Good website illustrating Multi-Switch installation?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gores95, Jan 21, 2006.

1. gores95

gores95 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    North Jersey

Advertisements

Hello. Here is my situation. We have a Direct TV triple LMB oval dish with built in mulitswitch so four total outputs...two to BR TiVo, one to family room receiver and one to basement receiver. Wife wants another TiVo in FR and possibly one in BM as well. Would like the TiVo's to be dual tuner of course.

So I am set to buy an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ on eBay for $49.95 which seems like a good deal. While I have been a wiz at splitting & installing cable wires (not too challenging!) I know nothing about the installation of a multiswitch and powered vs unpowered, cables, etc.

Is there a good site that details a multiswitch install for beginning satellite do-it-yourselfers? Detailed pics are also nice! ;)

Any other words of wisdom? The satellite dish is against the side of the house and the FR TV is against the same side. All wires feed from the dish to the basement which is right below FR. It would seem that everything should line up pretty simply.

Thanks,

Marc

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    There's a good thread stuck to the top of this forum.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=55509

Essentially though this is simple. Just run the four outputs from your dish into the switch and then each output to where you want it to go.

If I understand your post correctly, you currently have all four going into your basement. If that's the case, then that is the best place for you to put your multiswitch.

3. gores95

gores95 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    North Jersey
    Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked by the dish and it looks like THREE wires go into the basement first and the fourth goes directly up the side of the house to the Master BR. If I use the 5X8 multiswitch in the basement do I need to bring all four dish outputs into the basement first or can I bring three in and leave the one connected directly to the BR?

Thanks.

4. greywolf

greywolf New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Evanston IL
    All four are required for full function.

5. gores95

gores95 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    North Jersey

Advertisements

It looks like what the initial installer of the Dish did was to utilize the old prewired cable TV hookups in the BR, FR and basement. This is why three of the outputs came into the basement and then through the old cable wires to the three rooms. The dual tuner in our BR needed a fourth cable so the installer went right up the side of the house (tucked into the corner vinyl siding) and into our BR.

Will this make installation that much harder? I guess I could leave the wire intact on the side of the house but I would have to go first from the dish into the baement then back outside again to utilize this wire? Does any of this make sense?

Sorry confused and lots of questions.

Thanks,

Marc

6. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    You should run a wire from the dish to the basement and then one back up from the MS to meet the wire that is run to the MB.

7. kschauwe

kschauwe Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Bowling...
    http://www.18inch.com/