Goodbye TIVO, it’s been good to know you!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Gator1, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Gator1

Gator1 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    Orlando
    Well today I had to pull the plug on TIVO’s life support system. I have had TIVO since the beginning with Directv. When I converted to HD I was left with little options for the future. I did try a TIVO series 3 HDTV DVR with cable. But my cable system has few HD channels and no announced plans to add any while Directv is set to add 70 plus HD channels in Sept. So in order to receive these new HD channels, the only option is the Directv HR20 HD DVR. So I ordered the upgrade from Directv and install has been completed. I will say the HR20 ain’t no TIVO. If you want mpeg 4 reception and you will need this for the future HD channels on Directv, you have one option, the HR20. Maybe, just maybe, the new management at Directv will rethink TIVO and let them back in the game but I really doubt it. Now they have a monopoly on mpeg 4 DVR’s so why would they want to let TIVO back in and give them competition. I have been a member of this forum since 2000 but sadly I have to say Goodbye.

2. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    deja vu. Where have I seen this before!!! :)

3. nms91

nms91 New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Agh, that sucks.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 10
    sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    Give the HR20 some time. I've been a TiVo fan and user non-stop since the fall of '99 (I still use an HDVR2), and I felt the same as you when I first traded in my HR10s for HR20s. While there are some things about the HR20 that can be irksome, given a choice right now between an "MPEG-4 HR-10" and the HR-20, I would choose the HR-20. Besides being much more responsive overall, I find there are many little features and shortcuts it has that the TiVo doesn't that I wouldn't want to go back. Just my .02, of course. Others may feel differently.

You might want to check out the Tips & Tricks document over on DBSTalk. /steve

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 10
    RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Good luck Gator1, you have our condolences. I'm sure they'll welcome you to the group over at dbstalk.com. They're really helpful at telling you all of the work arounds for the 'features'. :eek: Especially with wish lists - oh sorry doesn't have it :thumbsdown: well then DLB's :p - oops there again ... well anyway, they're very helpful at telling you to send it back for the third time, maybe then you'll get a unit that will work :D

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 10
    jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in the same boat (or might be in 3-6 months). I love my Tivo, and specifically switched to DirecTV from Dish because of the first generation DirecTivos. Right now I have an R10 and an HR10. Soon I'm going to have two HDTVs, so I'll need two HD DVRs... I'm not going to buy another HR10 (can't receive any new MPEG4 channels), and I'd prefer both my HD DVRs run on the same platform so I'm not dealing with UI differences.

Cable's not really an option for a number of reasons:
    1) I can't justify spending the cash for the Series 3 or even the new Tivo HD box, especially with the added monthly fees for each box and potential obsolecence issues (one-way cable-cards vs. SDV).
    2) Seattle Comcast DVRs suck (tiny hard drives)
    3) The selection of HD channels in Seattle on cable pales in comparison to satellite

So I wait patiently, hoping that there will be some magic announcement of a MPEG4 Tivo-based DVR for DirecTV (doubtful) or that the HR20s get "good enough" that they'll suffice. I suppose I could go back to Dish, but why. I doubt their HD DVR is any better than the HR20.

Basically feels like there are no good decisions.

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    jw144

jw144 New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Hey guys,

Could somebody explain the mpeg4 situation? I am in the process of updating to hd and I was planning to get a hr10-250 tivo off ebay, since we like our tivo so much and cannot say the same for the Dtv DVRs. But apparently that does not work? Is it possible to use an HD receiver with the tivo on the side for recording (without recording in hd of course). Or am I stuck with the Dtv hd receiver/dvr?

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 10
    RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

Mpeg4 is being used by DirecTV to broadcast some local HD channels. (They generally don't have the independents and PBS locals.) They will also start broadcasting a new group of national channels starting next month. The mpeg4 channels can only be received by DirecTV (i.e. not Tivo in the name) equipment.

The HR10-250 will get local HD broadcast (OTA - over the air) stations using an antenna. They also get the current group of DirecTV's national HD signals, but no one knows for how much longer. Estimates are that the signals will be shut down within the next few months to as far out as the end of next year.

The HR10-250 will continue to receive the standard definition (SD) signals for several more years. It will have over 200 hours of recording capacity in sd and 35 hours in HD.

I don't think you could get an HD receiver from DirecTV and then hook any kind of Tivo or Dtivo unit to it.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 10
    cheezheads

cheezheads New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    My question is how long can I still use the HR10-250 after the new MPEG4 is in place. Will I still be able to receive my local channels in HD from the OTA antenna. If I will then I guess I can just wait to see what Tivo and Direct Tv work out if anything.

10. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Yes, you'll still be able to receive the HD OTA locals. You'll also have 200 hours of SD recording capability off the satellites. DirecTV has not announced any timetable on when they are shutting down the current mpeg2 HD broadcasts, so that will still be there as well for the near future.

Hopefully, DirecTV and Tivo will work something out for those of us who love our Tivos.