Going from 802.11b to 802.11g - Worth it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by fatcat4009, Jan 12, 2006.

1. fatcat4009

fatcat4009 New Member

Nov 28, 2005

Advertisements

ok here is my problem. Right now I have a 802.11g Wireless USB adapter hooked up to my Series 2 tivo. Unfortunately it sends it's beefy 54Mbs signal to my 802.11b DSL router/modem that came with my DSL (got it long before TIVO). Obviously this is a bottle neck and killing my transfer rate. My question to everyone is would it be worth spending the money on a 802.11g modem/router? Right now I can do about 13MBs a minute (800 MB show in one hour) from my TIVO to PC. Will upgrading to "g" really cut that time down? :confused:

Thanks, FATCAT

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Not a lot. With a wired connection a 540 TiVo can do around 16MB/m. That is a speed that is limited by the TiVo internals. 2xx TSN TiVos are faster though. So it depends on which TiVo you have whether you get any improvement.

With Any TiVo just switching to wireless G may not speed things up at all, in fact some have reported a slight slowdown. However, TiVo's new wireless G USB adapter offloads wireless protocol support from the TiVo and does give the speed improvement of a wired connection. So, you may want to consider replacing your adapter rather than your router, or your adapter along with your router.

Mark

3. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    11g outperforms 11b on any TiVo now, TiVo adapter or not. The combination of the TiVo adapter and 11g WAP is the best.

4. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Very "unofficial" test done by me.
    My wireless network consists of Linksys wireless G router w/speedbooster. I got the "g" adapter last saturday. Transferred a one hour show (1.6GB) in one hour.

Disconnected the adapter and took it to my brothers house. He has a linksys B router. With my "G" adaptor connected to his tivo it took almost twice the time to transfer a video.

Again, nothing concrete but I would say the combination of a totally "G" network would be well worth it if you do a fair amount of transferring.
    If you only occasionally do it then I would think you could just start the transfer before you go to bed at night or maybe on your way out the door for work/store. Then it may not be warrented.