

wbrightfl likes this.