Godless - Netflix - limited series western *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TAsunder, Nov 27, 2017.

1. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Started watching this over the holiday weekend. It’s a good Western that really scratches my “traditional Western” itch. About three episodes in and I’m impressed with it so far.

Anyone else watched this yet?

2. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I've been watching. I love traditional westerns, so this has been a real treat.

3. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Felt it was a letdown. Sucks you in but ends poorly.

4. kerry431

kerry431 Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I felt the opposite it started well and ended great....

5. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I'm 2 eps in and really liking it so far. Lot of familiar faces in it.

6. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I enjoyed it, but feel like it could have been better.

I seem to have forgotten exactly what happened in the mine. I thought it was dust in the air that caused a fire that killed everyone. Clearly it was something else in the air, and it acted unbelievably fast, and cleared out quickly. Can anyone clue me in?

7. Dec 5, 2017 #7 of 19
    Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    I finished it a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. A little unbelievable at times, but aren't most shows?

I thought the sequence in the mine happened over a few days but I wasn't sure exactly what happened.

8. Dec 5, 2017 #8 of 19
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I finished it last night and liked the ending. It started great then slowed and I almost bailed.

I stuck around mostly for Jeff Daniels. He was terrific and scary in this.

9. Dec 5, 2017 #9 of 19
    Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    Yeah, I thought Jeff Daniels did a great job. In most things I've seen him in he's played a go along to get along type person, but he was definitely a scary guy in this show.

10. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Jeff Daniels was terrific in HBO's "The Newsroom" and definitely not a go along to get along type guy.

We are a couple of episodes into "Godless" and really enjoying it as well.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I liked it but after a while, I had a hard time rationalizing why most of Frank Griffin's fringe hangers on kept following him.

I felt bad for Whitey. Thought he deserved a better fate.

12. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA

Anybody recognize Whitey as Liam Neeson's son from Love Actually.

13. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    No, but I recognized him as Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones.

14. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    My wife did and was pretty pumped about it.

15. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Just watched the first episode. Excellent. Very stylish. Not surprising given the writer/director's resume. Take a look at his IMDb page. This guy has written a lot of very good movies:

Scott Frank - IMDb

16. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    Just watched the 1st episode. The Marshall at the end said something about the coal in the mine, and that it snuffed out all oxygen for the men in 5 minutes.

ClutchBrake likes this.
  17. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Finished it last night and really enjoyed it. There was some slow parts in the middle but I really enjoyed the final episode. All of the actors were really good.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Finished last night. Ending spoilers for those who are reading before watching!! (this is a spoilers thread so...)

I was caught out a bit by the ending: Frank's insistence that he'd seen his own death had me constantly looking around for something unusual that might do him in, even right up until the last second. For example it seemed to me that the elderly and kids were hiding in the mine so I wondered if he'd go there and then get buried alive or something. However I really liked the ending they gave us instead... it was in line with the rest of the show.

19. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Just finished a re-watch. I loved it the first time, this time around I've concluded it's pretty much a masterpiece, maybe the greatest western series ever. Yes, ever. Not only that, but I'd put it up there with the great classic western films (many of which it pays homage to throughout). Some will consider this blasphemy but they'd be wrong. Not only does the complex, sweeping story have all the elements and themes of those classic westerns, it puts a witty, ingenious modern spin on them. It also has some magnificent cinematography and imagery, worthy of Ford, Peckinpah, Leone, Kurosawa.

Superb in every respect - writing, directing, and acting. Just an amazing piece of drama, sustained for some seven hours.

I repeat, a masterpiece.