Going from TWC to FIOS???

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mobouser, Oct 21, 2015.

1. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...

Advertisements

Hello, Their installing FIOS in my area (digging up street to run new cable). Presently I have TWC running to my Roamio which was a pain to setup. How hard to switch to FIOS. TWC is working good now Thanks for any response

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    You might get some better results in the Verizon forums over at DSL Reports, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber
    Having said that, Fios doesn't use cable modems, but normally require one of their routers for their TV equipment, you can rent one of their newer Quantum Gateways G1100's for $10 a month or buy it direct from Verizon for $200. You can also get them cheaper before hand off of Ebay. Another option is an Actiontec MI424WR-Rev I, about $50 off Ebay, but it is only 2.4GHz, the G1100 is dual band AC. For the lower speed tiers 25/25, 50/50 they use coax from their ONT (Optical Network Terminal) but require an Ethernet install for speeds 75/75 and above. If you are using Tivo exclusively, you can get an Ethernet install and use your own router, but they want a Verizon router at install and if you need to do any troubleshooting. The Verizon routers use MoCA natively so if you use one of them MoCA on the Tivos is a no-brainer. No POE filter is necessary on Fios, as the MoCA Lan stops at the ONT. It's usually a little cheaper to sign up online, but they won't let you schedule a cablecard immediately, but if you schedule the service install, you can then call to order one. If might be easier to accept one of their boxes initially and then immediately return it. Lots more ands, ifs, and buts.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Wow! Where are you? I hope you appreciate that you are in the small minority of people who will have more than one cable (and broadband) to choose from. I thought Verizon halted their FIOS buildout long ago. in general (based on my poor opinion of TWC's tivo-related support) my advice would be to jump to FIOS ASAP. However if you're happy with TWC, I would choose just based on cost.

4. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    I'm Upstate NY and it has not been that bad for TWC Service. Picture quality is very good just every once in a while I have to reboot the connection. It will be nice not having issues with the cablecard.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Huh? Does FIOS not require CableCards in your area?

What town do you live in? How expensive is the housing? :D

Edit: You have TWC; when you said CableCard you meant Tuning Adapter, didn't you?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Yes Albany NY Area. I have a tuning adapter. Housing Expensive everwhere

7. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yep!
    I'd switch to fios in a heart beat, if only it were available in my 'hood.
    TWC of AT&T are my choices... which is no choice at all.

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I went on Zillow and looked at your Albany asking prices. Your comment gave me a chuckle.

9. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Switching from TWC to FiOS is pretty much a no-brainer. I am actually a TWC customer, and their service in my area is actually pretty decent, but if I could switch to FiOS I would in a New York minute.

10. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    I'm not moving and not familiar with housing cost. Like anywhere some area cheap and other area more expensive. I don't see any connection with housing cost in this discussion.
    Will prob go with FIOS when offered a deal. They put the cables in the ground in our development pretty fast (eighty houses less than a week). They use 3 foot high green plastic termination points between houses.

11. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Where exactly in the Albany area? My brother lives in an Albany suburb - not an incredibly affluent one - and he's been chomping at the bit for FiOS to come to town. A town right next to him has it, but not his.

12. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    I'm in Colonie and FIOS has been on the power poles for years but not in the houses that are fed from underground service. Verizon is starting to go into the housing developments that use buried services and burying large orange colored cables with new termination boxes and their doing it very quickly. They just finished my area today. I will post how all this plays out since were in the early stages of the process.

13. the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Colonie here w/ underground cable neighborhood as well. Subcontractors were marking up my street and our lawns yesterday labeling for underground cabling. Got a bright orange tag on my door saying fiber was getting laid for FiOS next week, and I'm pretty damn excited about it. I just hope getting this cable card isn't going to be a hassle.

14. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    It went very fast on the cable install but sounds like were a week ahead of you on this. I'll post our progress. Cablecard for fios is supposed to be easy.

15. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    It is. Enjoy - and welcome to FiOS! (Just never, ever get the FiOS Quantum DVR hardware. Ever. Did I mention ever?)

16. the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Have you had it installed to your house yet, or they've just run the fiber down your street?

17. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Just in the street. Every house has a new service to the pods between the houses. They still have to go from the pods to individual houses I guess. The primary cable outside of the development runs up a utility pole but is not connected into the system yet either.

18. esilbe1

esilbe1 Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Just curious - did you ever get a cable card and if so, how? I am getting fios in a couple weeks and they told me no cable card was required.

What's the truth of this matter?