Going to be getting TiVO HD - questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rbenotti, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Hello all!

I am finally going to dump the FiOS DVR (yeah it took me a year) and go back to TiVo.

Going the CableCard route, I want to upgrade capacity and I need to swap my existing TiVo subscription over.

I am thinking this will be the course of action.

Transfer the existing service over to the new TiVo
    Verify the service transfers over (use the QAM tuner to test)
    Clear and delete everything (not sure I have to do this, but I want a clean slate to swap drives and add the cablecard)
    Upgrade drive capacity from 160GB to 500GB

No what is the recommendation for my course of action?

I'll need to resetup the TiVo, then install the Cablecard? Keeping in mind I may have to call FiOS to activate/associate the card.

I've upgraded drive capacity before, but haven't done a Series 3/HD. Does winmfs work or mfstools?

Any advice is great!

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
  3. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    I have two 500 GB drives available at the moment. 318 hours of HD would be nice, but I'm just looking to go slightly higher than the standard 20 hours :)

Keeping that link though for when I need it :)

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Save the original drive, it will be easier if your 500 GB goes bad or you decide to upgrade it.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    WinMFS should work fine. If I were you, I would go ahead and do set up with the stock drive, including cablecard pairing. Then do the upgrade, keep the backup file, and store the stock drive somewhere. That way, if the upgrade drive dies suddenly, you can create a new drive using the backup or the stock drive and your initial settings will be there.

6. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Oh - that is the plan. I forgot to mention that!

Thanks!

7. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    That's a good point. Yeah - the plan is to keep the stock drive as a backup :)

Thanks!