Good signal, but bad picture

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wareynolds, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Feb 2, 2007 #1 of 16
    wareynolds

wareynolds New Member

Jan 28, 2004

Advertisements

I am not sure what to do here. I have been having a problem where shows are just all garbled. Not the whole show, but it keeps popping up where the picture goes pixelated and sound messes up. Like there is a bad storm and signal is degraded. This seems to mostly happen at night.

So, last night I decided to look at the signal. Every transponder was ok, with signal on the lowest one being 77. Most were in the 90's. Every time I have checked the signal it is good, but still having problems.

As I said, this seems to happen mostly at night. My Daily Show's are getting all messed up. Here is my setup.

Single round dish - Multiswitch (less than year old) - Hughes HDVR2.

I live in michigan and it is winter, but....?

2. Feb 2, 2007 #2 of 16
    Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Could be a HD going bad. Those are some symptoms of that. Having any stopples?

It could be other things too, but if you're technically inclined, a backup of your drive might be in order just in case.

3. Feb 2, 2007 #3 of 16
    Les_D

Les_D New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Right Here!
    Same thing has been happening to me, I thought it was only on one tuner, but it appears to be both.
    The livingroom tivo is fine on the same channels.

I'm upgradeing my PC to Vista this weekend & I'll have a spare 120gig drive, I think I'll be swapping them.

4. Feb 3, 2007 #4 of 16
    gclifft

gclifft New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I am having the same problem, but only with Tuner 2. I tried reversing the cables, thinking I had a bad feed to tuner 2, but that had no effect. I replaced the HD, but still no difference. I also eliminated my multiswitch and sent two feeds directly to the DVR, but again no difference.

Any other suggestions?

Does anyone repair these units? Mine is a Hughes HDVR2.

Thanks.

5. Feb 3, 2007 #5 of 16
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...

Advertisements

The company here might be able to do the repair.

6. Feb 3, 2007 #6 of 16
    wareynolds

wareynolds New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Ok, backing up the hard drive. Is the best way a DD copy? And where is the best place for a 120gb replacement.

Is there any way to test the hard drive in the tivo? ie run some sort of diag?

7. Feb 3, 2007 #7 of 16
    gclifft

gclifft New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I don't know about any diagnostics, but if you GOOGLE search for MFS Tools you will find a soureforge web site that has lots of info, etc. The documentation describes how to do a backup/restore, etc.

I used this last year when I converted my TIVO from a 40GB HD to a 120GB HD and it worked great!

8. Feb 3, 2007 #8 of 16
    gclifft

gclifft New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I did some searching on this forum and found the solution to my problem. The other folks suggested removing the s-video cable. Once I did that my unit started working perfectly again, so now I am just using composite output. Hope this trick works for you as well.

9. Feb 4, 2007 #9 of 16
    wareynolds

wareynolds New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    I will try that, but why would this mess up the recording? I use s-video on the main tv but coax to another one. Do you have a link to that othe thread.

10. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  11. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    It's a problem mostly reported on the HDVR2s out of all of the S2 DTivo units. It isn't common; many people have HDVR2s with no 2nd tuner problem at all.

My suspicion is that it is some kind of PC board grounding design flaw involving the 2nd tuner and the S-Video jack. The tuner is what grabs a particular channel out of the datastream that contains all of the satellite channels. If it messes up decoding its data then it will write bad data on the disc.

12. wareynolds

wareynolds New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    So with this tuner two problem, would the signal strength show lower? Mine are both always good. I have pulled the S-Video, but have not had a change to look at any of the recorded programs.

I still do not get how you can tell it is only on tuner 2.

13. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    FYI: I use dd_rescue when cloning one drive to another - it will give you a status of the copy and will 'slow down' and retry when it hits bad spots. You'll find it on many of the bootable Linux CDs.

14. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    FYI: I use dd_rescue when cloning one drive to another - it will give you a status of the copy and will 'slow down' and retry when it hits bad spots. You'll find it on many of the bootable Linux CDs.

If you want to go to a B&M (brick and mortar) store, try looking for sales via http://www.salescircular.com - if online order, I'd recommend http://www.newegg.com

15. roamerr

roamerr New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    NC
    Svideo cable removal just worked for me. I have 3 HDVR2's but one of them started pixelizing bad on some channels. I tried the lines to the tivo but the lines were fine. Removed the svideo cable and replaced it with a composite and its back to perfect.

Odd fix but it worked!! :)

16. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Many DVR's using S Video have this problem.

goony has provided a good point. it most probally is a design flaw.

So just switch out the S Video Cable and use composites.