Goodbye DirecTV :.(

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jordanz, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1 of 40
    jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA

Advertisements

After ~12 years with DirecTV it's time to say goodbye. Tomorrow the Comcast installer is coming and tonight I'm picking up a Tivo HD. As I leave the DirecTV building, I'd like to give a special raspberry to the imbeciles who let the DirecTV/Tivo relationship disintegrate.

2. Aug 7, 2007 #2 of 40
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Ok.

3. Aug 7, 2007 #3 of 40
    ClemSole

ClemSole New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    You'll be back.

4. Aug 7, 2007 #4 of 40
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Word to the wise: Don't cancel DirecTV until after you're satisfied with the performance of the TiVo HD over a period of at least a week.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 40
    durl

durl 67° 40% chance/rain

Dec 1, 2005
    Blaine, MO

Advertisements

I have both an HR10-250 (Tivo) and the Directv HR20. I really like the HR20 even though I didn't think I would.

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 40
    Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    See this is the way to post it. If stanly would have put it like this I never would have gotten on his case. :up: I had nothing against anyone posting about the Directv dvrs untill Stanly comes in and says its better than tivo you wont miss tivo. I have used both and I prefer the tivo interface. I had an r15 and did not like it at all. My nephew had a hr20 and preferred a SD TiVo. Someday I may have no choice in the matter. Than I will use the hr20. In life you can almost get used to anything. When I first got my 42 IN Plasma it was strange to watch it after a 32 inch. Now I would have it no other way. I am happy watching SD On it.

If someday I am forced to use a directdvr It will be like jumping in a cold pool. I will adapt. (Just Like The Borg)

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 40
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Don't go Just yet the disintegration may not be total Yet.. IMO you can put your D* Account on hold and pay nothing. and see what happens in the next 6 months. We may all get a surprise and find out that D* resigns a new contract with tivo. Call D* and tell them you want to temporarily suspend your account. There is no monthly charge to do this. DO NOT Allow the Comcast installer To touch your D* Wiring. Watch them very carefully. Tell them that you intend to have both Directv and comcast. If you Don't they will butcher your D* wires and use them to run the comcast!!

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 40
    jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Actually, I'm keeping D* upstairs. If Comcast is as bad as everyone says, I will join the HR20 Borg.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 40
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    So basically your opening post was a complete falsehood.

10. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I hate troll posts like this.

Yes, I really am leaving DirecTV. Yes, the Comcast guy is coming today (in about an hour). I don't mind giving DirecTV another month's fees so I can compare the two.

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Well you made a choice and thats the choice you must live with..... so Bye and enjoy :D

12. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Ok, which is it? Are you completely shutting off your Directv? From your last post, I take that as no. So explain to me how are you leaving if you plan on leaving a device connected and continue to pay a sub to Directv?

13. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    For the remainder of August, I'll have D* upstairs. Then, after that, I turn it off.

14. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Why not just suspend the account. You pay no monthly fee. And it makes it easy to go back. If say directv anounces a new S3 Directivo. Still its your choice

15. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Others are offering the OP some good advice. Why not Suspend your Directv account and then if you are not happy with the Cable, switch back. It costs nothing, and if you do decide to switch back, its alot easier than starting again.

16. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I didn't know that was a possibility. I'll definitely do that.

17. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    The title should read "Soon to be Goodbye to DirecTv"!

Your title and then the initial posts implied you were leaving and not turning back.

Then, you stated that you were keeping it upstairs when presented with the "side by side" scenario.

You have been a member long enough (despite the few posts) to know better than to "approach" the masses like that. I am surprised you didn;t get flamed!!

At any rate, I was CLOSE to getting cable, but their high installation fees made me change my mind. I will wait until this fall when the new "birds" start broadcasting!

18. jordanz

jordanz A is A

Jun 21, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I didn't realize that there are so many pedantics here. I stand by my original post. I really am leaving DirecTV. Because there is no downside to it, I'm leaving DirecTV in my bedroom for the remainder of August. After that, I'm turning it off and getting another Tivo HD box. I also reserve the right to change my mind in the future.

19. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    :) Be sure you check in here before changing your mind, just in case you need a boatload of advice before doing so. :)

Seriously, I hope you get a chance to let us know how your transition went and how satisfied you are with the end result--TiVo HD on cable.

I am considering the same type of change, but I need to see where both Comcast (with their "upcoming" TiVo version) and DirecTV (with their upcoming HDTV channel expansion) go in the near future.

20. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I'll keep all these technicalities in mind when I make my "So long, DirecTV!" post. :D