Good to have TiVo inside your DirecTV DVR not NDS

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mtchamp, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Has anyone else been to DirecTV's forum for DVR's? It's pretty depressing how the R15 is treating people. They are all waiting on some pie in the sky big fix for all the bugs that will be "addressed in a future update". It's just amazing that DirecTV would bring the NDS product to the US considering it's poor track record and continuing problems in the UK. I don't see any way that DirecTV/NDS can fix the R15 problems without causing more bugs just as what happened in the UK right now.

I'll continue my subscription for now with DirecTV while my TiVo's are still working and I have lifetime, but the day will come when I might have to leave DirecTV for the new TiVo Series3.

Official DirecTV Forum
    http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/defaultview?msgBoardID=10100106

UK - Digital Spy - Sky+ Forum
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=35

2. DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005

You're not supposed to be discussing it here, though, are you? Or is it...you can discuss the R15 as long as it's bad, but not if you have anything good to say? :rolleyes:

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The Other forum for R15 "Discussion" is going on...

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

The R15 has it's issues, but it is not a total loss cause... Couple of fixes and the box would be a very good product.

Funny how we all forget how Perfect TiVo was when it first came out of the box...

And as another note... it is NOT NDS inside, DirecTV re-wrote the code from the ground up. Sure utilizing pieces from the NDS/Sky experience, but overall the code is not a "tweaked" Sky+ product.

4. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    I think it's important that people who come here for info know that DirecTV now has DVR's without TiVo inside. I have read where people have committed themselves to 2 more years for a free DVR they thought was TiVo and where very dissapointed. They have a lot of trouble exchanging the non-TiVo R15 for a TiVo. Buyer beware.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Same can be said for those that think they are get a "TiVo, Inc." TiVo... instead of a DirecTV-TiVo combo unit.

6. DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, the forum admins would beg to differ. They don't want talk of the R15 here. (although it seems like bad-mouthing get through sometimes)... And don't act like you were doing a public service. :rolleyes: Your thread title is pure gloating.

7. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Ya because TiVo would NEVER release a product that has all sorts of bug in it. DARN that DirecTV.