Goodbye Frozen Premiere XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by azbimmer, May 20, 2011.

1. azbimmer

azbimmer New Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I have been a happy TiVo customer for a decade. My current Series 3 (lifetime) has operated flawlessly for the last 2 years.

So despite a nagging feeling about the Premiere XL's reliability, I went ahead and ordered one from TiVo direct. The box arrived promptly. It took much longer than usual to boot up, and about 90 minutes later, I was excited to watch my new Premiere XL.

The green screen of death stuck soon. Pulled the plug, rebooted another 30 minutes, PXL is back up.

10 minutes later, another freeze. Searched this forum and Tivo.com/support, and switched back to the "classic" UI.

The box froze twice in succession.

Frustrated beyond belief, I call TiVo today to get an RMA. Rude reps who put you on hold because you want a RMA and not a replacement. Will not refund shipping charges.

Poor quality. Obnoxious customer service. No wonder TiVo is losing money every quarter.

I expect the company to fold within a few years.

RIP Tivo. You had such promise. And how you wasted it.

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't doubt your experience or frustration. But I wonder if your box shipped with older software? If you have any patience left, perhaps try connecting to the TiVo service to check for updates.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Seriously, you should consider letting customer service replace the box - occasionally there IS a dud, that's the nature of electronics, not just Tivo. For what it's worth, I have a PXL that works fine with all software updates applied. I even use the HDUI.

If you're dead set on burning all your bridges, I just wanted to point out that if you paid with a credit card or your debit card, you might be able to dispute that to get the shipping charges back if you're interested. I've had luck with that in the past when a merchant did not deliver as promised.

About the rest of what you said... I'm afraid all too many of us here, in the back of our minds, share your prognosis for Tivo, whether or not we admit it. Here's hoping we're all wrong and lifetime service isn't a waste!