going wireless....can't

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tattube, Aug 20, 2011.

1. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Just finished installing my first router - Netgear WNDR4000.
    It is working good with my desktop (wired) and the laptop.

I went to install the Tivo N wireless adaptor, but the Premiere XL won't let me.

Following the instructions in the booklet that came with the adaptor - first step is to disconnect the phone line....that's as far as I get.
    The remote seems to slowly die...I can get as far as Settings/Messages>Settings (with very slow response) , then when I click on Network/Phone -- nothing, no yellow donut, no sound effect. The yellow light on the remote does light up with each button press.
    Plugging the phone line back in does not help. Need to restart...have done this twice thinking maybe the first time was just a fluke.

Tried calling TiVo CS and guess what?...their phones are down. :(

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Did you hook it up to the PC and set up the N adapter first?

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
  4. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    No, but I just finished printing a bunch of how-to's from support.tivo.

One of them is on updating firmware for the adaptor, hooked up to the PC. I'll tackle that tomorrow - it's been a long day.

After reading/skimming some of these how-to's, it seems that the instructions that came with the adaptor would best be used as kindling.

I'm thinking what I need to do is:
    1. Update the adaptor firmware and do the adaptor setup while hooked up directly to the PC.
    2. Scroll to network/phone on the Tivo box while the phone line is still plugged in (remember - the remote became inoperative within seconds of pulling the phone cord) and change from phone connection to network.
    3. Pull the phone line, hook up the adaptor, and hit the WPS button on the router, and then on the adaptor.

I'd be grateful if you would let me know if I am missing any steps here.

Many thanks

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Per the OP, he never got past the "disconnect the phone line" step, so firmware shouldn't be an issue.

Does the yellow LED on the TiVo light up when you press a button on the remote? Is there any possibility of a nearby remote between cushions or under something so it is interfering with the TiVo remote? You're not by any chance using a slide remote are you?

6. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    lpwcomp -

in response to your questions

After pulling the phone plug,the yellow donut lights up during the increasingly slow responses navigating the menus until I reach 'network & phone', at which point the tivo is non-responsive - no more yellow donut.

Only have the 1 remote that came with the tivo...peanut/glo.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    OP,
    You keep saying that you're "unplugging the phone line" the Premiere doesn't have a phone jack, are you using the USB modem for it? If so, try removing the whole USB modem plug not just disconnecting the phone line.

8. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Well, I just successfully completed the manual setup for the adaptor.

Hooked it up to the Tivo box and forced a connection - the WPS routine did not seem to be working.

The forced connection went through...looks like I might have to wait a day or two to get the HDUI downloaded from Tivo, but the SDUI is still there - and I can see that all the network addresses are in place (at least it seems that way).

Thanks to all of you for your input...It was all helpful.

Oh yeah - I called Tivo CS just to ask about the slowdown when the phone line was pulled (pure curiousity on my part)....it was a first for the CSR I spoke to, and nothing in their cheat sheets about it.

Thanks again, one and all.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Premiere does not have a phone line to connect to, but it does have a ethernet port. If you had plugged the phone line into that port, then it could have shorted out.

10. Yosterno

Yosterno Yo Stern O

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    I just switched over to an N Linksys Router and hooked up my new N Wireless adaptor to my TiVo Premiere and it is running but it is running at 2.4GHZ. I can not get it to run on the 5GHZ like it is suppose to. The light on the wireless adaptor is Green and won't change to Blue. I called TiVo and they told me I needed to add a 2nd channel to my router but wouldn't explain how to do that. Does anyone know how to get this working and can help me out? Thanks!

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Think maybe he's using this?

[​IMG]

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You need to look at your router documentation. What model is it?

13. Yosterno

Yosterno Yo Stern O

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    I do not have the documentation from the router. It is a Linkseys WRT160N V3. Linksys tells me its a TiVo problem, TiVo tells me its a Linkseys problem

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    According to the data sheet for that model, it is 2.4GHz only.

15. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    "The Premiere does not have a phone line to connect to, but it does have a ethernet port. If you had plugged the phone line into that port, then it could have shorted out."

ThAbtO - You are right - there is no phone jack on the premier...for $30.00 you get a phone adaptor from tivo that connects to one of the USB ports below the ethernet port...lpwcomp has provided the image.

I've had this premier for a year now, and the SD menus and phone connection have given me no problems during that time.
    Just thought it time to go wireless and see if tivo has taken care of any of the HDUI problems that were the source of so many posts a year ago.

I guess I overlooked the green/blue lights as indicating 2.4/5 Ghz connection speed.
    I do have the blue light, which from what I read here indicates 5Ghz.

Since I still don't have access to HDUI menus, I'm thinking of doing a restart...after Kill Bill Vol 2 is over.
    I honestly don't know if that will speed up access to HDUI, but worth a try.

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can still use the SD menu even with network connected.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...

I'm quite sure he knows that.

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Maybe, or maybe not. OP said he connected network and rebooted, no HD menu. (it needs to be enabled.)

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Where did he say he did a restart? He said he was thinking of doing one after Kill Bill Vol.2

20. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010

yup - I knew that.

Path from Tivo Central=settings & messages>settings>displays>choose tivo menus>tivo with hd menus>

message I get on next screen:

we're sorry. for the time being the following conditions must be satisfied to use tivo with hd menus:
    • parental controls & kidzone must be off
    • must use... network connection to the service
    • tv aspect ratio must be 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 smartscreen
    • must select at least one hd video output format - 720p or greater - 1080i/p

Since I meet all these requirements, (I highlighted my settings) I'm thinking the restart might be what is needed to bring the HDUI to life.

Have not done the restart yet - realized I have a program recording til 8:00 PM....so will wait til that's done.

I'll post back tomorrow with the results.