Good Omens - Episode 1 - "In the Beginning"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kdmorse, May 31, 2019.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Discussion thread for Good Omens on Amazon Prime/BBC. This is the Episode 1 thread, "In the Beginning". No spoilers past Episode 1 in this thread.

Episode thread index:

Good Omens - Episode 1 - "In the Beginning"
    Good Omens - Episode 2 - "The Book"
    Good Omens - Episode 3 - "Hard Times"
    Good Omens - Episode 4 - "Saturday Morning Funtime"
    Good Omens - Episode 5 - "The Doomsday Option"
    Good Omens - Episode 6+ - "The Very Last Day of the Rest of Their Lives"

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I've watched Episode 1, and it's safe to say that it's *exceptionally* faithful to the source material.

I was a little worried for the first 10 minutes or so, I can't say if the beginning was just an uneven start, or if it just took a while to accept the portrayals, and especially the narrator's voice. The garden of Eden scene just seemed, awkward.

But after that, it was certainly excellent - especially once Crowly and Aziraphale started spending time on the screen together. And by the end, all I wanted to do was hit play on episode 2. Flip a coin as to whether I go to bed tonight, or just bing watch for the next 5 hours. ;)

I'd be very interested to see what folks who haven't read the book think about it. (Do people that haven't read the book even know about it, will it pick up viewers from non-readers?)

3. Jun 1, 2019 #3 of 19
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I never read the book but saw promos and was intrigued. Only could watch the first 15 minutes or so before I had to leave, also one of my daughters (maybe both) would really get into this (anything with Tennant, actually) so I'll probably watch it with her starting sometime this weekend.

4. Jun 1, 2019 #4 of 19
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Great cast and kind of a cross between Hitchhikers, Series of Unfortunate Events and American Gods.

5. Jun 1, 2019 #5 of 19
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I did not read the book, but I did binge on the series. I would not call it great, but it was solid and entertaining enough to keep my attention through all 6 episodes. I recommend giving it a try.

6. Jun 2, 2019 #6 of 19
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Finished watching E01.

So, The Doctor is finally a ginger?

Overall feel of the show reminds me very much of that show where Rob Lowe played a chain smoking priest at the Vatican. Don't recall much of that one but wasn't it also about the Apocalypse?

Didn't grab me all over like some shows but I enjoyed it well enough. And at least nobody got eaten by a vagina.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  7. Jun 2, 2019 #7 of 19
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    We managed to squeeze one episode in before everyone had to take off for the weekend... won't be able to watch more (probably) until tomorrow :(,

They are sticking pretty closely to the book (which is to be expected since Gaiman is the showrunner and wrote all six episodes). As someone who loved the book, all I can say is that some great characters haven't even been introduced yet. I'm really, really looking forward to the rest.

8. Jun 3, 2019 #8 of 19
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    YES! I couldn't recall what this reminded me of, but that's it. And I liked that show. This seems pretty good so far.

Never read, or heard of the book. Just saw a few promos for it, and it seemed like the kind of show I might enjoy.

9. Jun 4, 2019 #9 of 19
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Agreed the start was a bit rough, and the fact that Aziraphale and Crawley kept randomly shimmying was distracting. But one it jumped forward several thousand years it got much better.
    I'd actually only managed to watch about half of this episode over the weekend, but watched the rest last night (and then finally managed to stop myself and go to bed after episode 4)

10. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    I didn’t even realize there were books. Will add to my list.

Saw the promos, liked the cast, and have just started. It did take a bit to get into... Then suddenly I had watched four episodes. Thoroughly enjoyable.

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    There is one book: Good Omens. Of course Gaiman and Pratchett have tons of amazing books individually but this is the only collaboration and there's no sequel... it's all we'll get :(

SoBelle0 likes this.
  12. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    At one point, they'd kicked around some ideas for a sequel -- mostly focusing on Gabriel -- and Gaiman included a bit of that in this series.

13. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Thousands petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime's Good Omens

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not to mention it's a little hard to "cancel" a show that has already ended. Maybe they want to bar it from the afterlife..?

stellie93 likes this.
  15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Heh. Good stuff. :)

16. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    :D

Though I guess we don't have a good snappy verb for "remove from the streaming service (so nobody else can watch it)". But yeah, I kind of doubt most of them know it was a limited run series that wasn't planning to produce any more episodes/seasons.

17. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Probably not considering they didn't know which service it was on.

18. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Now they're going to go to Netflix, notice it isn't there and think they succeeded.

jeetkunedo likes this.