Goodbye, Li'l Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Graymalkin, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    This is an elegy to my first TiVo, a Philips 110 purchased in August 1999 for $799, plus $199 lifetime service.

Its original 15GB hard drive was augmented in 2001 with a 160GB hard drive, and it provided faithful service for nearly seven years.

Alas, it died over the weekend after suffering a monthlong bout of stuttering, culminating yesterday in the dreaded Green Screen of Death. Repeated attempts to revive him failed. A call to Philips support resulted in a request of $20 just to talk diagnose the problem.

I decided two years ago to sign a DNR order for him. Spending money to fix a non-networkable Series 1 seemed pointless, especially with Comcast DVRs available now and the Series 3 TiVo on the way. (I'd rather have an S3 TiVo than a Comcast, but it'll have to wait until Comcast starts implementing CableCard access in my neck of the wood).

So goodbye li'l TiVo, he of the plain black eye in a plain black box, yet still a dashing trailblazer of the video landscape, and changer of lives. Mainly mine.

May you rest in peace.

2. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    <sniff> Did it leave behind any other TiVos to carry on in his name?

3. pokegol

pokegol New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Wait, he might not be quite dead yet! It sounds like your original 15gb hard drive might have died. You can restore an image to the 160gb drive and you could be back in business with no cash outlay. Unless of course it is the 160gb drive that died and then you'd have to purchase a new drive. But drives are cheap.

Don't give up hope yet!!!! :)

4. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    So sad !!!
    Sounds like you got some good use out em though!!

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Worst case scenario, you might be able to get a few dollars on e-bay....

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    ALL cable companies have been required by law to offer CableCARDs since July of 2004. There is no "neck of the wood" requirments. A few of the smaller cable companies got extensions right in the beginning, but they have all expired by now. If Comcast does not offer CableCARDs in your area then they are in violation of the FCC mandate and should be reported.

Dan

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    a series 1 with lifetime and large hard drive would get more than a few dollars on Ebay, even if not working. I also agree you could find an image for the thing and make the large hard drive work and then get even more bucks on Ebay. Should not have to spend anymore on it at all

8. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    :eek: What a rip-off! :mad: Tell you what pay-pal me $10 and I'll talk it over with you. ;) :D

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Indeed. Even if he can't fix the box or doesn't want to, the lifetime service on it has some value. You can get some money out of the box on eBay and put it towards a new Series 2 and monthly service. That will hold him over until the Series 3 is available.

10. Rocketslc

Rocketslc Active Member

Jan 4, 2004
    SLC, Utah...
    I would like to offer our assistance in providing a dignified final resting place for the dearly departed.
    We, of course, would be willing to pay a nominal shipping fee to have the remains sent here.

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm not technically adept enough to swap out and reconfigure the hard drives. I may have a friend help me with that, and see if we can get it up and running without a major cash outlay. If that's possible, then I'll eBay the li'l fellow. But that may be 2-3 months down the road.

In the meantime, I'm going to test-drive the Comcast DVR and digital cable service. It'll add $25 a month to my cable bill, which isn't onerous -- and I'll be getting dual tuners, which will come in handy in March.

It's good to know that I'll be able to use the S3 when it comes out.

12. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
    Gray,

Bring it with you to the March party and I'll help you fix it.

13. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Sell NOW while prices are high on eBay. Put the money away, and you'll have most of the $$ you'll need for the S3.

Good idea to rent DVR until S3 comes out.

14. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Thanks for the offer, Stan, but I'm a bit reluctant to bring it on the plane and check it through.

I was thinking about getting help with it at the Philadelphia meet in April, since I'll be driving there.

15. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Looks like it might be fixed sooner than that, at a different get-together.

And I decided to get a refurb 40-hour unit with one year's service prepaid. That'll actually be two years service since this will be a secondary unit. It's cheaper than eight months of Comcast DVR service, and it'll last until 2008 -- when it'll be HDTV time.

16. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Gray, sorry to hear about the dead unit.

Couple of points:

From what I understand, Philips will apply the $20 service charge towards the replacement charge if you want it repaired by their official source.

Congrats on picking up a factory renewed unit. Bear in mind that if your lifetime unit that qualifies you for the Multi-Sub Discount doesn't make a connection to the TiVo service in six months then your other unit will revert from $6.95 to $12.95. So hopefully you can get it repaired and calling in before six months go by.

Good luck!

Best regards,
    Stephen

17. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Thanks, Stephen. I already have three Series 2 units with lifetime subs, so I don't have to worry about the Series 1 coming back home. :)

18. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Wasn't August 1999 before the change in the Lifetime wording? Aren't Lifetime subs from then transferrable to a new box? Or has that been done with?

19. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I believe that was a limited-time offer. I did, in fact, take TiVo up on that offer when I swapped out my second Series 1 for my first Series 2. But this Series 1 has an additional hard drive installed, and I wasn't ready at the time to give up 140 hours for a mere 40 hours.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'd love to get the lifetime service swapped over. Oh, Stephen...

20. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    The grandfather date for Lifetime transfers is if you purchased your Lifetime service before January 21, 2000. You're allowed a one-time transfer to any other standalone unit. We still honor the terms of that grandfather exception; however, note that if you have already transferred service once, then you don't get to do so a second time.

Gray, I didn't look up your account, so I didn't see if you qualify or not. Send me an e-mail with the TiVo Service Number if you want me to look it up.

It may take me a while to respond since I'm out on paternity leave until February 15th.