Goodbye HR10-250! the most unreliable piece of gear I've ever owned

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pixlpush, Jun 24, 2007.

1. pixlpush

pixlpush New Member

Oct 7, 2004

Advertisements

I just called and got the $19.95 deal to get a HR20 and new dish. I'm looking forward to putting the HR10-250 out to pasture, it won't even boot up right now. It’s crashed so many times since the last software update I can’t even keep track anymore. Without the support this forum has provided I would have taken the thing out into the street and beat it with a baseball bat long ago. I purchased my HR10-250 shortly after they came out for nearly $1000.00. I can unequivocally say it is the most problematic piece of electronic equipment I've ever owned, a complete piece of crap in my opinion. I’ll spare you the gory details but here's a short summary that will no doubt sound familiar to you HR10 owners: Dead slow menus, 2 dead HDMI cards, 3 replacement boxes, software upgrade leaves it DOA, replaced 6 hardrives, and that's all I can remember. My technophobe wife is now convinced that they're something fundamentally wrong with HDTV because the HR10-250 failed so many times and refuses to record any of her programs in HD. I can only hope that the HR20 is better, its hard to imagine it being any worse.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And for the other side of the coin, my HR10-250 has worked just fine through all of the software upgrades.

We'll see you on the DBSTalk HR20 forum. :)

3. pixlpush

pixlpush New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Well I'm glad not everyone has had my experience. The only reason I put up with it so long was there weren't any other options available and I couldn't make myself eat the $1000.00 purchase price. Here's hoping for better things from the HR20 :D

4. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I agree with Jim, I have not seen problems with my two HR10-250s other than some audio dropouts after 6.3b was received. Maybe you have a problem with too much heat or unreliable power. If so, you will probably also have problems with your new HR20 unless you provide better air circulation or a UPS.
    I also purchased my first HR10-250 shortly after they came out for $1000. Its still going strong.

5. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Advertisements

We've got 3 HR10's and when the units were all on 3.x, the only problem was....as they filled up with programming they got slower.

I let them upgrade one at a time, and with 6.3a I had the audio dropout problem on local OTA channels (10 second dropout on one of them). When 6.3d came, I let all 3 upgrade and they've been performing flawlessly since.

We added an HR20 to the mix, and we've been extremely disappointed with the performance of the unit. Hopefully, you'll have better luck than we did.

6. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I have two HR10s and in each one, the HDMI card died. I switched to component output and still use them, but it meant I had to rewire my whole AV system to configure for sound. It's been frustrating, but I expect to get another 8-10 months out of my HR10s before I swap them for HR20s to add to the one I already have ...

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I guess I am lucky with regards to the HDMI problem because my HDTV doesn't have an HDMI input. :)
    I don't even know if that card works.

8. headcase

headcase New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    That sounds pretty rough -- I feel for ya.

My two HR10-250's and my two SD TiVo's have been going strong, hacks and all. Then again, whenever it started to act a little flakey, I was happy to wipe the hard drive clean. ;-)

9. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I have 4 HR10-250's And they are flawless. Although I have replaced all of the original hard drives with 400GB 7200RPM units, I have had only one hard drive failure and that was an original 250GB drive.
    All upgrades to 6.3D went well, No audio dropouts, lockup's, missed recordings. Moves fast through menus, When I press record, it does it without long wait times. My dad's unit plays just as well also.
    I will use these units until the sun sets on the MPEG2 stream.
    Don't know why some people have trouble with their HR10's. The only reason that I can think of is that there hard drives have bad spots that the new software wrote to.

10. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I've worked with dozens of HDTivos and only one that I've owned personally ever had an issue with the HDMI card. The only other problems I've ever had with any of them is when 6.3 was first introduced. I experienced the audio dropout problems that plagued most people. You can blame Tivo and DirecTV for the issue and not the hardware.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your HDTivo. As with any consumer product, there are lemons out there and it sounds like you got one. I'd bet that a clean OS install would have fixed your problem. If not, then a new hard drive probably would. It's been my experience that taking software upgrades on top of a bad running Tivo just exaggerates the situation. It's best to wipe the slate clean and start over in most instances. I've wasted too much time and energy over the years trying to track down software problems on Tivos. It's just faster and easier to start over from scratch.

11. sleeplyee

sleeplyee New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Have a nice deal. I like it.

12. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Sorry to hear you had such problems with your HR10. Both of mine came from the original batch. Other than 2 bad HDMI cards, which I gave up on, they have both worked fine. I did get the new 5 lnb dish and multiswitch installed over the weekend , so I'm ready for the HR20's now. Just not sure when to get them. No new channels are available I can't get yet....

13. bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    Wow - I never had problems with my HR10 either. However, I know that there are some people who had issues with them.

That's one reason why I decided to move forward with the HR20. I read people were having issues with them, but I also read people were having issues with the HR10. I thought, hey, just 'cause they are having issues doesn't mean that I will have issues. Glad I ordered it, no problems with the HR20 at all.

My HR10 is now in my bedroom, hoooked up to an old 27" CRT (non hi-def). It still makes a very nice 200 hour SD tivo. :)

Bryan

14. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    HDTivo rocks!

15. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to HR10-250 problems. I'm on my second. The first died after about a year. My current one performed flawlessly until the latest software release. There were no problems until about a month after it updated to 6.3d and now, for the past month at least, it locks up daily on average and must be manually reboooted. Then it works fine for an indeterminate amout of time before locking up again.

The Protection Plan has already agreed to replace it with an HR20 which I will own and to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish. But I really don't want to lose the TiVo software and have not okayed the swap yet. But, I'm getting closer every day.

You don't suppose there's something inserted in the software to cause the remaining HR10-250s to gradually go bad, do you? Pardon me while I adjust my aluminum hat. ;)

16. rb5505

rb5505 Member

Jul 28, 2004
    while not perfect, our hr10-250 was mostly trouble free. i recall some problems during the upgrade software time, but that eventually ended (knocking on wood). an hr20-700 is due soon, hopefully i'll adapt to it. the tivo design for me will be hard to follow.

17. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    HDTivo is the greatest!

18. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I was an HR10 fan, but cmon people, you can't say they are flawless or wonderful. If you were stuck with an early model you had to deal with HDMI problems.

But even if you didn't, the 6.3, 6.3a, 6.3b, 6.3c, 6.3d fiasco was the final straw. I was honestly very happy with the functionality I had with the HR10 (directv combined with OTA HD), but couldn't deal with their horrible support. It was either going to be an HR20 or Series3, but with the HR20 having so many problems and Directv requiring the HD package, the series3 made sense.

Best decision I ever made. Saving a TON of dough on analog cable and getting OTA HD...

19. zamzickles

zamzickles New Member

May 21, 2002
    The OC
    Sat T-60 and HR10-250 both are on their 3rd drives. I use them alot but don't think I'll ever be able to justify the $1000 for the HR10. If you were deep into computers, you find that few computers, even high end models, are able to playback HD, while recording 2 HD streams in the backround.

The truth of the matter is that they proposed and delivered a product that was ahead of it's time, and possibly, not up to doing everything we expected at the same time. The weak link was always the hard drive.

20. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Obviously you've never owned a DISH 501, a DISH 508, or a DISH 721 (or anything running Windows ME on it).

I've had the exact opposite experience, with 3 HR10's, which are remarkably reliable compared to everything else I've used. Yours was a piece of crap, no contest there. My three are magical.