Good deal on Hitachi drive at Best Buy

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Micosm, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Micosm

Micosm New Member

Jan 6, 2006

Advertisements

Just wanted to let everyone know that Best Buy has their 250GB Hitachi hard drives on sale for $90 this week. No mail in rebates and this drive seems to have a lot favorable reviews around the net and comes w/ a 3 year warranty.

Micosm

2. sully007

sully007 New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Will this fit in a TIVO???

3. MokTask

MokTask New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I'm sure it will "fit" unless this is a throw-back to the larger full-height drives. :)

Enough with the smart comments...

From my reading, you'll have to enable the large HD support for upgrades, or have a newer model of Tivo to use all 250gig, without that, you'd lose half the storage space...

4. arctanstevo

arctanstevo bla

Mar 27, 2003
    S.F Bay Area
    Fry's had it for $50 last week with rebates - may want to see if it's still going on. I just put it in my $29 refurb unit last weekend.

5. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego

Advertisements

Fry's / Outpost has a 200gb Maxtor on sale for $69.99 (no rebate req) with free shipping.

6. AppState

AppState Mountaineers

Jan 9, 2003
    I upgraded a Humax 80 hour with the Hitachi drive last night. Seems to be working very well.

best 77:36
    high 124:21
    medium 163:49
    basic 272:34

7. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Let us know how long it survives in a Tivo environment. Word on the street is that IBM/Hitachi drives absolutely suck for use in a Tivo. I just hope it's got a decent warranty.

If it's a half-height 3-1/2" IDE drive (i.e., currently the standard for all PC drives) it will fit in a Tivo.

Fry's is notorious for losing rebate submittal forms. It's not unusual to have to resubmit it several times before they process a rebate check.